New User
green_sea_urchin
0 Kudos

Nook freezes when pausing on a page in an ebook

My apologies if this has been covered.  I tried reading the nook guides and searching the forums.....

If I'm reading an eBook and lay it down for a few minutes,  the page I was reading is displayed; BUT, the unit will NOT respond to any key presses.  The only thing that works is rebooting by holding the power button down.  Is there some way to gracefully wake it up if went to sleep while displaying a page from an ebook? 

It seems to wake just fine when it is displaying the screen saver after I actively put it to sleep, but not if it falls asleep on its own while I'm reading an ebook.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Re: Nook freezes when pausing on a page in an ebook

@green_sea_urchin

Welcome! :smileyhappy:

Does this happen with other books?  It could be a formatting problem with that particular book.  Check that, and then call Customer Service for a fix.  1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665), Option 2 for Digital Support

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Contributor
bkspero
0 Kudos

If you look on the Support Board you will see more than a few reporting similar symptoms, including me.  Those that have specified seem to be on v1.4 of the Nook software.  At least one has had their Nook since the winter with no issues for months until they upgraded to v1.4 and the issues began.  Circumstantial, but seems consistent.  Is yours running 1.3 or 1.4?

I called B&N customer support and they told me to return it to Best Buy for an exchange since it is within the 30 day return window.  Others have been given a process to complete involving battery removal and recharging, as some Nooks have reported lockup issues when power gets low.  I'm skeptical about that, though, as I and many others have experienced this with fully or nearly fully charged batteries.

Good luck.  Let us know what you find out.

New User
green_sea_urchin
0 Kudos

Thanks for the suggestions...  v1.4 is the version installed on my nook.  It does freeze when paused on a page in another ebook.  I called customer support.  The suggested that I take the battery out for 3 hours, and then charge it for 3 hours.  If it happens after that, then call them back for replacement of the battery.  The said that most nook freezes are battery related.

I guess I don't understand why it only freezes (that I can tell) when it is paused on a page in an ebook.  If it were battery related, it would seem that it would freeze doing random operations?  I'll keep you posted.....

Frequent Contributor
nooksst
0 Kudos

This is where it's nice to have a BN store nearby.  It sounds like your Nook is not okay.  At a store, I have found them very anxious to please.  They can swap the battery out with one of their other store Nooks.  If the problem goes away, they give you a new battery.  If the problem doesn't go away, they give you a new Nook.

I don't have the extended warranty, and they have done this kind of thing for me.  I have seen where others on extended warranty had to send their Nooks in for exchange.  I am not knocking extended warranty.  I mention it, so you don't go nuts if you have to send yours in.  Also, I bought mine at BN.  I don't know if that makes a difference.

New User
cheycobb
0 Kudos

I agree that it would be nice to have a B&N shop nearby.... Since I upgraded to v1.4 my Nook "hangs" or freezes at strange times when it goes to the screen saver. More often than not, I have more than 80% charge on the battery so it's not a low battery problem. The ONLY way I can get it work again is to physically remove the battery and put it back in. Then the system reboots and everything is fine. It seems to do this more often when I'm in "airplane mode", too. I've been a software writer and beta tester since the 19080s (yeah, I'm THAT old!) and I'd be willing to bet that this is a software problem and not a hardware problem. I've written to B&N support numerous times and have not gotten any response. I own a Kindle and a Nook and am totally hooked on both but am beginning to think that I may have wasted my money on the Nook. I'm not having any of these types of problems with my Kindle.