Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
dudette50
0 Kudos

Re: Nookcolor WIFI

I did try to find that answer on other threads and on the regular B & N website.  The reason I asked is I bought my husband the one that has 3g and wi-fi.  I thought that was a good thing to have.  I am going to get one for myself and hoped to get the color with both.  Thanks to the people that answered the question with no animosity. 

Contributor
dudette50
0 Kudos

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@All,

You can still use any AT&T WiFi hotspot on NOOKcolor.  The only difference is that there may be an access fee to use that AT&T WiFi hotspot/network.

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

AT&T announced some time ago that due to heavy bandwidth use by AT&T-enabled devices (iphones, nooks, etc.) is clogging up their system and to stem the clogging, they were going to institute a new data plan. Gone are the days of free or cheap AT&T connectivity like we were used to. Other providers are looking into a similar solution although Sprint has said they are not going to institute such a plan.

If you have the internet at home, you could always install a WiFi router and set up your own hotspot.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Frequent Contributor
graycyn

Thanks for the clarification!

However, paid access to the AT&T hotspots still makes NOOKcolor less desirable to me. As is, I can download my ebooks free on my classic NOOK. I don't really do much with web access and while it might be easier to do with NOOKcolor, I still can't imagine using it often. If I've got to pay to download my free Fridays books, no thanks!

Why? Pretty simple, if you ask me. NOOKcolor has a claimed 8 hour battery life. WiFi cuts into that. As is, my classic NOOK must be charged every 2-3 days, even though left in airplane mode. And it has a much longer "claimed" battery life! I need my reader to be ready for READING!

I guess I'm not one of those clogging the AT&T network... I am out of WiFi mode as soon as my downloads are completed.

Nook WiFi, Sony 950, 2 Sony 350s.
Distinguished Correspondent
gabourele
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nookcolor can still use the free wifi at any barnes and noble stores. I think where you might be misunderstanding this a little, say you go to McDonald's most of them require you purchase a wifi connection to use it i have that issue with my laptop so that would be a place you would have to pay for a connection but other places like starbucks the public libraries hotels etc that use free wifi you are fine those will still be free you will just have to click on the accept terms and conditions tab.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Contributor
nosirrahm
0 Kudos

I don't get the no access to AT&T WiFi hot spots.  If I go to McD's and they are offering it and I can connect via my laptop, then why stop me on my nook?  McD's is offering it for my free usage and now we are going to limit the types of devices that can use it?  What is the difference between my laptop and the NC?

I did try to access at McD's - it made me go to a web page and click on "free connect."  I connected to the WiFi, but I had no internet access.  I didn't give an option to pay either (not that I would have paid).

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

nosirrahm wrote:

I don't get the no access to AT&T WiFi hot spots.  If I go to McD's and they are offering it and I can connect via my laptop, then why stop me on my nook?  McD's is offering it for my free usage and now we are going to limit the types of devices that can use it?  What is the difference between my laptop and the NC?

I did try to access at McD's - it made me go to a web page and click on "free connect."  I connected to the WiFi, but I had no internet access.  I didn't give an option to pay either (not that I would have paid).

This is AT&T and in your case McDonald's decision.  I don't think you read what has been said previously.  Wifi costs money.  AT&T has been eating some of the costs or probably using money from other customers to pay for free hotspots.  It was also good advertising.  However, more devices accessing anything wireless clogs the system, creating slowdowns for everyone or even denial of service at certain times. 

Think about one of the reasons television has moved from the old analog system to digital and why your old RCA no longer can access broadcasts without the convertor box.  The FCC needed access to the broadcast band that was being used by TVs for increased use of emergency service and other communications.  There were other reasons, but this was one. 

Wifi isn't going to remain free because it is a commodity just like anything else.  It's a radio broadcast and in order to create more bandwidth I believe they'd have to build more of an infrastructure capable of delivering it.  But then that also increases the possibility of interference, so....

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Frequent Contributor
Minpinrose
0 Kudos

Re: Nook color - no free WiFi in AT&T hotspots

Where are we on this subject?  My husband and I purchased esp because we will be traveling extensively soon in a camper and we were counting on the free WIFI at B&N if nothing else was available!  I picked NOOKcolor after extensive research and we may still decide on mobile broadband to accompany us while traveling but I really liked the idea of free WIFI.  I feel the ads were definitely misleading.  Enough so to make me consider a return!  Please say it ain't so:smileysad:

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Minpinrose wrote:

Where are we on this subject?  My husband and I purchased esp because we will be traveling extensively soon in a camper and we were counting on the free WIFI at B&N if nothing else was available!  I picked NOOKcolor after extensive research and we may still decide on mobile broadband to accompany us while traveling but I really liked the idea of free WIFI.  I feel the ads were definitely misleading.  Enough so to make me consider a return!  Please say it ain't so:smileysad:

You can use free WiFi anywhere it is offered such as B&N, McDonalds, Starbucks, etc.  What you don't necessarily get is free access to AT&T hotspots.  

From the ColorNook FAQ on the website under support:

4.  Can I connect to AT&T WiFi Hotspots?

Yes, your NOOKcolor can connect to any AT&T Hotspot worldwide, just like any other Wi-Fi enabled device. Many AT&T Hotspots are free; however some AT&T Hotspots may charge a fee, such as those found at some hotels and airports. In addition, after connecting to an AT&T Hotspot, you may be required to launch the web Browser on your NOOKcolor to accept Terms and Conditions or enter additional information on a web page as required by the AT&T Wi-Fi hotspot location where you are attempting to connect.

Frequent Contributor
maryclare
0 Kudos

Re: Nook color - web connectivity

We are going to travel a lot (US) and we are considering getting a wireless data plan and mobile broadband device which will support our PC and netbook.  3G or 4G, will this device also serve the nookcolor?  E-reading is the top priority, and we want basic web browsing and email on the road, so because I love my nook3G+wireless, I'd like to get a nookcolor instead of a tablet, but I need to be able to connect via our wireless data plan.  Any ideas?  Thanks

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

No that will not help you with your Nook Color, you still need a wireless hotspot.

maryclare wrote:

We are going to travel a lot (US) and we are considering getting a wireless data plan and mobile broadband device which will support our PC and netbook.  3G or 4G, will this device also serve the nookcolor?  E-reading is the top priority, and we want basic web browsing and email on the road, so because I love my nook3G+wireless, I'd like to get a nookcolor instead of a tablet, but I need to be able to connect via our wireless data plan.  Any ideas?  Thanks

Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

If your considering a 3g/4g data plan then look at one of the MiFi from one of the carries.  Verzion,   Virgin Mobile and Possible ATT,  That will create a WIFI hotspot for up to 4 devices possible more at this time.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

03FLHT2 wrote:

If your considering a 3g/4g data plan then look at one of the MiFi from one of the carries.  Verzion,   Virgin Mobile and Possible ATT,  That will create a WIFI hotspot for up to 4 devices possible more at this time.

Make sure that whatever device you buy supports infrastructure networking.  NOOKColor won't connect to an ad-hoc network.

Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya, Correct but the MIFI that the networks are giving away or selling for the contract are regular hotspots not ad-hoc as some of the phones create.  They work with all wifi enabled devices.  Just remember the Verzions only have them for you to pay for the usage. With the kids that get them most go over the data plan and that's where Verzions make their real money.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

03FLHT2 wrote:

Ya_Ya, Correct but the MIFI that the networks are giving away or selling for the contract are regular hotspots not ad-hoc as some of the phones create.  

This I didn't know.  

I've never really looked into them, but having heard the limitations of NOOKColor and knowing that the poster was going to be tied to paying a data plan monthly, I figured it would be a good question to make sure she asked. 

[Opens mouth, inserts foot.]  :smileyvery-happy:

New User
marieKW
0 Kudos

I just purchased my Nook color and I am having a hard time getting passed the connect to the wifi part. I have ATT/U-Verse I'm I able to use this to set up my wifi, if so, how do I set this up? 

Frequent Contributor
Tero
0 Kudos

I had the Kindle 3G for a day or two and was not all that impressed, it got me very little info and finally quit. So wifi is more reliable.

Phone plans also will give you a useable 3G on iPhone or Android. I pay 15 dollars a month. I have Nook on the phone too.