New User
xjcsa
0 Kudos

Nook: life expectancy 13 months?

[ Edited ]

I received a Nook as a gift from my employer on January 8, 2010 - just over a year ago.

Two weeks ago, on vacation in the Caribbean, my Nook quit working.  I had been reading a book, but had left the Nook on my dresser.  When I went back to my room to grab it, it was frozen.

The touch screen is working normally, but the e-ink reading screen is frozen with a black bar across the top 1/8" or so.  The reading screen will flash when restarting or occasionally during other activity, and occasionally other artifacts and lines will appear on the screen, but it won't break out of its frozen state in any useful way.  Again, only the e-ink reading screen is frozen; everything else works.  But of course that's the most important part of the Nook.

I tried rebooting.  I tried a factory reset (the restart 4 times thing).  The reset worked - took me back to the original OS - but it didn't fix the screen.

I then installed the current OS manually (1.5).  The installation was successful, but it didn't fix the screen.

I called BN customer service tonight to ask for their assistance.  They had me remove and replace the battery, but told me that if that didn't work, I was out of luck because I was "way out of warranty."  And by "way" out, they mean 34 days.

Well the battery thing didn't work, so apparently my Nook is now trash, per BN's customer service.  I won't be buying another one, obviously - I prefer to buy things that last longer than a year, and I prefer to deal with companies that take customer service a bit more seriously than BN appears to.

I'm not sure whether I'll go back to buying paper books (albeit not from the local BN store or BN.com) or whether I'll buy a Kindle.  But Barnes & Noble has lost my business for a long time, and I'll make sure I let my friends know that buying a Nook is a more of a one-year lease than a purchase.

It's a shame, really - the device is a cool idea, but if it only lasts long enough to get through the warranty period, it's a cool idea poorly implemented.

Frequent Contributor
EscapistFL

Re: Nook: life expectancy 13 months?

blah blah blah blah

Distinguished Correspondent
MegSLP

Ok, I'm a little tired (sick dog plus have been out of town at a convention) so let me see if I got this straight...

Your NOOK is 13 months old and broke.  You went to B&N for help, they told you what to do, and it didn't work.  You are mad because your device is out of warranty and they didn't replace it? So, now you refuse to do any business with B&N because they followed the contract (i.e., warranty) that you agreed with by buying the device.

Um, ok...

New User
xjcsa
0 Kudos

I'm not mad about it, exactly.  They have no obligation to replace my nook, although I was a bit surprised that their first reaction was basically, "well, you're screwed, and that's that."

I had something similar happen with an iPod a couple of years ago.  The difference in customer service between Apple and B&N has been just night and day.

But no, Barnes and Noble has no obligations to me whatsoever.  The Nook managed to last a couple weeks beyond the warranty expiration, so they're free to tell me to take a hike - which they did.

Neither do I have any obligations to Barnes & Noble - I can and will take my business elsewhere.  I'm certainly not going to buy another Nook so I can watch it die immediately after the warranty expires.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
0 Kudos

Yes.  All Nooks die immediately after the warranty expires.  They're designed that way by big evil B&N.

►Without order there is chaos◄
New User
xjcsa

You know what, let me put this a bit differently.  I was pretty annoyed when I wrote my initial post, and it's more of a rant than anything else.

So here's my revision:

My Nook is 13 months old.  The display screen quit working, although it flashes all black/white when I turn the Nook on and at some other times.  The touch screen works just fine, and the OS seems unaware that anything is wrong.

Any suggestions, or am I just screwed?

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

So do you think if you had a Kindle and it broked 34 days past the warranty they would of done something different?   

or do you think because your ONE device died after 34 days past one year they all do?  your must be the norm, not the exception?

I doubt it is the norm

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528

If you can't read it then there's probably not much you can do other than buy a new one.  There aren't any Nook repair shops that I know of.  I didn't purchase the extended warranty with my Nook and if it breaks after the warranty period ends that's what I'm planning on doing (unless there's another great device out there that I want more).

►Without order there is chaos◄
Wordsmith
Runnergirl77

I guess that I have a different perspective on anything computerized or technical.  I usually expect it to be "vulnerable" to such problems after a year is over.  These gadgets take a lot of abuse, even when we think we are handling them with care.  All the minor bumps, exposures to different air qualities (smoke, humidity, etc), and such are bound to take a toll at sometime.  How is it that some of us can spend thousands of dollars on an automobile, KNOWING that we will be replacing it within five or six years, but something that we spend considerably less on is supposed to last the same amount of time, even though it is far more delicate?

We EXPECT that we will eventually have to replace our notebooks (laptops), home computer, microwave oven, television, dvd player, etc. every so often.  Why should we not expect that of an eReader, no matter what the brand?

Personally, if you have tried everything, I would look at purchasing a refurbished Nook.  Myself, I would be unwilling to abandon my BN library to go to an entirely different format, but that's just me.  It's not like you are out-of-pocket for the cost of your first Nook, as it was a gift.  My digital library is worth more to me than the unit I read them on.

I know of folks who have had similar issues with both Kindle and Sony, and they both were fit to be tied, threatening to go with another company because they were out-of-warranty. No matter which way you turn, it can happen; nobody is immune.

If Apple service is truly that good, and it may be for all I know, cough up the $$ for an iPad.  Yes, it costs more, but you'd have the Apple company behind you, and you could download the BN app to read your current library.  If this is the route you choose, I'd love to hear how it goes.  I think that Apple is a great company, just a tad overpriced for my budget most of the time.

AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

If my Nook WiFi broke after 13 months (August 2011) I'd probably  buy another one or, hopefully, a Nook Classic 2nd edition (if one is out by then).

My experience with the Nook so far has been very positive.  I enjoy using it and I love the library book access.  I wouldn't be interested in a Kindle (no library book access) or a color tablet (too large and a relatively short battery life).  My only real alternative to another Nook WiFi would be a Sony, which I'd probably consider.

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb

Before you give up, take it to a B&N store and have them check to see if it's the battery.  Perhaps that may be all you need.  It's worth a try.

gnkc
0 Kudos

xjcsa wrote:

You know what, let me put this a bit differently.  I was pretty annoyed when I wrote my initial post, and it's more of a rant than anything else.

So here's my revision:

My Nook is 13 months old.  The display screen quit working, although it flashes all black/white when I turn the Nook on and at some other times.  The touch screen works just fine, and the OS seems unaware that anything is wrong.

Any suggestions, or am I just screwed?

xjcsa - you've by now seen that you'll get no sympathy from the people on this board. The vast majority will do nothing but defend BN. BN can do no wrong, but hey, that's to be expected on a forum hosted by BN.

You are correct when you say thet the Nook is a great idea implemented poorly.

Wordsmith
shilohMD

xjcsa wrote:

I'm not mad about it, exactly.  They have no obligation to replace my nook, although I was a bit surprised that their first reaction was basically, "well, you're screwed, and that's that."

I had something similar happen with an iPod a couple of years ago.  The difference in customer service between Apple and B&N has been just night and day.

But no, Barnes and Noble has no obligations to me whatsoever.  The Nook managed to last a couple weeks beyond the warranty expiration, so they're free to tell me to take a hike - which they did.

Neither do I have any obligations to Barnes & Noble - I can and will take my business elsewhere.  I'm certainly not going to buy another Nook so I can watch it die immediately after the warranty expires.

If the 34 days were 64 days, would you feel the same way?  74?  84?  4? 14?

Bottom line: the warranty expired, and if B&N had cut you some slack you would have been lucky/blessed/struck by lightning, etc.

BTW, I'd be interested if you could clarify "...The difference in customer service between Apple and B&N has been just night and day..."  Did you have an out-of-warranty claim that they honored after 34 days?  74? 84? 4? 14?

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Wordsmith
shilohMD

gnkc wrote:

[snip]

xjcsa - you've by now seen that you'll get no sympathy from the people on this board. The vast majority will do nothing but defend BN. BN can do no wrong, but hey, that's to be expected on a forum hosted by BN.

What is the poor implementation?  Ignoring the warranty?

I concur that there have been some horrific customer service stories posted here, but some people seem to have a well-developed sense of self-entitlement, and believe that the warranty (pretty standard, BTW...) can't possibly apply to them,..they're special, you see...

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

gnkc wrote:

That's YOUR opinion.  I don't share it.

New User
xjcsa
0 Kudos

shilohMD wrote:

xjcsa wrote:

Bottom line: the warranty expired, and if B&N had cut you some slack you would have been lucky/blessed/struck by lightning, etc.

BTW, I'd be interested if you could clarify "...The difference in customer service between Apple and B&N has been just night and day..."  Did you have an out-of-warranty claim that they honored after 34 days?  74? 84? 4? 14?

Sure, I'll clarify.  Apple replaced my iPod six months out of warranty.  They had no obligation to do so, but there was a known manufacturing "issue" that had caused the problem.  They replaced it, no hassles, with an identical refurbed iPod.

It was customer service above and beyond what was required, and it won some serious loyalty from me.

New User
xjcsa
0 Kudos

shilohMD wrote:

I concur that there have been some horrific customer service stories posted here, but some people seem to have a well-developed sense of self-entitlement, and believe that the warranty (pretty standard, BTW...) can't possibly apply to them,..they're special, you see...

Shiloh, the poor implementation is building a product that dies the minute the warranty expires.

No, I'm not special.  B&N has no obligation to do anything for me whatsoever.  And I have no obligation to continue to purchase from B&N.  Their call.

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

gnkc wrote:

If you were to go back and look at earlier posts by long time posters, they aren't always happy with B&N. 

Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

xjcsa wrote:

shilohMD wrote:

xjcsa wrote:

Sure, I'll clarify.  Apple replaced my iPod six months out of warranty.  They had no obligation to do so, but there was a known manufacturing "issue" that had caused the problem.  They replaced it, no hassles, with an identical refurbed iPod.

It was customer service above and beyond what was required, and it won some serious loyalty from me.

Awesome!  That really is above and beyond.  I can honestly say that sort of thing has never happened to me...and I would NOT expect it as standard practice.

Maybe you are special!  :smileywink:

Wordsmith
shilohMD

xjcsa wrote:

shilohMD wrote:

Shiloh, the poor implementation is building a product that dies the minute the warranty expires.

No, I'm not special.  B&N has no obligation to do anything for me whatsoever.  And I have no obligation to continue to purchase from B&N.  Their call.

I don't believe it's fair to paint with a broad brush and state that B&N is "...building a product that dies the minute the warranty expires..."  Yours died a month out of warranty, and that's unfortunate...everyone gets a lemon from time to time...

I submit that the "lemon rate" for Nooks is not abnormally high