Contributor
chloe_madison
0 Kudos

Nook touch screen problem

Is there anything besides your finger that will be accepted in touching the nooks touch screen? My mother has fake nails and has a hard time getting the pad of her finger on the right button. We tried a pencil eraser and a Nintendo DS pointer but nothing seems to work besides someones finger. Is there anything we can buy that anyone knows that works?

Thanks! :smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

Re: Nook touch screen problem

Try using a knuckle. That might work.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Contributor
chloe_madison
0 Kudos

yea we tried that too... sometimes it works but she gets frustrated because especially when typing in a search she hits more than one at a time.

Frequent Contributor
Joykins
0 Kudos

You could try a conductive stylus, although they're difficult to swipe with they might help with the keyboard.

Frequent Contributor
Teski
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The conductive stylus may be the only other option. It tends to react like the iPhone screen. Gloves and other items that cover my fingers won't work.

Contributor
chloe_madison
0 Kudos

thank you! I will look into that!

Correspondent
dElaphant
0 Kudos

You can also use frozen sausages. 

Yes, I'm serious. Really.

Frozen Sausages as stylus

New User
adroit
0 Kudos

I am frustrated with my Nook Touch.  I just purchased it this afternoon and it took forever to unlock the device.  I also think the design is counter-intuitive and here's why . . .  On my other one, a S--y, to turn a page you swipe from left to right, just as you would turn a page in a book.  This model swipes in the opposite direction.  Also, I don't know the point of placing a lock on it as you don't need a password to unlock it.  I'm not kidding, it took several minutes for the Nook to respond. What I do like is the legibility of the screen; very easy to read.  I like the feel of it in my hand which is an improvement over my other one.  I will give myself another few days to become accustomed to this particular model, but if things don't improve, I'll simply stick with what I already had.

Correspondent
ChipPM
0 Kudos

Don't bother swiping the screen to turn pages. Just tap the right side of the screen to go forward and the left to go back. The NE2 responds much better to tapping than swiping.

Distinguished Correspondent
northlite
0 Kudos

If yours is resounding that slowly, take it back and exchange it. That doesn't sound normal. Mine is very responsive. I love it! And stop swiping pages. Not necessary, and takes longer....just a quick tap on the right side of the screen turns pages.
My Nook Touch is named Buzz Lightyear! Together we go to infinity and beyond! B&N, please restore the ability to name our Nooks!
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
0 Kudos

adroit wrote:

I am frustrated with my Nook Touch.  I just purchased it this afternoon and it took forever to unlock the device.  I also think the design is counter-intuitive and here's why . . .  On my other one, a S--y, to turn a page you swipe from left to right, just as you would turn a page in a book.  This model swipes in the opposite direction.  Also, I don't know the point of placing a lock on it as you don't need a password to unlock it.  I'm not kidding, it took several minutes for the Nook to respond. What I do like is the legibility of the screen; very easy to read.  I like the feel of it in my hand which is an improvement over my other one.  I will give myself another few days to become accustomed to this particular model, but if things don't improve, I'll simply stick with what I already had.

First, you have to swipe the touch screen on the N1E from right to left to turn the page forward, just as you do on the N2E.  Second, your device sounds defective.  I would exchange it for a new one.

Inspired Correspondent
DeltaT
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
A Q-Tip works perfectly as a stylus, and certainly won't damage the screen. I was surprised, but very pleased to learn this. And they're cheap to replace,too.
Frequent Contributor
MikeNC
0 Kudos

Since the N2E is using a grid of infrared LEDs around the periphery of the screen to detect touch, anything that interrupts the LED grid should work.  You should also not that you do not really need to literally touch the screen - just putting your finger very close to it (ie. belowy the outer edge of the frame but not touching the glass) will work as well.

This review is from last year, and it is for Sony's devices, but the touch technology is the same for the N2E, and the Kobo touch for that matter:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7-20021924-82.html

Frequent Contributor
Unburnt
0 Kudos

I would like to point out that this topic is nearly a year and a half old, and the touch screen the OP is referring to is the capacitive one on the N1E, NOT the optic one for the N2E. As such, a cotton swab will not work on it. A frozen sausage, however, will. :smileywink: You need a capacitive stylus in order for it to work on the N1E. They're fairly easy to find, almost all that are advertised for iPhones/iPads and the like should work.
Frequent Contributor
MikeNC
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Yeah, sorry.  A morning "DoH" moment.  I read Nook touch screen, not Nook touch screen...

Frequent Contributor
Unburnt
0 Kudos

MikeNC: Sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound like I was addressing you specifically. I thought you made it very clear that you were talking about the n2e. It was more of an fyi for anyone else skimming the topic.