Contributor
CurtM

Nook is a tremendous disappointment

I hope the new color Nook is a serious upgrade to the old Nook.  I purchased mine about six months ago, when Nook was first released.  The promise of 1 million titles and all that power in my hands was just too much to resist.

The reality of Nook falls far short of  the promise.  While 1 million titles may be impressive, it isn't much good if that list doesn't include the titles you want to read.  Whenever I have looked for a book I wanted to read, Nook didn't have it.  When I checked Amazon, they had the title for Kindle, so I'd buy it there and read it on my iTouch, while my Nook sat on the shelf.

I would encourage potential customers to look at both the Kindle, and more importantly, the iPad.  With iPad, one can load the apps for both Kindle and Nook, have the selections of both companies and have a far better reader to boot. 

In addition to the limited selection of Nook, the B&W version is crude and slow compared with iPad or iTouch.  The electric ink isn't nearly as friendly to the eyes as with the Touch (clearly this is subjective).

What I'm suggesting here is to carefully consider all choices before buying a Nook on a whim.  Know its limitations and know it's not the best thing since sliced bread.  For me, it was $249 ill spent.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,855

Re: Nook is a tremendous disappointment

You, my dear, are in the very very very small minority if you prefer reading on a 3 inch LCD over a nice big epaper display.

Frequent Contributor
JamieOutlaw

Out of curiosity, what genre of books & titles were you looking for?  I've never really had much of a problem finding the titles I was looking for on the Nook.  You are correct, though, it's a waste if the titles you want are not available :smileyhappy:  

Distinguished Correspondent
The_Most_Happy

Everybody has their preferences.  Frankly, I love my Nook and would not consider the Kindle.

I just purchased and returned an iPad this weekend.  Yes, the ability to consolidate all one's ebooks on a single device is wonderful, but the iPad itself is too heavy to read comfortably.  I ordered Nook Color instead.

Frequent Contributor
ldalvarado
0 Kudos

I've never really had much of a problem finding the titles I was looking for on the Nook.

Ditto. Now, I have had a bit of an issue with the pricing of some of the books I want. But availability, no. In fact, I track all the books I want through B&N, and add them to my e-book wish list if available and to the regular wish list if not. Rght now I have about 100 on my e-book list and 4 on my regular list.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Conniecats

CurtM wrote:

I hope the new color Nook is a serious upgrade to the old Nook.  I purchased mine about six months ago, when Nook was first released.  The promise of 1 million titles and all that power in my hands was just too much to resist.

The reality of Nook falls far short of  the promise.  While 1 million titles may be impressive, it isn't much good if that list doesn't include the titles you want to read.  Whenever I have looked for a book I wanted to read, Nook didn't have it.  When I checked Amazon, they had the title for Kindle, so I'd buy it there and read it on my iTouch, while my Nook sat on the shelf.

I would encourage potential customers to look at both the Kindle, and more importantly, the iPad.  With iPad, one can load the apps for both Kindle and Nook, have the selections of both companies and have a far better reader to boot. 

In addition to the limited selection of Nook, the B&W version is crude and slow compared with iPad or iTouch.  The electric ink isn't nearly as friendly to the eyes as with the Touch (clearly this is subjective).

What I'm suggesting here is to carefully consider all choices before buying a Nook on a whim.  Know its limitations and know it's not the best thing since sliced bread.  For me, it was $249 ill spent.

I generally don't call out other posters as trolls but I really think this person is one.

There are just so many things in the post that throw up red flags, such as -

"I purchased mine about six months ago, when Nook was first released."

Uh, the Nook was released about a year ago. I don't think the poster was talking about the wifi only version, which was released almost 5 months ago, because he said he paid $249.

"Whenever I have looked for a book I wanted to read, Nook didn't have it."

Never? Really? Never, ever could the poster find an ebook out of all the titles available that he wanted to read that was compatible with the Nook? Yet it was always there on Kindle.  

And the comparison of the Nook to the iPad or iTouch is comparing totally different devices.

There's probably more but when someone's first post is trashing the nook with a suspicious story, I have to think he is a troll.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MWorrell
0 Kudos

Different people choose different things. I wanted a Nook because it's more open in terms of what file formats it accepts (I've had it for 9 months), and I'm very happy with it. I like being able to find PDFs and epub files of obscure OOP books online. I like more control over my devices.

However, my wife just wants everything to be as simple as possible, and wants to buy everything in one place, so this week I'm buying her a Kindle. Besides, we looked at both at Best Buy and she prefers the physical keypad and lighter weight of the Kindle. She also thought the dual-screen on the Nook was counterintuitive and sluggish (I protested, but hey...)

My dream device would have an e-ink screen and be able to load reader software from both Amazon and B&N. I hate being stuck with one vendor, and I feel it is a major concession as a consumer.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

I agree with this last poster.  Also, the nook of course isn't for everybody.  Some people are just fine reading on an LCD screen, but many people don't like it.  E-ink simulates the page on a book with lack of glare and it is way less expensive than the iPad. It is not at all appropriate to compare the 2.  Because of course they are different animals meant for different uses.

I do think people need to know what they want a device for:

A nook or any e-ink ereader is mainly for those who want to read text heavy books.  The decision here is based on personal preferences as well as things like availability and format of books the device can read.  One aside is that nook can read library books which is important for many people who don't or can't buy a lot of books.

The NOOKcolor is for people who don't mind reading on an LCD device, but want something larger than an iphone or other phone to read on.  It has many features that will enhance reading magazines, newspapers, as well as other graphic intensive material.  It also features more web connectivity, multimedia potential, and things not usually desired in a basic ereading device.

The iPad is for someone willing to spend more money for a multimedia experience.  It has some limited computer type capabilities but is akin to a souped up netbook without flash capability, without a webcam, without some things that other netbooks or laptops have.  It is not an ereader per se, but can be used as one if you don't mind the larger size.

Finally, if you really want a computer that is portable and can do the things an iPad can and more but that doesn't use that new-fangled touch interface, save some money and buy a laptop.  Or for touch and for a tablet, hold out and wait until others come out that are about the size of an iPad, but that are not as limited as iPad is in my opinion.

It's your money.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Frequent Contributor
Rutter9
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'd hate to break it to you, but you can buy from more outlets then B&N. Heck you can even rent them from the library for free.

You obivously didn't ask anyone for any help, only registered to complain.

Normally I would like to think of avid readers as intelligent people, but I've been proved wrong.

This is a clear example of user error.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I've actually found books available on B&N that were not available on Amazon.  I guess it all depends what you're looking for.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Jadjuka
0 Kudos

deemure wrote:

I agree with this last poster.  Also, the nook of course isn't for everybody.  Some people are just fine reading on an LCD screen, but many people don't like it.  E-ink simulates the page on a book with lack of glare and it is way less expensive than the iPad. It is not at all appropriate to compare the 2.  Because of course they are different animals meant for different uses.

I do think people need to know what they want a device for:

A nook or any e-ink ereader is mainly for those who want to read text heavy books.  The decision here is based on personal preferences as well as things like availability and format of books the device can read.  One aside is that nook can read library books which is important for many people who don't or can't buy a lot of books.

The NOOKcolor is for people who don't mind reading on an LCD device, but want something larger than an iphone or other phone to read on.  It has many features that will enhance reading magazines, newspapers, as well as other graphic intensive material.  It also features more web connectivity, multimedia potential, and things not usually desired in a basic ereading device.

The iPad is for someone willing to spend more money for a multimedia experience.  It has some limited computer type capabilities but is akin to a souped up netbook without flash capability, without a webcam, without some things that other netbooks or laptops have.  It is not an ereader per se, but can be used as one if you don't mind the larger size.

Finally, if you really want a computer that is portable and can do the things an iPad can and more but that doesn't use that new-fangled touch interface, save some money and buy a laptop.  Or for touch and for a tablet, hold out and wait until others come out that are about the size of an iPad, but that are not as limited as iPad is in my opinion.

It's your money.

I agree here on getting a laptop. If you want to surf the web, read, and do other things without the touch screen feature or get stuck with the limitations of the iPad than just get a laptop.

Also I'd like to know which books he couldn't get. So far all the books I want are in ebook format with the exception of the older Dragonlance books, older books from the Magic the Gathering series, and the books by Terry Goodkind. There are more and more books being added to ebook format so its only a matter of time and patience. But really, NONE of the books he wanted were at B&N? I wonder if he searched right...

If he couldn't find the title of the book did he just look up the author to see if maybe the book was there? I had to do this with most of the magic books and Forgotten Realm books. As they say, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Correspondent
g0tr00t
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nice first post....

Please do not assume a first time poster is a "troll".

Also, review our Book Club User Guidelines regarding Being Respectful and Netiquette:

Be respectful. The Book Clubs involve participants with a wide range of beliefs and ideas about the subjects they’re discussing. We encourage an open dialogue, but require that participants remain civil, courteous and respectful at all times. Please avoid any language that is abusive, intimidating, discriminatory, or otherwise objectionable. This also includes having a tone that is consistently critical, derogatory, insolent or otherwise negative. We reserve the right to edit or remove any post that violates these guidelines, and we further reserve the right to limit or suspend the access of any participant who violates these rules.

Netiquette. When posting messages, please remember that the people who read them sometimes can’t tell what you meant to say or how you intended to say it. Avoid “screaming” your thoughts in ALL CAPITAL letters. And remember that your comments will be read by people who may not know you. If you think your comments could be misinterpreted, they probably will be. If you think someone has misunderstood you, or has challenged your position, address it calmly in a non-threatening manner. Your moderator will be able to help, but it’s always best for the participants to work it out.

Additionally, while we do not set formal limits on how much you can post, voluminous posting –- whether in terms of number of posts or their length -- can choke out other conversation. There's room here for many points of view, so don't feel like you need to have the last word.

Correspondent
Taxandria
0 Kudos

Sometimes it feels like 900,000 of the advertised 1 million books are crappy category romances or public domain classics or obscure books no one has heard of (for good reason.)

Just Read: The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan
Reading Now: The Fall by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan
Reading Next: ?
Correspondent
Taxandria
0 Kudos

Rutter9 wrote:

I'd hate to break it to you, but you can buy from more outlets then B&N. Heck you can even rent them from the library for free.

You obivously didn't ask anyone for any help, only registered to complain.

Normally I would like to think of avid readers as intelligent people, but I've been proved wrong.

This is a clear example of user error.

Is it REALLY necessary to insinuate that just because you don't agree with a person that they must be lacking in intelligence? And I don't see where you are the forum police to dictate that people who just register to complain should be subjected to your rudeness. If you don't like it, don't read it. Go read a book instead.

Correspondent
Taxandria
0 Kudos

deemure wrote:

I agree with this last poster.  Also, the nook of course isn't for everybody.  Some people are just fine reading on an LCD screen, but many people don't like it.  E-ink simulates the page on a book with lack of glare and it is way less expensive than the iPad.

I find the Nook to be difficult to read with a book light because the light shines on the page and glares back at me no matter how I try to adjust the light. I've tried 2 lights now (the Nook light and the m-edge light) and it happens with both. Very annoying and tiring to my eyes. In daylight the screen is fine and not as harsh as a computer screen (I have an LED screen to help with eye strain as well.)

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Right-there are often errors search tools make themselves.  Every book I have wanted has been on both sites lately.  BN was playing catch up here, because kindle had been out longer and they had ebooks already earmarked for it.

I see so many people complaining about things when they have no idea what they are talking about.  Repeated reviews for books that are moaning about ebook prices and how BN is trying to rip people off, when it's due to the agency model and the books are the same price at Amazon. 

The only thing that may be better for customers in all this is that exclusivity agreements are going away.  Since the major publishers control an ebook's price, there is no incentive for them to cut such deals with Amazon as they have in the past.  Amazon used to somewhat disregard the price they paid for some ebooks and on certain ones would have the sole right to provide an ebook and would lose money on it to gain kindle store customers.  Now publishers set the price, retailers can't offer their own discount, and independent publishers are putting up content that is not DRMed and that can be converted for use on any platform.

Of course, mostly agency pricing stinks.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
AndyfromVA

For me, it was $249 ill spent.

For me it was $149 very well spent.  Since I bought my Nook in July I've read almost every day.  Most of my books have been from the public library or free books offered by Smashwords or Barnes and Noble.  I also bought two books from B&N for which I paid a "whopping" $11 (The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played With Fire).

I can't think of anything more annoying than trying to read a book on the tiny screen of my cell phone.

An iPad is cool but too big for an ereader and its battery life is too short.

It just goes to show, for every 100 people who enjoy eating cheddar cheese, there's one who prefers Velveeta (and I hate Velveeta).

flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,855

Just need to throw it out there since people keep posting it.

NOOK was never (ever!) $249. The original price was $259.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MWorrell
0 Kudos

I have run into a number of books that are available on the Kindle but not the Nook, but in at least one case I just bought it from eBook Mall. B&Ns selection is simply not as good once you move away from the bestseller list, especially in non-fiction.

It does tend to make me feel misled when I see that a ton of the available books are erotica for women and self-published garbage. It might be a huge market, but that's like being told a movie rental store has a million movies, when 900,000 of those are local used car lot commercials.

Correspondent
Trazy
0 Kudos

AndyfromVA wrote:

It just goes to show, for every 100 people who enjoy eating cheddar cheese, there's one who prefers Velveeta (and I hate Velveeta).

Hah!  I too was thinking about the american cheese analogy!

"You can see a lot by just looking" - Yogi Berra