Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe

Re: Nook: life expectancy 13 months?

[ Edited ]

gnkc wrote:

xjcsa wrote:

You know what, let me put this a bit differently.  I was pretty annoyed when I wrote my initial post, and it's more of a rant than anything else.

So here's my revision:

My Nook is 13 months old.  The display screen quit working, although it flashes all black/white when I turn the Nook on and at some other times.  The touch screen works just fine, and the OS seems unaware that anything is wrong.

Any suggestions, or am I just screwed?

xjcsa - you've by now seen that you'll get no sympathy from the people on this board. The vast majority will do nothing but defend BN. BN can do no wrong, but hey, that's to be expected on a forum hosted by BN.

You are correct when you say thet the Nook is a great idea implemented poorly.

xjcsa gets plenty of sympathy from the people on this board.  Would it be nice if B&N CS went above and beyond and replaced the nook, sure; are they obligated to, no.  xjcsa is then free to deal with it however he/she sees fit.  If that means never buying from B&N and telling anyone he/she knows about his/her experience, so be it.

There are no B&N puppets on this board blindly proclaiming that "B&N can do no wrong," there are just a bunch of people who realize that sometimes SH*T happens and electronics break.

I don't know if xjcsa went to the store where the nook was purchased and requested to speak with a manager.  If not, I would suggest it.  Couldn't hurt.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree

@xjcsa

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

I'm sorry for your problem.  If it happened to me, I'd be frustrated, too.  I'd chalk it up to my bad luck, not to any fault on B&N's part (sophisticated electronic devices do break down), but I know that the frustration would be real.

Whatever you buy next, be sure to go for the extended warranty -- because as you've just learned, devices DO break down.  I got mine from SquareTrade, and I know that the frustration if it breaks down after three years will be less than if it broke down after one with no replacement.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

Yes.  All Nooks die immediately after the warranty expires.  They're designed that way by big evil B&N.

OH, so THAT'S why!   :smileyvery-happy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Wordsmith
shilohMD

ABthree wrote:

@xjcsa

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

I'm sorry for your problem.  If it happened to me, I'd be frustrated, too.  I'd chalk it up to my bad luck, not to any fault on B&N's part (sophisticated electronic devices do break down), but I know that the frustration would be real.

Whatever you buy next, be sure to go for the extended warranty -- because as you've just learned, devices DO break down.  I got mine from SquareTrade, and I know that the frustration if it breaks down after three years will be less than if it broke down after one with no replacement.

Extended warranty is apparently a good idea for electronic devices.

Also, remember, if you buy something with an AMEX card, you get an automartic doubling of manufacturers warranty (up to a year)...

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

shilohMD wrote:

Extended warranty is apparently a good idea for electronic devices.

Also, remember, if you buy something with an AMEX card, you get an automartic doubling of manufacturers warranty (up to a year)...

I have to disagree.  For VERY expensive electronic devices where proportionately the cost is relatively minor then I consider purchasing the warranty (and even then I think about it).

But for a device that I can purchase a replacement for less than $100 or so then I can't see spending the money.  I'll just buy a new device. 

I paid $259 for my Nook but now that they've apparently stopped making the 3G I'd probably have to replace with a wi-fi only and I can buy a refurb for $99 if I recall correctly. 

I'll take my chances.

►Without order there is chaos◄
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

gnkc wrote:

xjcsa - you've by now seen that you'll get no sympathy from the people on this board. The vast majority will do nothing but defend BN. BN can do no wrong, but hey, that's to be expected on a forum hosted by BN.

You are correct when you say thet the Nook is a great idea implemented poorly.

Give me a freakin' break!  It's a contracted warranty.  You deal with what you've got.  You decide when you buy a product whether or not to buy the extended warranty.  You make your decision and you live with it.

That's called TAKING RESPONSIBILITY.  That is not being B&N fanboys or fangirls.

Grow up.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Wordsmith
MWorrell
0 Kudos

I buy a lot of electronic devices, computers and peripherals, etc. Maybe I've been lucky, but I've never purchased a product that has performed as poorly as my Nook. I'm on my 4th unit, and my warranty period is over in March, so I'm already thinking about my next eReader purchase when this one kicks the bucket. It would be really cool if I finally got a solid unit and it lasts awhile, but I'm not holding my breath.

I love my Nook, and I own one instead of a Kindle (or whatever else) very deliberately. But it is a sucky piece of hardware.

I hope they intend to improve the reliability, because I like the features. Also, with Borders on their deathbed and about to vanish, I value B&N and want them to succeed.

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger

[ Edited ]

AndyfromVA wrote:

gnkc wrote:

You are correct when you say the the Nook is a great idea implemented poorly.

That's YOUR opinion.  I don't share it.

Like Andyfrom VA, I don't share xjcsa's opinion about posters on this forum. 

I read your first post as a frustrated rant, but the perceived tone in your replies has convinced me that you are a good guy. And if you are a good guy, as level-headed as you seem to be in some of your replies, I would suggest that you take your NOOK into your nearest B&N.  

Your timing with CS on this issue sucks--pardon my French.  The holiday rush, the recent Groupon SNAFU--and you called CS?  

My local B&N has been wonderful anytime I've had a problem.  They don't always have the correct answer or the answer I want to hear, but they work with me to find a satisfactory answer.  

Explain your situation face-to-face.  Your warranty is expired, so you may not get a refurbished NOOK; but I think you will have the satisfaction of a sympathetic B&N real, live human being response.  

Who knows?  You might come home with the promise of a refurb or maybe you'll opt for a new NOOKcolor!   

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

xjcsa wrote:

I had something similar happen with an iPod a couple of years ago.  The difference in customer service between Apple and B&N has been just night and day.

I think you just had bad luck here (though Apple's CS is generally better than B&N.)  I've read reports of Apple doing the same thing to people with iPods that broke right after the warranty expired.
You might try calling and speaking to a different CS rep.

Frequent Contributor
Hmr28

Do try a new battery at your nearest BN. Just ask at the nook counter if they would test it with one of the ones in the store that the staff uses to show people. Mine died with a similar problem (line etc) and it ended up being the battery. The battery in a nook apparently lasts about a year with heavy use.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

The OP needs to realize there are NO MOVING PARTS on a Nook.  So exactly what design did B&N mess up that causes this to crap out after one year?

If there is a design flaw in the manufactoring of the electronics it will surface within the first 30 days or so of the product.  It does not lay dormant for 390 + days then occur.  If there is something wrong with the manufactoring of the device (electronic wise) it doesn't take over a year to kick in.

plus, the REAL issue I have with the poster is his sense of entitlement.  he purchases a device knowing full well there was only a one year warranty.  it broke after that.  so now he is mad and says "I'm not sure whether I'll go back to buying paper books (albeit not from the local BN store or BN.com)"

Explain in detail how you KNOW it is B&N's fault for the device breaking.  exactly how are you so certain of that?  and now you did not get your way after knowing full well you had a 1 year warranty and did not by the extended warranty so you will proclaim from the hills the nook is a 1 year lease product, even though you may be the very small % that this is the case and without knowing if it was B&N's fault or perhaps something you did?

just because you have ONE device go bad after 390 + days does not mean every single nook out there is the same.  it just doesn't.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone

[ Edited ]

@The snarky comments
What is the matter with you people? Are you that insecure about your own purchase that you feel a need to jump on anyone who voices their dissatisfaction with the product?

If I bought any device that lasted only to the end of the written warranty period I would be leery of purchasing from that company again myself. These snarky comments only reinforce any ill will between a consumer and the company.

@xjcsa
I have had nothing but good experiences with B&N customer support. This is a new market for B&N and they are desperately trying to play catch up. They are bound to hit a lot of foul balls this early.

If you want to get a different brand eReader do not limit yourself to the Kindle. Amazon has released a new Kindle model each year. Havalon is trying to get an eReader with color e-Ink out by March of this year. Sony released some new models that use epub format and look interesting.

Given the pace of technological evolution in the eReader market, the useful life expectancy of any eReader is probably no more than 2 years.

New User
xjcsa
0 Kudos

whiteginger wrote:

AndyfromVA wrote:

gnkc wrote:

You are correct when you say the the Nook is a great idea implemented poorly.

That's YOUR opinion.  I don't share it.

Like Andyfrom VA, I don't share xjcsa's opinion about posters on this forum. 

I read your first post as a frustrated rant, but the perceived tone in your replies has convinced me that you are a good guy. And if you are a good guy, as level-headed as you seem to be in some of your replies, I would suggest that you take your NOOK into your nearest B&N.  

Your timing with CS on this issue sucks--pardon my French.  The holiday rush, the recent Groupon SNAFU--and you called CS?  

My local B&N has been wonderful anytime I've had a problem.  They don't always have the correct answer or the answer I want to hear, but they work with me to find a satisfactory answer.  

Explain your situation face-to-face.  Your warranty is expired, so you may not get a refurbished NOOK; but I think you will have the satisfaction of a sympathetic B&N real, live human being response.  

Who knows?  You might come home with the promise of a refurb or maybe you'll opt for a new NOOKcolor!   

Actually gnkc was the one who discussed the posters on the forum; I haven't expressed an opinion in that regard.

Anyway yeah, my first post was a frustrated rant.  And yes, I called CS - I knew nothing about the Groupon thing.

So I took your advice and went to the local B&N store.  Unfortunately the guy there was every bit as helpful as B&N CS was on the phone last night, which is to say not at all.  He took one look at my Nook and, "yep, the screen went bad."  He checked my info and said, "sorry, you're out of warranty," and that was that.

So I guess that's the way it goes.

Wordsmith
wordsandmelodies
0 Kudos

Sorry!  I do wish you the best of luck on your next ereader purchase, whatever it may be.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

xjcsa wrote:

Sure, I'll clarify.  Apple replaced my iPod six months out of warranty.  They had no obligation to do so, but there was a known manufacturing "issue" that had caused the problem.  They replaced it, no hassles, with an identical refurbed iPod.

It was customer service above and beyond what was required, and it won some serious loyalty from me.

And you know what, and the rest of us probably paid more for our iPods/touches whatever, to cover the cost of Apple going a head and replacing out of warranty items.  They will factor in a estimated number of warranty replacements into the cost, I'm guessing since they replaced it out of warranty, they factor in a cost to cover those replacements also.  They're covering that cost somewhere, you can bet that.  And you said it was a known manufacturing issue, your problem doesn't seem to be widespread or any type of "known" issue. 

And for the record, my Nook is 13 months old and it is still working without any problems and so is a friend of mine's Nook who got his for Christmas last year also.  So 2 good, 1 not.

New User
xjcsa

RSC_Nook wrote:

The OP needs to realize there are NO MOVING PARTS on a Nook.  So exactly what design did B&N mess up that causes this to crap out after one year?

If there is a design flaw in the manufactoring of the electronics it will surface within the first 30 days or so of the product.  It does not lay dormant for 390 + days then occur.  If there is something wrong with the manufactoring of the device (electronic wise) it doesn't take over a year to kick in.

Well, then obviously my Nook isn't really broken and I'm just imagining things.  Thanks for clearing that up.

Distinguished Correspondent
mpebbs
0 Kudos

My nook and my husbands nook were both preordered when they were first announced, and I preordered a nookcolor when it was released also. The only problems I have had were button cracks. I am sorry for anyone who has something break right out of warrenty but it happens to almost everyone at some point. I do know that if my nook broke I would be at B&N getting a replacement.

New User
xjcsa
0 Kudos

mpebbs wrote:

I do know that if my nook broke I would be at B&N getting a replacement.

If it had lasted 2 or 3 years, so would I.  13 months?  Not a chance.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

xjcsa wrote:

RSC_Nook wrote:

Well, then obviously my Nook isn't really broken and I'm just imagining things.  Thanks for clearing that up.

I never said that.  I said that I do not think it was a manufactoring issue that caused it to 'only' last over a year.  I believe you that it went bad.  I do not believe that it means in turn every single nook should expect to last just about a year. 

Correspondent
Anthony1970

xjcsa: Sorry about the busted NOOK  that sucks. Unfortuantely many smaller tech products do not last more than a few years especially if used often.(cell phones are the worst) Thats why there is only a one year warranty on most of them. As someone above mentioned, people have no problem replacing $1000 computers after 3-5 years, $25,000 cars, etc, etc. So I guess you can take comfort in that. :smileyhappy: An ereader is cheap in comparision.

I would expect at least two years worth of service out of one though. Something must have happened to yours that you were unaware of.  Someone else suggested take it to a tech or maybe have someone you know who likes taking things apart to do just that. Who knows maybe something will jog it back on.

For the record i would be a little peeved as well.LOL