Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

Nook running slow?

After a while it seems like the Nook STR (N2E) reallys starts to slow down.  If you are experiencing this, try the following:

1.  Go to the home screen, press the "n" button, and select "Settings".  Select "Search".  Press the "Clear recent NOOK searches".

2.  With your WiFi enabled -- Press the "n" button and select "Search".  Type in something like www.google.com and select "go".  Once the page loads, on the right upper area, look for the star and lines.  Select the lines.  You should get a drop down menu.  In that menu, select "Windows".  You should now get a list of any open windows.  Press the "x" in the circle to close each of them.  Go back to the home screen. 

Your Nook should now run faster.  Additionally, if you have signed in to Facebook or other social features, sign out and disable them. 

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

Re: Nook running slow?

P.S.  Not sure if this will work with the original Nook or Nook Color.  Thus far I have only used it with the new Nook. 

Frequent Contributor
mettleh3d
0 Kudos

my nook feels a little slower but i attribute that to the 99 books i have loaded on there. when i cleared all of them, the nook was zippy.

hard to imagine those who filled their nooks to the rim.

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

The only reason I can see the Nook slowing down with a lot of books is because of it trying to remember what page you are on in each, or if you highlight and note a lot of things.  Not sure if there is a command to "forget" these placemarks. 

New User
lordspanky
0 Kudos

I do realize how old this thread is, but this may be useful for those with slow responding colors and possibly tablets as well. Go to settings > device info > erase and deregister and follow any prompts I did this and my nook is running just about like new. I use mine primarily for internet use, of which ive done many hundreds of hours. I thought my nook was permantly slow until i did this. Touchwas slow to respond, pages load slow, links dont work, text boxes also sometimes dont work. All this was remedied in five effortless minutes. Of course you have to do the initial setup, which is easy, and you will lose all your files, but for myself it was worth it.
New User
lordspanky
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Sorry, i was posting about a nook color i got last fall. I should have paid more attention to the forum i was posting in. Someone diligently tagged my post as wrong forum. Indeed. :-)