Reply
New User
ms_xxc
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎05-23-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook is a tremendous disappointment

I agree on some titles not being found, but then I waited a few days/weeks and was able to find them. As for being a disappointment? Hardly! For being the avid reader I am, I absolutely ADORE my nook.

´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* -micaela :smileywink:
Contributor
Bellanoite
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎10-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook is a tremendous disappointment

Um ... there are many other places to look for books online if Barnes & Nobles doesn't have your book.

 

I love my Nook and althought I will get a NookColor ... I intend to keep my Nook for non color pdf file reading since it's got a longer battery life!

Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA
Posts: 474
Registered: ‎08-02-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook is a tremendous disappointment

Very sorry, these bloggers here on this board is very rude to you.

 

Most of the responses to to the "I'm so disappointed" post were folks saying how much they love their Nook.  That doesn't seem rude to me.

Correspondent
Trazy
Posts: 68
Registered: ‎10-18-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook is a tremendous disappointment

[ Edited ]

I sincerely apologize to all the American cheese product lovers on this board.

______________

"You can see a lot by just looking" - Yogi Berra
flyingtoastr
Posts: 2,929
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,855
Registered: ‎11-11-2009

Re: Nook is a tremendous disappointment

[ Edited ]

 


CurtM wrote:

 

My reading choices might be different from yours.  That, to the erudite respondent, should be enough information.  I am an avid reader, well-educated (MPA, 3.75 GPA, Ivy school) and bright (>140), but am more than a little ashamed to be hearing the arrogant responses I've found here.  Troll?  Because I'm not enamored with a product?  Huh?

 


This arrogant egocentrism is far more insulting than anything else posted in this thread.

 

Correspondent
lisat96
Posts: 194
Registered: ‎04-22-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook is a tremendous disappointment

@CurtM:

 

Have you tried going to the NOOKbook forum and posting your book requests in the "Can't Find Your NOOKbook" thread.  B&N has been suprisingly responsive at getting the books that I've requested as long as the publisher already has them available as an ebook--which appears to be true in your case--and provided Amazon doesn't have an exclusive deal to sell those ebooks.

Correspondent
Lugaid_Llyr
Posts: 115
Registered: ‎02-11-2010

Re: Nook is a tremendous disappointment

[ Edited ]

 

CurtM wrote:

I read motorcycle and adventure books.  amazon has them - all the latest titles - and B&N does not.

 

   AND

 

My reading choices might be different from yours.  That, to the erudite respondent, should be enough information.  I am an avid reader, well-educated (MPA, 3.75 GPA, Ivy school) and bright (>140), but am more than a little ashamed to be hearing the arrogant responses I've found here.  Troll?  Because I'm not enamored with a product?  Huh?

 


OMG!

Notify the international presses.

Somewhere a bridge is missing its troll.
What else can it be when he flouts his academic credentials at people, many of whom have comparable or superior qualifications OR disdainfully suggests an air of superiority by alluding to his supposed IQ (which incidentally, isn't that impressive).

Sorry your reading choices seem at odds with the intellectual high ground you are coveting.

 

As has been suggest to other trolls on these boards before you graced us with your presence,

Nice to meet you, have a good life and don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. - Herbert George Wells
Distinguished Correspondent
The_Most_Happy
Posts: 97
Registered: ‎10-28-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook is a tremendous disappointment


flyingtoastr wrote:

 


CurtM wrote:

 

My reading choices might be different from yours.  That, to the erudite respondent, should be enough information.  I am an avid reader, well-educated (MPA, 3.75 GPA, Ivy school) and bright (>140), but am more than a little ashamed to be hearing the arrogant responses I've found here.  Troll?  Because I'm not enamored with a product?  Huh?

 


This arrogant egocentrism is far more insulting than anything else posted in this thread.

 


LOL, how come?

 

I, for one, am neither insulted nor impressed a complete stranger feels the need to discuss his alleged academic achievements and IQ as a qualifier concerning what books s/he likes reading and which electronic devices s/he prefers.

 

 

Correspondent
token787
Posts: 139
Registered: ‎04-10-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook is a tremendous disappointment

[ Edited ]
 
Distinguished Correspondent
Globaltech
Posts: 634
Registered: ‎01-01-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook is a tremendous disappointment

Haven't read the OP, nor have I read the majority of posts.  I did read the last few however and I just want to add

 

"You are going to burn in hell." 

 

I'm not quite sure who I'm adressing that to.  If you take offense, then, yes, it was addressed to you. 

 

Other than that, it was post count +1.  Damn I wish I was sober enough to read all the posts and really get into this thread.

 

+++++++++++++++++++
¡sʞooq ɹǝʎ ,uıןɐǝʇs sɯnɹoɟ ǝɥʇ uı ǝɹɐ sǝʇɐɹıd ¡sǝou ɥo
Distinguished Correspondent
Globaltech
Posts: 634
Registered: ‎01-01-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook is a tremendous disappointment

 


Taxandria wrote:

 


Rutter9 wrote:

I'd hate to break it to you, but you can buy from more outlets then B&N. Heck you can even rent them from the library for free.

 

You obivously didn't ask anyone for any help, only registered to complain.

 

Normally I would like to think of avid readers as intelligent people, but I've been proved wrong.

 

 

This is a clear example of user error.


Is it REALLY necessary to insinuate that just because you don't agree with a person that they must be lacking in intelligence? And I don't see where you are the forum police to dictate that people who just register to complain should be subjected to your rudeness. If you don't like it, don't read it. Go read a book instead.

 


Forum Police here.  Summons served. 

 

+++++++++++++++++++
¡sʞooq ɹǝʎ ,uıןɐǝʇs sɯnɹoɟ ǝɥʇ uı ǝɹɐ sǝʇɐɹıd ¡sǝou ɥo
Frequent Contributor
ImpliedConsent
Posts: 33
Registered: ‎06-10-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook is a tremendous disappointment

 


CurtM wrote:

 

 

All I said was to carefully compare electronic readers.  Sorry it his so many nerves.  The sort of uncivil responses I've seen are what I've come to expect from my brethren.  Shame on you!

 

 


 

Wow, I'm fairly ashamed too.  Flaming for an honest response? Like it or not, the nook (e-ink or LCD color) is NOT the best reader out there; although I wouldn't trade my e-ink 3G nook for anything. I disagree that anything on an iTouch or iPad (as it relates to e-books) looks or responds better than the nook (I have them both...sorry, gadget junkie). I can spend 6hrs reading my nook without issue. I can barely stand 30min on the LCD of iTough or iPad.  I haven't reviewed nookColor yet, but it's an LCD screen without 3G. I will not be an early adopter of that technology. Hanvon just released color e-ink ... maybe it has potential.

 

I will agree with some posters - coming onto a nook fan site to explain your disappointment just begs for some to flame. That's pretty much a definition of troll; however, you came back to explain which negates the troll-effect.  Good luck with the iTouch thing.

Contributor
CurtM
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎11-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook is a tremendous disappointment

 


AndyfromVA wrote:

Very sorry, these bloggers here on this board is very rude to you.

 

Most of the responses to to the "I'm so disappointed" post were folks saying how much they love their Nook.  That doesn't seem rude to me.


I really think it's the impertinent remarks.  I aplogize for confusing impertinence with rudeness.  Seems a fine distinction to me, Andy.

 

Contributor
CurtM
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎11-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook is a tremendous disappointment

OK.  Tried again this morning.  A ttle I've been looking to buy is "Jupiter's Travels" by Ted Simon.  It is THE seminal book on traveling by motorcycle.  B&N still doesn't have it.  Is there a third party source from whom I can purchase it and read it on my Nook?  I'd be delighted to do so but I can find it anywhere other than at Amazon.

 

Glad everyone is having so much fun with this.  I've given the info, written specific issues.  Now all you folks who think I'm a troll and a jerk, please find me this one book for my Nook and I'll shut up.

 

Thank you,

Curt

Scribe
03FLHT2
Posts: 695
Registered: ‎02-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook is a tremendous disappointment

According to INKMESH ___  Next time you want to find a book use inkmest dot com

No its not any where else right now.  I would suggest that you go to the e-book forum and add it to the  list.  While posting it make sure to mention that its available for the Kindle on Amazon. They do respond rather quickly at times.  Seeing as its a smaller publisher try writing them and request it in epub edition and any other book they have on Amazon.  Its much easier for the smaller publisher now that B&N has PUBIT.  

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKbook-Discussion/Can-t-Find-Your-NOOKbook-Tell-Us-Here/m-p...

Frequent Contributor
luminessence
Posts: 89
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Nook is a tremendous disappointment

 


MWorrell wrote:

 

My dream device would have an e-ink screen and be able to load reader software from both Amazon and B&N. I hate being stuck with one vendor, and I feel it is a major concession as a consumer.


You're not stuck with one vendor with the Nook. In the past few months, I've bought ebooks from Barnes and Noble, Books on Board, Kobo, Fictionwise, Baen Webscriptions, and the Sony store, and read them all on my Nook.
Frequent Contributor
zippyap
Posts: 36
Registered: ‎01-23-2010

Re: Nook is a tremendous disappointment

Maybe the Nook is really for people more like me. Not so intelligent with not so high IQ. Only an MSc and NOT from an Ivy.  I do love to read though. I also own an Ipad. However, due to my perhaps easily distracted nature, I end up playing pinball after reading for a few minutes on the Ipad :smileyhappy: So, whenever I have time to read, I pick up my Nook (or my Kindle, but I prefer my Nook). For some reason too, I hate the weight of the Ipad for reading (apparently I don't even notice the weight when I play pinball LOL).

As for the availability of books. Well, that's why I have Nook and Kindle (the Ipad was not purchased primarily for reading). If it's not on one, then it could be found on the other. Plus I can borrow books for my Nook.

Wordsmith
Tim40744
Posts: 519
Registered: ‎07-07-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook is a tremendous disappointment

 


CurtM wrote:

OK.  Tried again this morning.  A ttle I've been looking to buy is "Jupiter's Travels" by Ted Simon.  It is THE seminal book on traveling by motorcycle.  B&N still doesn't have it.  Is there a third party source from whom I can purchase it and read it on my Nook?  I'd be delighted to do so but I can find it anywhere other than at Amazon.

 

Glad everyone is having so much fun with this.  I've given the info, written specific issues.  Now all you folks who think I'm a troll and a jerk, please find me this one book for my Nook and I'll shut up.

 

Thank you,

Curt


I found a thread from Mobilread from last year that alleges that Amazon digitized the book themselves (with the publishers permission). I think the reason that's a possibility is that the book is in the Topaz format which isn't convertible even if the DRM is removed. Contact  Jupitalia (the publisher) and ask.

 

New User
DeMyztikX
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎11-10-2010

Re: Nook is a tremendous disappointment

[ Edited ]

As an expert on trolling and having trolled many forums in my day I can say that this man is trolling and even did the classic "I'm not a troll, I'm just [insults users]" move.

 

Also, I googled the book name + epub and found it in epub format on the FIRST result. Also note that it's been in ePub format since 2007.

 

 

Prior to posting links please review our Book Club User Guidelines.

Thank You.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

 

 

Also, no one asked for academic credentuals nor do they care about your IQ if they understand what IQ means. If you understood IQ you would have posted the year and test taken to quantify your IQ because if you took the test 10 years ago it's no indication of your current IQ. Plus, no one asked for it.

Wordsmith
Tim40744
Posts: 519
Registered: ‎07-07-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook is a tremendous disappointment

[ Edited ]

 


DeMyztikX wrote:

As an expert on trolling and having trolled many forums in my day I can say that this man is trolling and even did the classic "I'm not a troll, I'm just [insults users]" move.

 

Also, I googled the book name + epub and found it in epub format on the FIRST result. Also note that it's been in ePub format since 2007.

 

 

Prior to posting links please review our Book Club User Guidelines.

Thank You.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

 

 

Also, no one asked for academic credentuals nor do they care about your IQ if they understand what IQ means. If you understood IQ you would have posted the year and test taken to quantify your IQ because if you took the test 10 years ago it's no indication of your current IQ. Plus, no one asked for it.


Your link indicates you have to be in the UK to buy it.