Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
Po1gara
0 Kudos

Re: Nook: life expectancy 13 months?

FWIW...my nook is proof of the inaccuracy of this thread's title. My nook has been performing wonderfully for me for 14 months and 6 days now. I did take advantage of the nook battery sale that Best Buy was running and am very happy to report that the battery charge now lasts substantially longer than the original battery ever did. As far as I'm concerned, it just gets better and better. :smileyvery-happy:

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Apple is also charging alot more for their products and can easily afford to do this on occasion.

Bellesteacher wrote:

It is true about the customer service thing. Apple's is so much better in or out of warranty. They fixed my computer and had it returned in 2 days at the cost of buying the warranty. B&N are difficult to get through to anyone and then the customer is left on hold for hours. That is for a book problem. I can't imagine what it would be like for a Nook issue. I do believe BN needs to fix their CS issues.

Correspondent
sharno22
0 Kudos

I would try a new battery before doing anything else. I'm sorry to hear you're having problems. I would be complaining also if mine broke. Especially since we paid $249 when these came out.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

sharno22 wrote:

I would try a new battery before doing anything else. I'm sorry to hear you're having problems. I would be complaining also if mine broke. Especially since we paid $249 when these came out.

The Nook Color is a sealed unit like an iPod. The battery is not user-replacable. Only the e-ink models have batteries that can be replaced by the user.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Correspondent
sharno22
0 Kudos

Desert Brat-- The OP states he received his Nook on 01/08/10 which means he has a Nook classic with eink screen.  Nook color didn't come out until later in 2010.

Frequent Contributor
Urban_Casey
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

xjcsa wrote: 

I received a Nook as a gift from my employer on January 8, 2010 - just over a year ago.

Two weeks ago, on vacation in the Caribbean, my Nook quit working.  I had been reading a book, but had left the Nook on my dresser.  When I went back to my room to grab it, it was frozen.

-------------

Okay, your Nook died after 13 months of use. This does not mean that ALL Nooks die as soon as the warranty expires. I call that classic "faulty reasoning." You received your Nook as a gift,  so you are not really out-of-pocket for any costs (other than the eBooks you purchased).  Btw - Humidity in the islands is extraordinarily high year round.  No matter how well an electronic device is constructed, prolonged exposure to humidity can permanently damage it. 

When you change your focus, you will change your results.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518

Urban_Casey wrote:

Btw - Humidity in the islands is extraordinarily high year round.  No matter how well an electronic device is constructed, prolonged exposure to humidity can permanently damage it. 

I've had my Nook on a week-long vacation in Mexico as well as on a 10-day cruise in the Bahamas.  Humidity to my knowledge has had NO effect on it.  Being in island humidity for 2 weeks would not cause a problem.  Part of the joy of owning a Nook is to take it on vacations.  I would hate to think I could only go to vacations that allowed me to read my Nook in air conditioning.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
Urban_Casey
0 Kudos

I've had my Nook on a week-long vacation in Mexico as well as on a 10-day cruise in the Bahamas.  Humidity to my knowledge has had NO effect on it. 

------

I lived in Mexico for a year.  The hummidty there does not even come close to what I experienced in the Carribean. 

When you change your focus, you will change your results.

AlanNJ

[ Edited ]

Urban_Casey wrote:

I've had my Nook on a week-long vacation in Mexico as well as on a 10-day cruise in the Bahamas.  Humidity to my knowledge has had NO effect on it. 

------

I lived in Mexico for a year.  The hummidty there does not even come close to what I experienced in the Carribean. 

Ok.  You're right.  I'm wrong.  Humidity will destroy a Nook.  If you take your Nook on a vacation it's a huge risk.  Are you happy now?  :smileyindifferent:

Wordsmith
Tweedledee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@AlanNJ

Oh my it's....tada...Colander Time  :smileyhappy:

Edit:  Lest you think the colander is required for your post - it is required for the post that you are responding to :smileyhappy:  - protection is a small price to pay.

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
Bertrand Russell
AlanNJ
0 Kudos

WooHoo!  :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy:

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

Tweedledee wrote:

@AlanNJ

Oh my it's....tada...Colander Time  :smileyhappy:

Edit:  Lest you think the colander is required for your post - it is required for the post that you are responding to :smileyhappy:  - protection is a small price to pay.

Wait...do they make collanders that protect against the humidity? :smileywink:

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself. I blame it on spending every minute of my life, waking and sleeping, with a 3 year old!

Fran

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

frantastk wrote:Wait...do they make collanders that protect against the humidity? :smileywink:

The plastic ones work well.  The metal ones rust.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

It makes me literally LOL every time I see a colander reference.  :smileytongue:

Wordsmith
Tweedledee

[ Edited ]

Seriously - if you were taking your nook into a sauna - the throw water on rocks ilk, then I could see the high probability (like for sure) of humidity and heat damaging the device.  However, St Thomas, St Croix, San Juan (even old San Juan), Virgin Gorda, Martinique, etc....are most likely not going to cause permanent damage to the nook.

Most likely could enrich your nook experience if you were on Bimini and reading Hemingway  :smileyhappy:  (I can only wish at this time of year). 

Additionally the OP stated that it was charging in his room when it went tilt, generally those rooms, at least from my experience are equipped with A/C, which generally defeats and reduces the humidity issues.

I suspect as do others that the battery went - tilt, and that a replacement battery would more than likely solve the problem, IMHO.

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
Bertrand Russell
Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

this guy has long ago left, despite all of us trying to help him.

maybe it is time for all of us to stop responding to this thread so it can just go away  (and I know this response I just made just bumps it anyway, but i mean after my post - ha ha)

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

sharno22 wrote:

Desert Brat-- The OP states he received his Nook on 01/08/10 which means he has a Nook classic with eink screen.  Nook color didn't come out until later in 2010.

Ah, I see. I was looking at the $249 and thinking Nook Color. Thanks for the correction.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
New User
Plumeria12
0 Kudos

Hi, the glow light on my Nook e-reader just malfunctioned at 14 months. It has a streak/trail of permanent light that blocks a significant number of words and places a glare on the whole page. I took it in to B&N who said they had seen others like that, that same day. Warranty expired at 12 months. I have utilized the device almost daily, but still very disappointing. The manager checked the serial number for the warranty expiration date, but made a point to avoid talking to me. A helpful salesperson stated the glowlight was manufactured under a very tight timeline & that although they should last longer, there is no average lifespan established yet. Plumeria12

New User
teacupteapot1967
0 Kudos

Mine lasted 2 1/2 years and I read ALOT!

Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

This is the N1E edition forum.  Not many people come here.  There are forums dedicated exclusively to talk about problems with the NST(G). 

Lector GS