Contributor
Knitting-Nana
0 Kudos

Re: Nook is a tremendous disappointment

I started out on a Kindle when they first came out and after using it for several years I moved to The Nook when it was released and have never looked back.  The Nook is a better reading experience for me and I have a Nookcolor on order as well, probably will keep both.  I read a lot in low light situations and do not like the glare on the screen that is caused by a booklight.  I don't plan to ever go back to a Kindle.

Contributor
CurtM
0 Kudos

Hi All -

Well, after lots of hand wringing and thinking - and not without a little bit of enthusiasm and knowledgeable guidance from Staples sales people - I purchase a new Kindle 6" 3G/WiFi.

In the short time I have used it, I am now aware of its pluses and minuses and, just like Nook, there are both.  The Kindle does have content available I want to read and, first and foremost, that's why I bought it to sit side-by-side with my Nook.  The software appears a bit more refined in the Kindle than the Nook.  I prefer the keyboard of the Kindle because I make fewer entry mistakes (this is very subjective, though).  What really blows me away is that the 3G allows you to use the browser (and the Kindle's browser is a smoother - in my opinion - implementation than the Nook's.  There are far more magazines and newspapers available on the Kindle.  The overall reading experience is about the same.  I do like having the time appear at the top of the screen of the Nook, however. 

The Nook feels more robust than this new Kindle.  I'm a little bit afraid of damaging the Kindle with rough treatment, but time will tell.  Nook is almost twice as thick and heavy as the new Kindle.

One of the big items for me that the Kindle solves is page turning.  the page turning "buttons" on the Nook is accomplished by pressing on plastic, essential warping it, to make the contact.  On my Nook, this isn't so pleasant because the white plastic rubs against the darlk plastic and is sort of like scratching fingernails on a blackboard.  The Kindle eliminates this issue by using real buttons.

I like Nook's options better: memory and battery are removeable and replaceable.  The Kindle is sealed.

As I said, neither of these devices is perfect.  The Kindle, to my eye, appears a little bit more refined than the Nook and, of importance to me, there is more content available from Amazon.

Thanks to all the nice folks here for their comments over the past weeks.  I think having both devices solves my problem with content.  As I said, nothing is perfect.  I've put my money where my mouth is twice, now, so I think the "troll" label was really unjustified.

Curt

Correspondent
love_my_karma
0 Kudos

I'm sure now you have both, you'll find that each is good at what it does, mainly being an ereader.:smileyhappy:

One thing I have to point out, if you didn't already know, is that you're not required to use the Nook page turn buttons while reading a book, just while paging through libraries and shopping.

It's very easy to use the page swipe on the darkened LCD screen, with no noise at all.:smileywink:

She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (1873)
~ Louisa May Alcott ~
Frequent Contributor
NoOne
0 Kudos

Well, I just got my Nook Classic (with wifi and 3g) today, finally. While I cannot say it is a "tremendous" disappointment, I am puzzled by a couple of limitations. I should say at the start that I also own a Kindle 1, the first generation kindle with limited memory and sd card and no collections (the softward updates are for K2 and k3's not K1s). I purchased my Nook mainly as a library reader but also with the idea that if I am going to switch, now would be a good time to, since if I stay with Kindle, I will be upgrading to a K3.

That said, and I know I should have researched this, I was very surprised that I could not use the 3g to use the web browser and shocked that I have to sideload the latest software update from a computer or go to the library and use their wifi. I live one block from the public library so it not a really big deal, but it is snowy today and I am home sick, so I'm sideloading the update (as soon as I figure out how),  The point is, I can sorta see why they would limit web browsing since the Nook Classic is dedicated ereader, but I really cannot understand why I cannot use the 3g to update the software.

I hope that B&N is not going to continue to limit the 3g in this way. The software updates at least should be available via 3g, since they are a part of the functioning of the device.

Apart from this two limitations on the 3g, I am rather happy with the Nook. I say rather because it will take me awhile to get used to the touchscreen light flashing when I first open a book.  I wish it would go dark faster, but I can get used to it.

Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

NoOne wrote:

Apart from this two limitations on the 3g, I am rather happy with the Nook. I say rather because it will take me awhile to get used to the touchscreen light flashing when I first open a book.  I wish it would go dark faster, but I can get used to it.

You can speed up the timing for the screen to get dark.  Press the "settings" icon and look under the "display" submenu.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
0 Kudos

NoOne wrote:

That said, and I know I should have researched this, I was very surprised that I could not use the 3g to use the web browser and shocked that I have to sideload the latest software update from a computer or go to the library and use their wifi. I live one block from the public library so it not a really big deal, but it is snowy today and I am home sick, so I'm sideloading the update (as soon as I figure out how),  The point is, I can sorta see why they would limit web browsing since the Nook Classic is dedicated ereader, but I really cannot understand why I cannot use the 3g to update the software.

I hope that B&N is not going to continue to limit the 3g in this way. The software updates at least should be available via 3g, since they are a part of the functioning of the device.

I don't know what kind of deal Amazon got with AT&T but 3G data is extremely expensive.  I understand completely why B&N does not make web browsing available over 3G.  Sooner or later that cost has to come back to the consumer somewhere along the line.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

NoOne: Both of these things are the result of the same limitation - namely, that the contract B&N has with AT&T limits the amount of 3G bandwidth that can be used to download to the nook.

The software update file is too large to "fit" within these limits, so it needs to download over wifi (or via computer).  Books, alternatively, are actually tiny file sizes for the most part, and do not hit the bandwidth cap (an exception being for certain books with graphics, which can bump up the file size considerably).

When the nook was first released (and, consequently, when B&N negotiated with AT&T for the service), it had no web browser at all.  People requested an option for a wifi only browser, which seemed like a good compromise, given that B&N hadn't accounted for the additional 3G charges in its pricing structure.  

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

NoOne wrote:

Well, I just got my Nook Classic (with wifi and 3g) today, finally. While I cannot say it is a "tremendous" disappointment, I am puzzled by a couple of limitations. I should say at the start that I also own a Kindle 1, the first generation kindle with limited memory and sd card and no collections (the softward updates are for K2 and k3's not K1s). I purchased my Nook mainly as a library reader but also with the idea that if I am going to switch, now would be a good time to, since if I stay with Kindle, I will be upgrading to a K3.

All else aside, 3G is about 1/10th (or SLOWER) the speed of WiFi and the update is about a 60MB file so over 3G, it would take an hour or more to download the update.   

Second, 3G use is NOT free.    B&N and Amazon have pre-paid AT&T (or others) and that cost is reflected in the cost of the device.   Allowing total unlimited use of a browser or to get huge files is simply not a reasonable thing.    Cell phone owners, with smartphones (that CAN browse the internet) pay generally $30/month to have the capability.   Would you be willing to pay that much so you could browse the interenet with your nook?

---------
Don
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Furthermore, the associated costs with 3G are something Amazon is more able to absorb in some ways due to their size as a retailer.  It's like going to the local non-chain grocer to buy something as opposed to going to a super Walmart.

I personally don't see anything compelling about using a web browser on an e-ink ereader.  The limitations just don't make it worth it.  And sideloading an update is so easy and fast.  There are so many things that are more compelling to me in regards to the nook (kindles are fine for those who like them)-open design, library books, and so on that I couldn't consider a kindle.  Keep in mind there are a great many people that just love their Sony ereaders and most if not all of them require sideloading of content.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Contributor
book_werm
0 Kudos

donc13 wrote:

All else aside, 3G is about 1/10th (or SLOWER) the speed of WiFi and the update is about a 60MB file so over 3G, it would take an hour or more to download the update.   

Second, 3G use is NOT free.    B&N and Amazon have pre-paid AT&T (or others) and that cost is reflected in the cost of the device.   Allowing total unlimited use of a browser or to get huge files is simply not a reasonable thing.    Cell phone owners, with smartphones (that CAN browse the internet) pay generally $30/month to have the capability.   Would you be willing to pay that much so you could browse the interenet with your nook?

Just to help clarify a few points:

After some basic searching, PC World tested AT&T's 3G network earlier this year and saw an average of 1.4mbps in download speeds.  WiFi speeds depend on how your accessing it.  If you're at home on WiFi, for example, and you have a DSL, likely your download speed is topping off at around 2-5mbps.  On cable internet, maybe closer to 7-9mbps.  Either way, that 3G is 1/10 or slower than WiFi is a small exaggeration, depending on how you're accessing WiFi.

In addition, I think a valid point is being made - Amazon offers on the Kindle 3G + WiFi (which is $10 cheaper than the comparable nook) web browing on 3G and software updates on 3G.  They offer more than B&N at a cheaper price.  Amazon probably did a better job of negotiating with AT&T than B&N, but let's not let B&N off the hook and suggest that Amazon customers are paying inflated prices in eBooks because of the additional access.  With agency pricing we're all pretty much paying the same amount, and where books are sold that are not under the agency model, on average I find that Amazon is still cheaper than B&N (maybe by cents or a dollar or two, but in absolutes, cheaper is cheaper). Also, Amazon isn't so much larger than B&N that they can 'eat' the costs for the additional 3G access, especially when there are more Kindles sold than Nooks.  In comparing solely book sales, Amazon owns a larger market share than B&N in NA, but an earlier analogy of comparing a local grocer to Walmart greatly exaggerates the revenue difference and market share between the two companies.

Just my $0.02.

Wordsmith
ImmortalBeloved
0 Kudos

I have an HTC Evo and a 13 inch Macbook pro. I have no desire to pay 500 dollars for a device that runs apps. For that reason I have no motivation to buy an ipad. ipads are for a certain customer. Nook is for another. When the day comes that I want a device to use apps on I will get an ipad. I want to read so I bought a nook.

I have had mine a week and so far I love it. I bought it to read on and for that purpose it works beautifully. I am sure that the library of available books will only continue to grow.