Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
mxcnvida
0 Kudos

Nook stuck on "Your NOOK is starting up" (Need help from Afghanistan...please!) =)

[ Edited ]

I just got a refurbished NOOK today, and after hitting the Power button, my screen stays stuck on the starting up screen.  Is there a way to reboot it?  I've tried turning the power off, but it still stays stuck on the starting up screen.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I am currently in Afghanistan.  Thanks in advance.

Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

Re: Nook stuck on "Your NOOK is starting up"

Have you fully charged the battery?  Sometimes there are problems like yours when the battery charge is too low.

New User
mxcnvida
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply.

I initially was able to turn it on, and it had a 75% charge, and worked fine.  Guess I'll try and leave it charged for a bit.

Just for info: is there a hard-reset on the Nook?

Thanks in advance.  =)

B&N Bookseller
MollyO
0 Kudos

Yes, the hard reset for NOOKclassic would be to hold down the power button until the device restarts. You can also remove the battery and while it is out, plug your device in the wall.

Molly - CRM2723
Contributor
Neighner
0 Kudos

That happened to me when I was in the middle of downloading the update 1.5.  I ended up having to have them replace it because nothing I did would work.

B&N Bookseller
MollyO
0 Kudos

I have had a lot of success with this particular issue. Normally this issue is caused when there is a service interruption during the download/update process. A factory fallback or a delete of the update and manual sideload of 1.5 works however I am happy to hear your issue was resolved.

Happy Reading.

Molly - CRM2723