Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Re: Nook: life expectancy 13 months?

RSC_Nook wrote:

bewhoyouareandbethatwell wrote:

I'm surprised at how hostile the responses to this poster are. 

I'm not.  If he would of come on, said he had an issue with his, was frustrated, that is one thing.  When he began then saying he will be telling everyone how crappy Nooks are, how it is a 1 year lease, how that means they must ALL break immediately after the warranty, that is what I was arguing against.

What do you expect?  he comes to a board full of folks that LOVE their device and trashes it over (and over and over).  Go to a board for Pug dog lovers and tell them you think pugs look ugly.  Go to a board for jazz music and post something that you think jazz sounds stupid, and see if you get different reactions.  Go to an Auburn footrball board and post you think they bought their way to a championship. I bet the responses will make this board look tame.

You forgot the obvious - go to a Kindle board and trash that over and over.

Frequent Contributor
bewhoyouareandbethatwell
0 Kudos

We all evaluate products by our experiences and so far, his hasn't been good.  Again, I don't see anyhting unreasonable.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

We all evaluate products by our experiences and so far, his hasn't been good.  Again, I don't see anyhting unreasonable.

You and RSC_Nook may be referring to different posts. There was the initial poster and one response who said he was going to make it his mission in life to make sure no one ever bought a nook.

I think maybe the lines became blurred between the two posts and who was saying what and who was responding to whom.

Distinguished Correspondent
yoshipumkin
0 Kudos

EscapistFL wrote:

blah blah blah blah

I've been coming to these forums since I bought my Nook Color in November and I've seen some pretty outrageous and intolerant responses.  But this one takes the cake.  It is the epitome of immaturity.  I hope you really are 12, because that's the age that this response conveys.  I feel shame and embarassment for you, since you apparently can't feel any yourself.  
Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I am replying to the very initial post - again where he stated he will make sure he tells everyone that you should not expect more from Nook than a year lease.  And the initial one where because his broke after the one year is up, and the CS will not give him a new one, he will now no longer buy anything from B&N.

The B&N warranty says one year.  it is older than one year.  You can be frustrated your device broke, but then to say you are frustrated that B&N will not do anything even though it is way past one year so youwill trash the product and boycott B&N now.  I am sorry, not sure that is reasonable.  it is his right, but it is more the fact he has almost this expectation he would get something and didn't so now he decides that means ALL Nooks last one one year.

and later I said I was never arguing against him, but against his message.  as a person he might be great.  as far as his opinion on the nook I think it is flawed and his decision to boycott B&N because he did not get his way despite the specific warranty is telling.  that is all.

I also offered up some advice oin the battery which he didn't even seem to have a need to come back and reply to (unless I missed it)

Contributor
ClambRun
0 Kudos

Also, remember, if you buy something with an AMEX card, you get an automartic doubling of manufacturers warranty (up to a year)...

@shilohMD

Is that true?  That is a fantastic benefit.  I've been purchasing products with my AmEx for years and never knew that.  I'm always learning new useful information from this board.  Thank you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MWorrell
0 Kudos

There are lots of ways that products improve, but one of them is the reality that disgruntled customers usually have big mouths. This compels companies to provide decent products and service.

Hop over to Amazon.com and check out the feedback for Pandigital eReaders (which I was taking a second look at because they can use B&N eBooks, and because my Nook spontaneously broke three times in the past year). I wouldn't touch one of those units with a ten foot pole based on that feedback.

The market needs people like  xjcsa to make up for all of those who shrug and take their lumps when a product doesn't live up to expectations (and, to top it off, take the blame because they didn't pay extra for added protection), or who fall all over themselves explaining why we should never complain about ebook prices.

Go,  xjcsa, go!

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI

I think this thread and the OP highlight another problem that is not being addressed.

There is no way for the consumer to have their out-of-warranty NOOK repaired.

What B&N does with NOOKs that break while covered by warranty is return them to the factory for repair/refurbishment. THey are then used as warranty replacements, or sold as refurbished (and we have seen how strong the market is for refurbished NOOKs).

In my opinion B&N should do what a lot of other manufacturers do, accept a broken/defective out of warranty NOOK as a trade in on a refurbished NOOK.

Naturally B&N should not be doing this out of the goodness of their heart *(although it is good customer relations), but should set the trade in value of the defective NOOK so that they break even (or make a small profit) on the cost of refurbishment.

The same value could then be used for those desiring to trade in a NOOK classic for a Color NOOK (something I have no interest in doing).

Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

ClambRun wrote:

Also, remember, if you buy something with an AMEX card, you get an automartic doubling of manufacturers warranty (up to a year)...

@shilohMD

Is that true?  That is a fantastic benefit.  I've been purchasing products with my AmEx for years and never knew that.  I'm always learning new useful information from this board.  Thank you.

Just copied this from the AMEX website:
"When you charge the entire cost of a covered product with your American Express® Card, the Extended Warranty will extend the terms of the original manufacturer's warranty for a period of time equal to the duration of the original manufacturer's warranty, up to one additional year on warranties of five years or less that are eligible in the U.S."

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

Agreed.

Linda

Reader 4
pathouser
0 Kudos

I don't know if this will work w/your situation, but have you tried replacing your current battery with a totally new battery?  My sister's Nook konked out after only about 6 months -- it seemed to be acting the way yours is acting now.  She took the Nook back to the BN physical store and they replaced the battery with a brand new battery and the Nook was up and running from then on.  Just a suggestion. 

Frequent Contributor
svsu
0 Kudos

Sounds like you need a new battery.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

@pathouser and susv

As much as I kind of ribbed the OP, I also tried to help and noted to him Sat if he wanted to try a new battery best buy had them on sale for $10.00.  Would of been worth $10 to me to see if it at least works.  I have no idea if he took the advice.  Despite me ribbing him, I do hope he gets the product fixed, and if a $10 battery does it then that would of been great.

we will just have to see if he ever comes back and replies to all the help he got to say if it worked or not. 

Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing

I'm surprised at how hostile the responses to this poster are.  I don't think it's a lot to ask that the Nook last over 13 months.

How old are the nooks out there?  Who has the oldest one still functioning?  Obviously they are relatively new devices, but does anyone have one of the first ones that is still working?

Electronic products tend to break on a bell curve.  Most are good for several years, but some will break right after buying and some can live 10 years.

ALL companies experience this with any product. 

Some people, by statistical law, will get 3 bum units, and yes, it sucks.  It doesn't mean the nook is a bad product and by most accounts, has performed exceedingly high in the quality department with the possible exception being the charger cord itself.

Others, like myself and many others bought when first able and are still enjoying our very first nookcolor.  Many, like myself and others, also bought an extended warranty through squaretrade, so we simply don't worry about dropping it or something going wrong internally.  $32 for 3 years (including accidental damage) was well worth that peace of mind for me.

In fact, I rather do expect it to break during that timeframe.  Either something will just go wrong or I'll drop it.  Best thing about squaretrade is that you get (in most cases) cashback and NOT a refurb. 

I had an original nook that went wonky with horizontal and vertical lines, but I had a squaretrade warranty for it.  I took that $259 ($279?  can't remember) and bought my nookcolor (and then went on to buy a refurb original seperately).

Many people replace their phones every two years.  Many keep then for 6+ years and many replace them multiple times per year.  My original nook broke within the 1 year mfg warranty and I still used my squaretrade to fix it, simply because I prefered the cashback.

As for squaretrade, I rather think of it less as a warranty plan, but rather an automatic upgrade to the next newest version plan :smileyhappy:

If it doesn't break, I've only spent $32 for that added security... well worth it.

If it does break, I get to buy a brand new unit (or if I so choose, a pandigital or kindle or a happy ending massage :smileytongue:)

I'm sorry that it broke shortly after warranty, but the company owes the op nothing.  They did exactly what they said they'd do and making exceptions, well, that kinda would irk the people who did bother to pay for a warranty.  Why should they get something free that we paid for. 

I'll bet there is some unfortunate soul out there who has already gone through 12 or more nooks.  Law of statistics and all, but no matter how bad an individual experience is, it is simply not applicable to the majority who are happily enjoying their nooks with no issues.

As an internet forum, especially a help centered forum, we tend to see the people with problems.  The ones who are often happy, well, they aren't posting... they are reading.

And on that note, I'll think I'll do exactly that... go read. 

Have a nice night.

(this all wasn't aimed at the quoted poster.. it's just what prompted my response).

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!
Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee

KingAl wrote:

They do have a longer lifespan. This was just bad luck.  Try to find a single electronic product that has NEVER failed within 13 months.

Well we don't really know a lot about the Nook's lifespan because many are just hitting the one year mark and many have had multiple replacements.  But I certainly hope so, my expectancy is that mine will last at least a couple years.  I have one original that hasn't made it that long and one replacement so I guess the year starts over.

However my points was,  if I personally had a device that failed a month out of warranty I wouldn't go out and buy another and I wouldn't be singing the company or product's praises.   When it comes down to it,  It doesn't matter if someone else's device has lasted 2 months or 10 years,  we form our own opinions based on our own experience.

Linda

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

mykoffee wrote:

Well we don't really know a lot about the Nook's lifespan because many are just hitting the one year mark and many have had multiple replacements.  But I certainly hope so, my expectancy is that mine will last at least a couple years.  I have one original that hasn't made it that long and one replacement so I guess the year starts over.

However my points was,  if I personally had a device that failed a month out of warranty I wouldn't go out and buy another and I wouldn't be singing the company or product's praises.   When it comes down to it,  It doesn't matter if someone else's device has lasted 2 months or 10 years,  we form our own opinions based on our own experience.

Linda

BUT we don't even know if this guys Nook went bad - there are at least 3 (and maybe more? I lost count) posts above where folks said it sounded like the battery, including 2 folks that replaced theirs and it fixed like issues.  If he would of let us help him, multiple people recommended trying a new battery, including myself who pointed out he could get one from Best Buy for $10. 

I am not buying the device did go bad vs the battery finally going out (which batteries do...).  Until I hear back that he went and tried a new battery (which I doubt we ever will) then I am not buying his device had a manufactoring defect that caused it to go bad.

B&N Bookseller
MollyO
0 Kudos

NOOKcolor was first released in October of 2010. NOOKclassic has been available since October 2009. In my experience, I have seen both devices fully functional since their release. I have an aunt who received her NOOKclassic in the first shippment and I purchased a NOOKcolor upon their release. Just as with any product utilizing a lithium ion battery, lifetime will depend heavily upon charging/discharging habits, AC power sources, and more. Is there anything else you'd like for me to answer?

Molly - CRM2723
Distinguished Wordsmith
MWorrell
0 Kudos

MollyO wrote:

Just as with any product utilizing a lithium ion battery, lifetime will depend heavily upon charging/discharging habits...

If you feel compelled to elaborate on this point, I would be greatly interested.

B&N Bookseller
MollyO

Rather than having a "lifetime" most lithium ion batteries have a number of charges before a battery begins a decline. I have not yet experienced this as an issue with any of our NOOK devices, I have experienced this with my iPhone. Barnes & Noble did a great job with this device and as it was taken into consideration that they would often be charged before a low battery notification, they developed a trickle charge device. This means once the NOOK is charged, it no longer continues to charge (the green light on the NOOKcolor charger indicates the charge is complete and on the NOOKclassic, the yellow light turns off). Apple does the same however with the heavy daily use of my cell phone, I charge it every night no matter if it is dead or at 50%. This cuts into the charge life of my phone. Unlike a cell phone, with NOOK, you do not need to charge on a daily basis as with my experience, my usage does not warrant doing so. Additionally, using Barnes & Noble chargers will go a long way as aftermarket charging devices and cords may cause over-charging and damage your battery. Bottom line, I haven't experienced any problems.

In conclusion, if you are using the NOOK cords and charging when needed, I would estimate your NOOK will have a very long life. We charge the store demonstration devices each day and additionally, keep them plugged in when not in use. I have yet to see one of the demonstration batteries fail or exhibit signs of damage and am confident in more than a 13 month expectancy.

Molly - CRM2723
Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

mykoffee wrote:

KingAl wrote:

They do have a longer lifespan. This was just bad luck.  Try to find a single electronic product that has NEVER failed within 13 months.

Well we don't really know a lot about the Nook's lifespan because many are just hitting the one year mark and many have had multiple replacements. 

If you come to a conclusion based on forums, then you would probably think that the Kindle and iProducts are also unreliable. It is a simple fact that almost all posts on forums regarding reliability are from people with problems.