Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

Re: Nook: life expectancy 13 months?

gstone wrote:

What is the matter with you people? Are you that insecure about your own purchase that you feel a need to jump on anyone who voices their dissatisfaction with the product?

I think it is perfectly fine to come on here and look for advice and yes even vent a bit.  What got me was the part where he in turn, based on his one device and experience, has decided to 'warn' all of his friends and family not to expect more than a one year lease if you get a nook. 

if he wants to discuss his device and frustration then you are right, there is no rule that says this is  'only nook general only good stuff discussion board.  But if I want to counter reply that I do not believe his one experience means that every nook should only expect to last a year then I have that right to as well.  Also I can comment that, while yes frustrating, the reaction that B&N will not replace a nook beyond the warranty means 'I will never by a product from them again' is expecting more than he originally was promised

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone

RSC_Nook wrote:

gstone wrote:

What is the matter with you people? Are you that insecure about your own purchase that you feel a need to jump on anyone who voices their dissatisfaction with the product?

I think it is perfectly fine to come on here and look for advice and yes even vent a bit.  What got me was the part where he in turn, based on his one device and experience, has decided to 'warn' all of his friends and family not to expect more than a one year lease if you get a nook. 

if he wants to discuss his device and frustration then you are right, there is no rule that says this is  'only nook general only good stuff discussion board.  But if I want to counter reply that I do not believe his one experience means that every nook should only expect to last a year then I have that right to as well.  Also I can comment that, while yes frustrating, the reaction that B&N will not replace a nook beyond the warranty means 'I will never by a product from them again' is expecting more than he originally was promised

I addressed my post to 'The snarky comments'.

I guess this means you felt your posts were 'snarky'?:smileysurprised:

There was a mix of posts where people tried to relate their experience and expectations and a good number that were confrontational. I didn't check the authors of each post or grade them on their snarky-ness.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook

OK since the OP got a chance for a do over I am taking a mulligan as well.

I did not set out to attack the poster as much as argue the fact I do not believe one bad nook after a year means every nook goes bad after a year.  that was my overall point. 

I apologize if the comments went from arguing that to arguing with the OP. 

i wish I could help.  one thing I MIGHT suggest is IF you think it might be the battery Best Buy has REPLACEMENT ones on sale for $9.99 vs the normal $29.99.  $10 just to see if it would matter may not be a bad decision.  this sale may end today, not sure, so may want to jump on it.

that is my advice and help if you think it might be the battery

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb

I'm sorry the OP had a dead nook so soon.  I've had mine since late 2009 (bought it used for a decent price because I had Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket and I was impatient to get it) and I haven't had a single problem with it once the freezing issues were fixed.

I did take advantage of the $9.99 battery sale at Best Buy.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

gqb wrote:

I did take advantage of the $9.99 battery sale at Best Buy.

Same here -- I'm a belt-and-suspenders kind of guy sometimes.

It's sitting, unopened, right in my Nook Bag with my charger, my spare stylus and my New Trent power pack ... just in case. :smileywink:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

I really need to splurge on the New Trent power pack.  It would have come in handy for charging my cell phone and nook during a hospital stay.

New User
sweetpeaLS
0 Kudos

I got mine 6 weeks ago and it's messed up. Yes, I do have the warranty, but still digging up the receipt, driving 45 minutes to the store, hoping to not have a problem.....I should not have problems after 6 weeks with anything I purchase.

I called CS and couldn't hardly understand her because of her heavy accent. I had already done everything she suggested. She didn't seem to believe me when I told her I had removed the battery and it still said that it was starting up. In the end she offered to send me a refurbished one. I do not want a refurbished one when I just bought it.

I just hate the hassle......

New User
TDar
0 Kudos

I know it was a gift but if your employer purchased it with a credit card there is a good chance youmay already have an extended warranty.  It requires you to ask the person who gave it to you but might be worth a shot.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

sweetpeaLS wrote:

I got mine 6 weeks ago and it's messed up. Yes, I do have the warranty, but still digging up the receipt, driving 45 minutes to the store, hoping to not have a problem.....I should not have problems after 6 weeks with anything I purchase.

I called CS and couldn't hardly understand her because of her heavy accent. I had already done everything she suggested. She didn't seem to believe me when I told her I had removed the battery and it still said that it was starting up. In the end she offered to send me a refurbished one. I do not want a refurbished one when I just bought it.

I just hate the hassle......

this may not make you feel better but from numerous posts (I mean a LOT) I have heard the refurbs look JUST like the new ones, can't even tell next to each other

Contributor
GloriaCT
0 Kudos

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

If my Nook quit working at 13 months I would not buy another,  I do expect to get a longer lifespan out of an ereader.    Although B&N is not obligated to replace your Nook or go above and beyond when it comes to customer service,  I can understand your frustration and disappointment.  Having his happen doesn't exactly instill enough faith in a product or the company behind it to shell out $$ for another.   Completely understandable. I'm sorry it happened.  :smileysad:

Linda

Distinguished Scribe
HungerGamesPerson
0 Kudos

Thats too bad but I think yours is a rare case.

If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
Mother Teresa
For it is in giving that we receive.
Francis of Assisi

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

whiteginger wrote:

. . . My local B&N has been wonderful anytime I've had a problem.

. . . Explain your situation face-to-face.  Your warranty is expired, so you may not get a refurbished NOOK; but I think you will have the satisfaction of a sympathetic B&N real, live human being response.  

Who knows?  You might come home with the promise of a refurb or maybe you'll opt for a new NOOKcolor!   

. . . So I took your advice and went to the local B&N store.  Unfortunately the guy there was every bit as helpful as B&N CS was on the phone last night, which is to say not at all.  He took one look at my Nook and, "yep, the screen went bad."  He checked my info and said, "sorry, you're out of warranty," and that was that.

So I guess that's the way it goes.

I'm sorry that your face-to-face experience was no better than your phone experience. 

I love my NOOK (3G and Wifi), and although I, too, would be disappointed if it died at 13 months--I want it to last forever!  I've named it, for Pete's sake!--I would replace it immediately with something NOOK.  (I, first, of course, would try CS just as you have done.  Heck, there is no harm in trying!)

Since this situation seems to have you "struggling" with a decision to replace your NOOK--there would be no struggle for me--I hope you will be happy with whatever decision you eventually make.

Wordsmith
KingAl

mykoffee wrote:

If my Nook quit working at 13 months I would not buy another,  I do expect to get a longer lifespan out of an ereader.    Although B&N is not obligated to replace your Nook or go above and beyond when it comes to customer service,  I can understand your frustration and disappointment.  Having his happen doesn't exactly instill enough faith in a product or the company behind it to shell out $$ for another.   Completely understandable. I'm sorry it happened.  :smileysad:

Linda

They do have a longer lifespan. This was just bad luck.  Try to find a single electronic product that has NEVER failed within 13 months.

Distinguished Scribe
HungerGamesPerson
0 Kudos

KingAl wrote:

mykoffee wrote:

Linda

They do have a longer lifespan. This was just bad luck.  Try to find a single electronic product that has NEVER failed within 13 months.

You have a point kingal

If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
Mother Teresa
For it is in giving that we receive.
Francis of Assisi

Inspired Correspondent
NikiGunn
0 Kudos

xjcsa wrote:

Apple replaced my iPod six months out of warranty.  They had no obligation to do so, but there was a known manufacturing "issue" that had caused the problem.  They replaced it, no hassles, with an identical refurbed iPod.

It was customer service above and beyond what was required, and it won some serious loyalty from me.

I didn't get that kind of treatment from Apple. I sent my iPod Classic to them three times under warranty and they never fixed it, or even properly addressed the problem. Because of this, I have a very expensive machine for playing Solitaire and Vortex.

Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

xjcsa wrote:

Two weeks ago, on vacation in the Caribbean, my Nook quit working.  I had been reading a book, but had left the Nook on my dresser.  When I went back to my room to grab it, it was frozen.

Perhaps the cleaning staff at the hotel dropped the Nook.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
0 Kudos

tmr4 wrote:

xjcsa wrote:

Two weeks ago, on vacation in the Caribbean, my Nook quit working.  I had been reading a book, but had left the Nook on my dresser.  When I went back to my room to grab it, it was frozen.

Perhaps the cleaning staff at the hotel dropped the Nook.

That actually sounds like a reasonable thought.  Of course there's no way to prove it.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
bewhoyouareandbethatwell
0 Kudos

I'm surprised at how hostile the responses to this poster are.  I don't think it's a lot to ask that the Nook last over 13 months.

How old are the nooks out there?  Who has the oldest one still functioning?  Obviously they are relatively new devices, but does anyone have one of the first ones that is still working?

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook

bewhoyouareandbethatwell wrote:

I'm surprised at how hostile the responses to this poster are. 

I'm not.  If he would of come on, said he had an issue with his, was frustrated, that is one thing.  When he began then saying he will be telling everyone how crappy Nooks are, how it is a 1 year lease, how that means they must ALL break immediately after the warranty, that is what I was arguing against.

What do you expect?  he comes to a board full of folks that LOVE their device and trashes it over (and over and over).  Go to a board for Pug dog lovers and tell them you think pugs look ugly.  Go to a board for jazz music and post something that you think jazz sounds stupid, and see if you get different reactions.  Go to an Auburn footrball board and post you think they bought their way to a championship. I bet the responses will make this board look tame.

Also, he then is not getting  a replacement despite full knowledge of the warranty, so he is now never ever buy a thing for b&n even though they are just doing exactly what they said they would do.  I am glad they don't go around replacing every 13-15 month old device with a new one, if they did I would of had to pay $189 or something for my nook.  sorry, that is how it is.