Reader
vsil
0 Kudos

Nook light - glare

I have been searching on this board any feedback about glare on Nook Classic from book lights. I don't see a ton of discussion on this, so I am guessing it's not an issue. I did see one post that said that there is some unavoidable glare, but I guess it doesn't affect the reading if you position the light in a certain way.

This is pretty much my only area of concern before I buy the Nook since the touch screen readers tend to be just a little more reflective than Kindle screen.

Have you had any glare/white spot problems when using book lights with Nook Classic?

If yes, how much does it affect the reading? Is it to the point where you have to keep shifting the light in order to see the screen?

Thanks! Vera

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: Nook light - glare

vsil wrote:

I have been searching on this board any feedback about glare on Nook Classic from book lights. I don't see a ton of discussion on this, so I am guessing it's not an issue. I did see one post that said that there is some unavoidable glare, but I guess it doesn't affect the reading if you position the light in a certain way.

This is pretty much my only area of concern before I buy the Nook since the touch screen readers tend to be just a little more reflective than Kindle screen.

Have you had any glare/white spot problems when using book lights with Nook Classic?

If yes, how much does it affect the reading? Is it to the point where you have to keep shifting the light in order to see the screen?

Thanks! Vera

I'm confused.  The original nook has the same screen as the Kindle, it is not a touch screen reader.  The only touch screen on it is the small color screen at the bottom that you use to navigate.

The new Nook Simple Touch has a touch screen.

Frequent Contributor
LibroAmante
0 Kudos

I have not experienced any type of glare.  When I have the light off in my room, it is pretty dark, and I can read without any problems.

Reader
vsil
0 Kudos

I was referring to 2nd generation B&W Nook - I may have not used the right terminology here by calling it Nook Classic :smileyhappy:.

Reader
vsil
0 Kudos

Thanks for your feedback! This helps

LibroAmante wrote:

I have not experienced any type of glare.  When I have the light off in my room, it is pretty dark, and I can read without any problems.

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

I think what vsil might be talking about is similar to a minor annoynace I had with my N1E when I first got it.  While the eInk screen looks fantastic in sunlight, there is still a teeny tiny bit of shine on the finish of the screen.  Shining an LED book light on that screen puts a highly concentrated dot of light shine (is the best way I can describe it) on the screen.  This in no way made the text unreadable, but that shiny dot annoyed the heck out of me.

To fix this, I figured out to aim the light down the screen instead of directly at it.

If this is what you are experiencing, try this "fix".

Frequent Contributor
LibroAmante
0 Kudos

Schwa wrote:

I think what vsil might be talking about is similar to a minor annoynace I had with my N1E when I first got it.  While the eInk screen looks fantastic in sunlight, there is still a teeny tiny bit of shine on the finish of the screen.  Shining an LED book light on that screen puts a highly concentrated dot of light shine (is the best way I can describe it) on the screen.  This in no way made the text unreadable, but that shiny dot annoyed the heck out of me.

To fix this, I figured out to aim the light down the screen instead of directly at it.

If this is what you are experiencing, try this "fix".

You pretty much spoke what I was going to say :smileyhappy:.  I take back my previous comment, I never noticed anything until after I read this original post, and checked last night.  There is a small spot for me, if I don't adjust my light a little farther out, never really paid attention, so I assumed there was nothing there.  It is like you stated really minor, and I found, that when I moved my light out, the spot went away.  Even with the light pushed more towards the Nook, it was not enough of a bother to interfere with my reading.  But I wonder if it varies based on which type of light you have, mine is just one I picked up from Dollar Tree.  I just wanted to come back, and update, since I paid more attention.

Reader
vsil
0 Kudos

Thanks LibroAmante and Schwa - that's exactly what I was looking for. Sounds like you can adjust the light enough where the "light dot" is minimized. Just wanted to make sure it's not something that would annoy the heck out of me as I read at night quite a bit and I feel much better about it now.