Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Leopardfire
0 Kudos

Nook vs. Kindle

What's the differences between the two?  Why should I buy the Nook over the Kindle or vice versa (or however you spell that)?  Because I have a Kindle but I'm looking into the Nook and I want to know if I should buy it.  I've had 3 Kindle's but they keep breaking (probably because I don't take care of them).  My mom has a Kindle and it works fine for her but maybe the Nook is better for me.  Please help, thanks :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Re: Nook vs. Kindle

@Leopardfire

This link will take you to a comparison:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/compare/?bnit=H&cds2Pid=30195

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Don't know how careless you've been with your kindles, but whichever you get, make sure you get a good case for it.

It depends on what you want to be able to do with it.  One is not "better" than the other.  Do a search on this board.  There are lots of posts explaining the advantage of a nook.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Myself, I will NEVER move away from epub, I love the library book option!  I have four library cards now I'm sure that will increase!  :smileywink:

Whatever you do, get a SquareTrade warranty for it, cheaper than the B&N extended warranty by half!

Frequent Contributor
gram944
0 Kudos

Would be interested in hearing your choice of library cards.

(Just got my Nook activated yesterday and wish I could master the art of transferring the books from library sites and Kobo. Feel like I have looked at a gazillion suggestions on these great boards)!

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

gram944 wrote:

Would be interested in hearing your choice of library cards.

(Just got my Nook activated yesterday and wish I could master the art of transferring the books from library sites and Kobo. Feel like I have looked at a gazillion suggestions on these great boards)!

I'm in California so I've got the option of almost all the libraries in the state, I just have to go to the library and pick them up...  I have family in Texas so I "borrowed" on of theirs (they don't "do" ebooks) so I have access to one there...

So far:

Orange County

LA County

LA Public Library

Arlington Texas

Check the link in my sig for other options...

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Since I use Adobe Digital Editions for library books, I use it to transfer books from Kobo.  Just make sure it's authorized to your nook. 

Library cards vary depending on who will give you a card which basically depends on what state you live in.  Frog has a link in her signture for library search.  If you look at the total number of e-books, you'll get an idea of number available.  Epub is better than pdf.

No matter where you live, you can get a card to the Free Library of Pennsylvania for $15 a year (out of state charge) without even going in to get it.  I live in Texas and have three free library cards from Texas libraries - the closest is 1 1/2 hours from my house.  I got one by mail.

Arlington Public Library (the best of the three for my reading tastes, but I use all of them)

Harris County Public Library (I was visiting a relative and got it)

Houston Public Library (free by mail)

Do a search on library card on this forum. 

ABthree
0 Kudos

@gram944

Welcome! :smileyhappy:  Hope you're enjoying your new Nook.

What kind of problems are you having with transferring books you buy on Kobo?

-- St. Basil the Great+
Frequent Contributor
gram944
0 Kudos

So far it's a love affair with the Nook! Trying to think specifically what happened with the Kobo download, which was same with first library book I tried.

Know that password is same on Nook as ADE. ADE recognizes the Nook. Could see the books on the rght side of ADE and they came up in the "purchased" and "borrowed" areas. When I tried to drag and drop they did not show on My Documents in Nook. Had to right click on explore and go into the Nook drive and drag and drop there. After that I believe is when I plugged in the Nook.

THEN, decided to download another library book so could write down what I had to do. This time I had the Nook attached to my computer and the book automatically moved onto the Nook without any dragging. Was that the problem.....that the Nook needs to be plugged into computer? If so, duhhh. For the first time user with only average computer skills, there seems so sometimes be an assumption that one automatically knows things that we don't all know.

Now, all that being said......was that the entire problem do you think?

ABthree
0 Kudos

gram944 wrote:

THEN, decided to download another library book so could write down what I had to do. This time I had the Nook attached to my computer and the book automatically moved onto the Nook without any dragging. Was that the problem.....that the Nook needs to be plugged into computer?

That's right -- the Nook needs to be plugged into the computer so that ADE recognizes it, and the whole drag-and-drop process takes place within ADE.  Sounds like you've got it. 

After you close ADE, don't forget to Eject your Nook -- and your microSD card, if you have one -- before you unplug it, and you're good to go!

-- St. Basil the Great+
New User
Leopardfire
0 Kudos

Haha I'm not careful with them is the problem XD  Byt thanks, that will help.

Correspondent
Jodisims
0 Kudos

Here are the things that made me choose the Nook over the Kindle:

1) Nook software updates that do not require you purchase a new unit

2) In house, brick-and-mortar store support

3) able to borrow e-books from Library

4) at the time I bought it, Amazon was having a big problem with books/publishers not being available.  That's probably been resolved by now.

5)Able to replace battery without sending unit in

6)expandable memory

There are other differences but those are the things that stuck out in my mind and pushed me into Nookdom.  A month later my Husband was Nookitized!  We are a 2 Nook family and lovin it!!

Happy Reading!

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education ~ Mark Twain

click here for information about sideloading library books
click here to view Nook user guide
Frequent Contributor
JulieBulie
0 Kudos

I have a nook but have been curious about the kindle 3 because of the new screen technology.  But I found out something yesterday that completely turned me off to a kindle.  Not only do you have to send your kindle to Amazon to replace the battery, but you don't get your own kindle back.  I read it on a kindle board and called Amazon to verify the information.  They said to speed up turnaround time, they send you back a reburbished kindle (someone else's returned kindle that was returned for battery replacement, damage, problems, whatever).  You DO NOT get your own kindle back!  That in itself tells me I made the right decision to go with a nook.  If you bought an extended warranty with square trade or another third party warranty service, I wonder how they handle it if you have a different kindle due to a battery change which I think would have a different serial number?  

Julie

Frequent Contributor
china_cat
0 Kudos

JulieBulie wrote:

I have a nook but have been curious about the kindle 3 because of the new screen technology.  But I found out something yesterday that completely turned me off to a kindle.  Not only do you have to send your kindle to Amazon to replace the battery, but you don't get your own kindle back.  I read it on a kindle board and called Amazon to verify the information.  They said to speed up turnaround time, they send you back a reburbished kindle (someone else's returned kindle that was returned for battery replacement, damage, problems, whatever).  You DO NOT get your own kindle back!  That in itself tells me I made the right decision to go with a nook.  If you bought an extended warranty with square trade or another third party warranty service, I wonder how they handle it if you have a different kindle due to a battery change which I think would have a different serial number?  

Julie

They still cover the new refurbished kindle under your warranty. I know because I have an iPod touch under warranty with square trade. Due to the way apple manufactured the touch, a battery can not just be removed and replaced so if you make a claim about battery issues (failure to hold a charge, won't charge, etc) they will actually just send you a refurbished iPod touch when you send in the one that needs repaired.

Also a warning about the above and another reason to NOT get a kindle (or any other device in which the user can not change the battery) - I sent in my iPod due to battery issues. My iPod is about 1.5 to 2 yrs old (not sure exactly, I'd have to dig out the receipt) BUT I was meticulous about how I cared for my ipod. It didn't have one scratch on it - I checked before I sent it in. When I received the refurbished unit, it was covered in scratches and not nearly in as good of condition as my old ipod. It was also a hassle to do something about it - SquareTrade doesn't do the warranty work themselves, they pay other companies to take care of it. So first you have to call SquareTrade so they can make not of what is going on, then they give you a number to call and a transaction number and you have to call the repair company, give them the transaction number, and explain to them what happened. Then they decide if they will take bak the damaged item or not. If they will, they email you a shipping label, if not I guess you're just out of luck. It's a big pain in the rear - especially since battery issues are one of the main reasons devices fail. Why a device would be manufactured so that the battery can't be changed is beyond me!

New User
prog
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Well that is disturbing.  My wife has been bugging me to get a Kindle but I like my Nook.  Now I have another reason for not going that route.  I'll change my own battery when the time comes.  Plus I like that fact that I can put a monster MicroSD card in it if I want. More memory is not an option with the Kindle.   

Frequent Contributor
JREwing
0 Kudos

I've had my Nook since March.  The only thing I do not like about it is the fact that there is not the selection of ebooks compared to Amazon.  I get frustrated that books are available on Amazon, but not on the Nook.  Just read the thread in the Ebook Discussion section on "Can’t Find Your eBook? Tell Us Here."

Otherwise, I love my Nook.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

JREwing wrote:

I've had my Nook since March.  The only thing I do not like about it is the fact that there is not the selection of ebooks compared to Amazon.  I get frustrated that books are available on Amazon, but not on the Nook.  Just read the thread in the Ebook Discussion section on "Can’t Find Your eBook? Tell Us Here."

Otherwise, I love my Nook.

The great thing about the Nook is that you are not tied to the B&N store. You can buy books at any store selling ePub.

You can use search engines like AddAll or Inkmesh to search for books.

Frequent Contributor
Beckah
0 Kudos

I've been researching the K3 with the thought of having both a Nook and a Kindle. I'd keep the Nook for epub - library checkouts. But over the past 4 months of Nook ownership, I find myself all too often going to Inkmesh just to find that Amazon is the only or the cheapest place for the titles I want. The K3 has better note-taking and bookmarking. Also I recently downloaded Kindle for PC and I like Amazon's website and shopping so much better than B&N's website and shopping --Amazon is significantly faster with much better searching. I also like that the Kindle3 is lighter and smaller than the Nook. 

As for the battery issue (from my research), it seems that a replacement battery can be ordered from Amazon and there's a video available to show how to change the battery. 

The Nook is a great idea with lots of potential such as the "lend me" feature; however, the potential has not yet become the reality. The "lend me" feature is a one-time loan and is only offered a few books. The "Read in Store" marvelous idea but check out the threads where lots of readers have no place to sit and read in the store. B&N is working on things -- I've seen a number of changes over the past few months -- but I think most of the Nook's potential has yet to be realized. That's part of the reason I'd hang on to my Nook if I buy a K3 -- to see if the Nook moves from being a great idea to being a great reality.

Wordsmith
NookGuy
0 Kudos

Beckah wrote:

As for the battery issue (from my research), it seems that a replacement battery can be ordered from Amazon and there's a video available to show how to change the battery. 

The original (version 1) Kindle allowed the user to replace the battery. The newer ones (version 2 and now the 3) do not have a user-replaceable battery. 

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,998

Lend-Me

Beckah wrote:

The "lend me" feature is a one-time loan and is only offered a few books.

One-time loan, definitely. "A few books" is an exaggeration.

As of this posting, B&N shows:

(Technically, the search for lendable non-free e-books overlooks those with a price below $1. However, a separate search for those showed that there are none.)

So of the e-books that aren't free—why loan a free one?—37.5% (or 3 out of 8) are available for lending. That's a bit more than "a few" in my opinion.

For the price range of $7.00 to $14.99, which probably covers most of the novels of interest:

So in that important price range, over 53% of the e-book titles are lendable.