Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

Re: Nook is a tremendous disappointment

I paid 259 for mine and LOVE LOVE LOVE IT.

Did I mention I love it?

Frequent Contributor
JoeNook

I too bought this at full initial price at $259.    I have 0 regrets , it really is the best ereader out on the market.

Played around with the Kindle and found it sooo antiquated.  LIke the Sony but a so so bookstore platform and no wireless on the affordable ones, which are also smaller in size.

The Nook had just what I was looking for.  Epub, LCD touchscreen navigation to compliment it's 6 inch eink screen,  fantastic bookstore platform. wireless, great styling.

Could not ask for a better ereader.

Frequent Contributor
wrapunzel
0 Kudos

Jenniisme wrote:

I paid 259 for mine and LOVE LOVE LOVE IT.

Did I mention I love it?

Ditto!!!  Got mine last December and have had 0 problems with it!  :smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Correspondent
MarkinStLouis
0 Kudos

Taxandria wrote:

I find the Nook to be difficult to read with a book light because the light shines on the page and glares back at me no matter how I try to adjust the light. I've tried 2 lights now (the Nook light and the m-edge light) and it happens with both. Very annoying and tiring to my eyes. In daylight the screen is fine and not as harsh as a computer screen (I have an LED screen to help with eye strain as well.)

I have the m-edge light and don't seem to have the issues you are having.  Between the way I have my light positioned and the way I hold the nook, the only glare I have comes from the white bezel, which doesn't bother me. (Yeah, I know: massive run-on sentence. Sorry).  Not trying to make an argument, just stating that I, personally, have no issues with it.  I'm sorry to hear you don't enjoy yours.

Inspired Correspondent
MarkinStLouis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Guess my last post went up twice for some reason.  Oh well, a placeholder for later, I suppose!

Contributor
Karl264

Since its just sitting on the shelf while you troll message boards feel free to send it to me.  I would like to have another one for my wife.

Frequent Contributor
wrapunzel
0 Kudos

MarkinStLouis wrote:

Taxandria wrote:

I find the Nook to be difficult to read with a book light because the light shines on the page and glares back at me no matter how I try to adjust the light. I've tried 2 lights now (the Nook light and the m-edge light) and it happens with both. Very annoying and tiring to my eyes. In daylight the screen is fine and not as harsh as a computer screen (I have an LED screen to help with eye strain as well.)

I have the m-edge light and don't seem to have the issues you are having.  Between the way I have my light positioned and the way I hold the nook, the only glare I have comes from the white bezel, which doesn't bother me. (Yeah, I know: massive run-on sentence. Sorry).  Not trying to make an argument, just stating that I, personally, have no issues with it.  I'm sorry to hear you don't enjoy yours.

The 'Kandle' book light works well for me! No glare like other lights and it illuminates the whole nook screen.

icy
Contributor
icy
0 Kudos

I love my Nook and I can't wait till the Nook color ships . I plan on keeping them both :smileyhappy: 

It's nice to have choices but I really love my nook .

Contributor
CurtM
0 Kudos

Some misunderstanding.  The iPad is much larger than the Nook.  That's the product I suggest comparing.

Contributor
CurtM
0 Kudos

I read motorcycle and adventure books.  amazon has them - all the latest titles - and B&N does not.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

CurtM wrote:

Some misunderstanding.  The iPad is much larger than the Nook.  That's the product I suggest comparing.

The Nook and the iPad are two completely different products. I certainly wouldn't want to try and hold the iPad for any length of time while reading in bed or other places where I couldn't lay it down.  

But each to his own, it works perfectly for me for reading books and I've yet to run across a book that I wanted that only Amazon had.

As far as your books, depending on the publisher, some have exclusive agreements with Amazon, which means they can't be sold elsewhere. But have you tried other places like Sony or Kobo, you can read books from those stores on the Nook.

Contributor
CurtM
0 Kudos

Karl264 wrote:

Since its just sitting on the shelf while you troll message boards feel free to send it to me.  I would like to have another one for my wife.

First 150 takes it!

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

CurtM wrote:

I read motorcycle and adventure books.  amazon has them - all the latest titles - and B&N does not.

A simple search of the word "adventure" in the ebook category brings back 16,098 matches

http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?store=EBOOK&WRD=adventure&box=adventure&...

A simple search of the word "motorcycle" in the ebook category brings back 79 matches

http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?store=EBOOK&WRD=motorcycle&box=motor&pos...

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Inspired Contributor
ivondale

I will say that this post made me do a check on my reading list.  I have a journal of the last 42 books I have read.  I checked every title at BN and Amazon.  I read almost exculsively fiction but from a variety of genres and release dates.  Of those 42, there were about 6 that were not available on BN or Amazon as ebooks. Only one was available for Kindle but not Nook. About 2/3 were  available (with wait list) on Overdrive through my library for free.

I haven't yet gotten my Nook - hoping for the holidays.  But this post did encourage me to do more research.  I am a big library reader, so seeing how many were available on the library list (even with a hold) made me more convinced that the Nook is the right choice for me.

Contributor
CurtM
0 Kudos

Friends, I started this post as an honest expression of concern and remorse about a product I found hyped by a B&N salesperson at my store in Pittsfield, Mass (not 3 miles from the very spot where Herman Melville composed Moby Dick, in fact).  My comments were sincere and honest.  The flames that have come in response to my concern say more about the respondents than about me.  I voiced an opinion, an honest aand sincere one at that, and got flames in response.  I did notice that one respondent also felt the reality didn't meet up with the claims.

My reading choices might be different from yours.  That, to the erudite respondent, should be enough information.  I am an avid reader, well-educated (MPA, 3.75 GPA, Ivy school) and bright (>140), but am more than a little ashamed to be hearing the arrogant responses I've found here.  Troll?  Because I'm not enamored with a product?  Huh?

I don't work for Apple.  I don't work for Amazon.  I have dedicated my life to non-profits that help people and help to better our society.  What the heck justifies the cowardly and inappropriate responses to my claims that: 1)I can't find 50 percent of the titles I want at B&N (and can find at the other place) and 2)that this reader is way behind devices like the iPad?  I wouldn't have known this latter fact had I not been forced to buy one of my titles from the other guy and read it on my tiny iTouch.  Even so, the technology on that little iTouch made (for me) for a more enjoyable reading experience.

I'm sorry that I didn't know the Nook was brought out a year ago.  The very first I saw it was 6 months ago when my local store set upp a kiosk for it.

All I said was to carefully compare electronic readers.  Sorry it his so many nerves.  The sort of uncivil responses I've seen are what I've come to expect from my brethren.  Shame on you!

Contributor
CurtM
0 Kudos

Trazy wrote:

AndyfromVA wrote:

It just goes to show, for every 100 people who enjoy eating cheddar cheese, there's one who prefers Velveeta (and I hate Velveeta).

Hah!  I too was thinking about the american cheese analogy!

Great.  We all hate Velveeta!  Now we're heading in the right direction.

Correspondent
token787
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Very sorry, these bloggers here on this board is very rude to you.  Some of them get off treating newbie's this way or others with different opinions. I have a thread in Customer Service in Fairlawn, OH and some took their negativity way beyond means.

I understand what u were saying in the post. I too, don't find BN have that many ebooks that I look for. I think BN is trying to get better in catching up with the ebooks.

I hope BN seriously start looking into stopping others from bashing in threads, either by deleting their post, locking them out for awhile or banning them for good, because this is no excuse.

I'm sorry some have treated u this way, but I can say from me is welcome to BN forum and Happy Reading!:smileywink:

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

CurtM wrote:

Friends, I started this post as an honest expression of concern and remorse about a product I found hyped by a B&N salesperson at my store..

Perspective.

Go to an apple forum and post how tremendously disappointed you were in your new iPhone.

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Contributor
CurtM
0 Kudos

But I don't own an iPhone, so I would be lying.  I do own a Nook and paid $259 for it.  I have a right to voice an opinion.

Contributor
CurtM
0 Kudos

token787 wrote:

Very sorry, these bloggers here on this board is very rude to you.  Some of them get off treating newbie's this way or others with different opinions. I have a thread in Customer Service in Fairlawn, OH and some took their negativity way beyond means.

I understand what u were saying in the post. I too, don't find BN have that many ebooks that I look for. I think BN is trying to get better in catching up with the ebooks.

I hope BN seriously start looking into stopping others from bashing in threads, either by deleting their post, locking them out for awhile or banning them for good, because this is no excuse.

I'm sorry some have treated u this way, but I can say from me is welcome to BN forum and Happy Reading!:smileywink:

Thank you for undersatnding, Token, and for being so gracious and civil.