Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MWorrell
0 Kudos

Re: Nook: life expectancy 13 months?

MollyO, thank you very much! That was great info!

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

Josienjoe wrote:

What do you expect?  he comes to a board full of folks that LOVE their device and trashes it over (and over and over).  Go to a board for Pug dog lovers and tell them you think pugs look ugly.  Go to a board for jazz music and post something that you think jazz sounds stupid, and see if you get different reactions.  Go to an Auburn footrball board and post you think they bought their way to a championship. I bet the responses will make this board look tame.

I have a pug so I like your example!  :smileyhappy:   However, it's not entirely the same,  this isn't a fan forum like you might have pug lovers or a football fans.  These are B&N's forums and they are selling the product.   Of course people are going to come here to voice their displeasure and there will be people on these boards that are both thrilled and frustrated with their Nooks.

Linda

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

KingAl wrote:

mykoffee wrote:

KingAl wrote:

They do have a longer lifespan. This was just bad luck.  Try to find a single electronic product that has NEVER failed within 13 months.

Well we don't really know a lot about the Nook's lifespan because many are just hitting the one year mark and many have had multiple replacements. 

If you come to a conclusion based on forums, then you would probably think that the Kindle and iProducts are also unreliable. It is a simple fact that almost all posts on forums regarding reliability are from people with problems.

I haven't come to any conclusions yet, the jury it still out.  I am considering my own experience,  I have had one Nook replaced that I purchased a year ago and I have a newer one as well that hasn't made it to a year.  The Nook is still new enough that we don't know how long the average lifespan will be.  The cracking page turn buttons is a well known widespread issue so lots of Nooks have been replaced inside of their year anniversary.

Linda

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

mykoffee wrote:

Josienjoe wrote:

What do you expect?  he comes to a board full of folks that LOVE their device and trashes it over (and over and over).  Go to a board for Pug dog lovers and tell them you think pugs look ugly.  Go to a board for jazz music and post something that you think jazz sounds stupid, and see if you get different reactions.  Go to an Auburn footrball board and post you think they bought their way to a championship. I bet the responses will make this board look tame.

I have a pug so I like your example!  :smileyhappy:   However, it's not entirely the same,  this isn't a fan forum like you might have pug lovers or a football fans.  These are B&N's forums and they are selling the product.   Of course people are going to come here to voice their displeasure and there will be people on these boards that are both thrilled and frustrated with their Nooks.

Linda

You deleted the poster's name and left mine.  It's not my post.

Inspired Contributor
BooperFH
0 Kudos

Since you received it as a gift you are not out any money. You may have a decent amount of books to read in your nook library.  Buy.com is selling pre-owned Nooks for $99. Get it and get an extended warranty.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

BooperFH wrote:

Since you received it as a gift you are not out any money. You may have a decent amount of books to read in your nook library.  Buy.com is selling pre-owned Nooks for $99. Get it and get an extended warranty.

OR buy a freakin' battery for $10.00 like tons of people have taken time out of their day to tell you ( not you booper - my comment is towards the person with the original issue)

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

BooperFH wrote:

I seem to recall reading that you can not get an extended warranty on a pre-owned Nook.  I could be mistaken about that though.

►Without order there is chaos◄
New User
84fxstc
0 Kudos

Unfortunately this is what led to the down fall of the American car companies as well as appliance companies, sears is doing it with their tools now, Still knowingly puts out a weed whacker that will not eject the string the list is getting longer no one works hard for there money any more to care, All customer service does is answer the phone, They do not care its not their problem. Write a letter to Barnes and noble If I was you I would continue to find some one at Barnes and Noble to look into not only the problem that you have had or are you just the start of a major problem.

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

BooperFH wrote:

I seem to recall reading that you can not get an extended warranty on a pre-owned Nook.  I could be mistaken about that though.

I believe, I read you could get a squaretrade warranty, but without the accidental damage coverage.  Someone posted the whole thing last week during the saleaday thread.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

Re: lithium ion battteries

(slightly OT)

I have learned the hard way (confirmed by mfr website) that Li-ion batteries on a laptop are very susceptible to the "cycle limitation." 

I used to keep my laptop battery in all the time, even though it's sitting in my office, connected to the AC.The laptop, unlike the Nook, is NOT a "trickle charger" that shuts off when the battery is fully charged.  Rather it undergoes a (shallow) discharge-charge cycle continuously...so the number of "cycles" just keeps going up, until the day you want to unplug it and take the battery-powered laptop to work while in a hammock, and poof! it's dead in 5 minutes, instead of the 3 hours you were expecting.

Nothing to do with the Nook...just another factoid for those who care...

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Inspired Correspondent
emtgirlCV
0 Kudos

Buy the 2 year warranty:smileyhappy: I totally believe in them. I had a couple problems with the place wher you press down to turn the page...now I swipe. They were very nice , and they replace my Nook twice, and I'm very happy. I also just got the Nook Color this past holiday season and again I got the 2 year warrenty again. My books are my treasures and if I have to take out a little " insurance policy" out on them to have peace of mind ...then Just do it !

Inspired Correspondent
emtgirlCV
0 Kudos

I agree with you all the way !

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

Regarding the protection plan on the refurb, I am pretty sure the following is true, but anyone that knows differently feel free to correct me:

1) regarding the 1saleaday ones ($80 ones) - based on comments above it does sound like you can get a squaretrade coverage pack, but does not cover accidental stuff

2) regarding buy.com - no idea if they offer an option, I didn't look ($99 price)

3) B&N refurb - you CAN buy a extended warrenty for their refurbs ($119 priced nook)

B&N Bookseller
MollyO
0 Kudos

You can purchase our Barnes & Noble 2 year coverage with the purchase of our refurbished devices. 

Molly - CRM2723
Distinguished Correspondent
blemons

Here's a link to the sale-a-day thread.  My post regarding extended warranties is about the 6th one.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/Nook-Classic-79-99-refurbished/m-p/85...

But since the formatting is so bad, I have re-posted below, too.

Regarding Squaretrade... I do not have personal experience, but was able to find from their site and stuff I have read on here in the past....

1. Accidental Damage Warranty does NOT cover refurbs (I think the regular one does).

2. You only get coverage up to the amount you spent. So if you buy a refurb for $79.99 - you will get $79.99 if/when you use the warranty (they do not replace, they send you a check). So you might then have to purchase a new unit at the higher price - but you would have the cash back for the $79.99 you did spend initially.(edited to add: I have actually heard conflicting responses on this, so not sure if the warranty is $149 regardless of your actual price, or if it's your actual purchase price).

3. It asks where you purchased from when you buy the warranty at SquareTrade - but the choices are either "retailer" or "ebay". So not sure if this deal would qualify as a retailer? It's not ebay... so is it retailer by default? Or does it not qualify? I am not sure on that part.

4. Following direct from SquareTrade's site: "For Refurbished & Used Items: Coverage lasts 1-2 years, as indicated at the time that you purchase your warranty. This coverage starts on the day after the manufacturer's warranty expires, or if there isn't a manufacturer's warranty, on the 61st day after your item purchase. Note: This means that your item is not covered for issues happening in the first 60 days after you purchase your item.

Coverage for Used items is only available for items sold on eBay. For items with delayed shipment: If you purchase an item that doesn't ship immediately, as long as you can provide us with proof of the actual date the item was shipped, we will be happy to change your coverage start and end date. To do this, please call us at 1-877-WARRANTY (1-877-927-7268)."

"Accidental Damage from Handling (ADH) coverage ADH coverage is an option for new, store-purchased items and protects against drops and spills. It does not cover loss, willful damage or gross misuse. ADH is typically offered as an option for MP3 Players, Laptops, GPS Devices, Cameras, and other portable electronics, but is generally not available on refurbished or eBay items."

Also, when you select ereader then Nook to get a quote... it asks whether you want 2 or 3 year and gives you a price quote. Then in small print, it says "new items only, must purchase coverage within 90 days of purchase".

Distinguished Correspondent
blemons
0 Kudos

RSC_Nook wrote:

Regarding the protection plan on the refurb, I am pretty sure the following is true, but anyone that knows differently feel free to correct me:

1) regarding the 1saleaday ones ($80 ones) - based on comments above it does sound like you can get a squaretrade coverage pack, but does not cover accidental stuff

2) regarding buy.com - no idea if they offer an option, I didn't look ($99 price)

3) B&N refurb - you CAN buy a extended warrenty for their refurbs ($119 priced nook)

Square Trade's  site does say there are certain retailers you cannot get the ST warranty for if you purchased from... and buy.com is one of them.

But, when you purchase the Nook on buy.com - they give you the option to purchase a ST warranty at that time.

And yes, as far as I can tell - you can get extended warranties (for the most part - not sure about sale-a-day eaither), but it does not cover ADH.

Reader 2
jhs1954
0 Kudos

It is not logical to assume that all Nooks will malfunction one month after the warranty expires.  I had a Nook that experienced the very same ink issue while under the 12-month warranty.  It was replaced by B&N.  My husband's Nook is over 1 year old and did not experience this problem.  It is not a "known issue for Nooks over 12 months old."  It is just one malfunction of the technology that may or may not occur.  Yes, it is frustrating when any product malfunctions shortly after the warranty expires.  It does happen. That is what extended warranties are for.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

I wish the one guy would of just tried a battery and let us know if that worked.  he is painting a picture that the device itself broke when I am not believing that it did.  a  $10 battery (something that at times does die) might of solved his problem and shown the board it did not die.

oh well

Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

RSC_Nook wrote:

I wish the one guy would of just tried a battery and let us know if that worked.  he is painting a picture that the device itself broke when I am not believing that it did.  a  $10 battery (something that at times does die) might of solved his problem and shown the board it did not die.

oh well

He's gone...never to be heard from again. Listen carefully...[flap, flap, flap]

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Frequent Contributor
Bellesteacher
0 Kudos

It is true about the customer service thing. Apple's is so much better in or out of warranty. They fixed my computer and had it returned in 2 days at the cost of buying the warranty. B&N are difficult to get through to anyone and then the customer is left on hold for hours. That is for a book problem. I can't imagine what it would be like for a Nook issue. I do believe BN needs to fix their CS issues.