Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Nook color - no free WiFi in AT&T hotspots

Ok this is disconcerting.  I don't mind WiFi only, really but what about this?  The nook WiFi has free WiFi in AT&T hotspots, but not nook color.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

Re: Nook color - no free WiFi in AT&T hotspots

I would guess that B&N couldn't negotiate the contract with AT&T to allow that much bandwidth at their current rate.

Contributor
kayannep
0 Kudos

I would agree with this assumption but I'm not sure that it's a huge disadvantage in comparison to the regular Nook wi-fi since the Nookcolor has the 'n' router when the others don't and there are so many non-AT&T hotspot Wifi connections all over.

Frequent Contributor
graycyn
0 Kudos

It's an ENORMOUS disadvantage for me. No WiFi at home... and there's not that much for free WiFi in town other than the library and a restaurant that has it. I live out in the boonies, free WiFi is not all that common.

Not being able to hook into any of the three free AT&T hotspots would severely limit the device usage for me. I think it's a stupid move.

Nook WiFi, Sony 950, 2 Sony 350s.
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980

graycyn wrote:

It's an ENORMOUS disadvantage for me. No WiFi at home... and there's not that much for free WiFi in town other than the library and a restaurant that has it. I live out in the boonies, free WiFi is not all that common.

Not being able to hook into any of the three free AT&T hotspots would severely limit the device usage for me. I think it's a stupid move.

People seem to be confused.

You can still use any ATT WiFi hotspot on a NOOKcolor. The only change here involves (possible) fees for using that hotspot. On a NOOK Classic these fees were waived, hence the "free access to all ATT WiFi hotspots". It is not the case for NOOKcolor, most likely because of bandwidth usage. If the hotspot is free you're welcome to use it. If there is an access fee for the network you are still welcome to use it, but you're going to have to shell out the cash to access it.

That is the only difference.

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

If you use AT&T U-verse for your tv/internet then all the At&T hotspots were already free as well.

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@All,

flyingtoastr is correct.

You can still use any AT&T WiFi hotspot on NOOKcolor.  The only difference is that there may be an access fee to use that AT&T WiFi hotspot/network.

deemure
0 Kudos

Michael-V wrote:

@All,

flyingtoastr is correct.

You can still use any AT&T WiFi hotspot on NOOKcolor.  The only difference is that there may be an access fee to use that AT&T WiFi hotspot/network.

Thank you for that.  I am sorry if my misinterpretation of the comparison chart misled anyone else.  I do believe there should be a better explanation at that point-a simple asterisk with an explanation would be really helpful.  I don't know how the access fee thing would work, but it might be less of an issue if this were stated up front.  It also would help people decide.  Now if only we could get an answer to the PDB question that addresses Fictionwise books.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Reader
okayHC
0 Kudos

Nookcolor WIFI

Wait, so the wifi is anywhere anytime on the nookcolor ?

Frequent Contributor
Rutter9
0 Kudos

Re: Nookcolor WIFI

Sure, as long as you have a constant wifi signal from an internet service..

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

okayHC wrote:

Wait, so the wifi is anywhere anytime on the nookcolor ?

Anywhere, anytime you are in range of a wi-fi hotspot you can connect to.

Globaltech
0 Kudos

except at&t hotspots which is simply odd in that you could use a laptop there but not a nook?  How will they even know what device is trying to connect to wifi?

+++++++++++++++++++
¡sʞooq ɹǝʎ ,uıןɐǝʇs sɯnɹoɟ ǝɥʇ uı ǝɹɐ sǝʇɐɹıd ¡sǝou ɥo
Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

Globaltech wrote:

except at&t hotspots which is simply odd in that you could use a laptop there but not a nook?  How will they even know what device is trying to connect to wifi?

They don't mean you can't connect.  They mean you would have to pay any applicable fees.  Whereas, the classic Nooks automatically connect there for free.  However, a lot of AT&T hotspots are free to everyone now anyway.

Contributor
dudette50
0 Kudos

I want to know if they are planning to put 3g on the nookcolor.  How would I find this out?

very-simple
0 Kudos

dudette50 wrote:

I want to know if they are planning to put 3g on the nookcolor.  How would I find this out?

Contact a psychic?

B&N has already said that they don't know if they're going to come out with a 3G version, so I'm not sure how you expect anyone here to know.

deemure

Clarification on this issue would be great.  There is a chart that says the nook color won't connect to AT&T's free wifi hotspots.  It doesn't talk about potential fees or say that it won't be free, it says it won't connect to free ones.

Also, please do a search about 3G.  The nook color is a device that has more online features which BN cannot give away for free.  If they were to incorporate the cost into the device so that you get it for "free" the cost of the nook color would be signifcantly higher.  Or, you would have to purchase a data plan contract such as you would for an iPad or cell phone.

And adding on 3G probably would increase the size of the nook color-perhaps thickness as well as the weight.

It also can be slower than wifi and other things.

At this time BN has no plans for a 3G version as they have said.

Inspired Correspondent
RodneyJT
0 Kudos

Regarding ATT HotSpots the wording is "Free WiFi in all AT&T hotspots". To me this means you won't have free wifi. Not that you can't connect. Also above it mentions the NOOK is capable of Wireless b/g/n connectivity to wifi, and can connect to B & N Wifi, I know of no technical reason for it not to be able to connect if you're able to connect to wifi in general.

Also from my own experience, I've been able to connect to AT&T hotspots with any device I have capable of WiFi connectivity. Wasn't free until I got AT&T internet service. But I could always connect.

According to AT&T's site: 

"If you do not have the Connection Software and are in an AT&T Wi-Fi Hot Spot, configure your laptop or mobile device to connect to the wireless network with the network name "attwifi". To configure your laptop or mobile device, consult your owner's manual. When you open your web browser, you will be shown an AT&T Wi-Fi Welcome Page with various options that will let you connect to the Internet by purchasing AT&T Wi-Fi access or by signing in to your included or paid AT&T Wi-Fi account."

So as long as the device has a browser to allow you to get past the welcome page you should be able to connect.

So the NOOKcolor should have no problems connecting. Just not for free. 

deemure

Someone else more knowledgeable than I did explain this in another thread.  This is the problem with multiple threads on the same subject being created over and over again.  Important answers get over-looked or missed.

Contributor
dudette50
0 Kudos

Kind of a bitchy answer, I couldn't find the answer on the BN webiste.....  Sorry to inconvenience you!!!!!

deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

dudette50 wrote:

Kind of a bitchy answer, I couldn't find the answer on the BN webiste.....  Sorry to inconvenience you!!!!!

3G isn't practical.  You can easily search numerous threads on this subject which will help you understand why not.