Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Dhanu
0 Kudos

Re: Nook vs. Kindle

NookGuy wrote:

The original (version 1) Kindle allowed the user to replace the battery. The newer ones (version 2 and now the 3) do not have a user-replaceable battery. 

Yes you can change the battery.  It isn't a pop the back and swoosh the battery is changed, but you can purchase a battery and change it yourself.

Correspondent
love_my_karma
0 Kudos

Dhanu wrote:

NookGuy wrote:

The original (version 1) Kindle allowed the user to replace the battery. The newer ones (version 2 and now the 3) do not have a user-replaceable battery. 

Yes you can change the battery.  It isn't a pop the back and swoosh the battery is changed, but you can purchase a battery and change it yourself.

Wouldn't that void the warranty?

She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (1873)
~ Louisa May Alcott ~
Frequent Contributor
Dhanu
0 Kudos

love_my_karma wrote:

no, it wouldn't.  You are just changing a battery, not softrooting the ereader or some such thing.  I would think if you put in a battery not made for the Kindle then it could.

Correspondent
iambrad
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

JREwing wrote:

I've had my Nook since March.  The only thing I do not like about it is the fact that there is not the selection of ebooks compared to Amazon.  I get frustrated that books are available on Amazon, but not on the Nook.  Just read the thread in the Ebook Discussion section on "Can’t Find Your eBook? Tell Us Here."

Otherwise, I love my Nook.

That may well be true for now, but the nook is less than a year old. It will even out with time.

A few things to remember about the Kindle

1. All of their "free" sources listed also have epub formatted books
  2. You can't yet borrow from the library
  3. Any books you buy on Amazon can not be used on any other reader. If you amass a large library of books, you are basically stuck with them.

I'm not saying it is better or worse than the nook, but those three things factored heavily into my choice.

PS-while searching the amazon store I found that they carry the "ePub Publishing Guide". Ironic?

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Re: Lend-Me

@Doug_Pardee

Those are some impressive stats.

I had never run a search myself, as it's not a make-or-break factor for me. Given many other behaviors from publishers, I just assumed participation in Lend Me would be significantly less. Nice to know I was wrong on that one.

Wordsmith
NookGuy
0 Kudos

Dhanu wrote:

love_my_karma wrote:

no, it wouldn't.  You are just changing a battery, not softrooting the ereader or some such thing.  I would think if you put in a battery not made for the Kindle then it could.

I beg to differ. The Kindle 3 battery is NOT considered user-replaceable. If you try to and hose it, I believe Amazon will say you voided the warranty. There have been posts on forums at Amazon, MobileRead, etc with emails from Amazon CS reps stating that the battery is not user replaceable. I would check with Amazon before attempting it.

Frequent Contributor
Tropicseed
0 Kudos

On whether replacing a Kindle's battery might void its warranty, I would be very upset if the battery died before the warranty expired! And would demand a replacement under the warranty. Same for the nook, if my battery dies within a year I'll ask for a replacement under warrenty.

patrick

Frequent Contributor
dee_deefl
0 Kudos

have you done any research into Nook or Kindle??

I spent many months researching this subject before I decided.

Please do the research and buy the BEST e-reader for you.

Happy Nooking

and

have fun!    :smileyvery-happy:

New User
pmd772
0 Kudos

Have grown disenchanted with the Nook as I see so few titles available on B&N ebooks for download in comparison to Amazon. I made several searches on both sites for identical titles and Amazon almost always has a Kindle version and B&N frequently does not and does not provide any information as to when I can expect an ebook version will be available.  For example: HBO just premiered a new series "Boardwalk Empire" this week. When I went to find the original book that inspired the series, Amazon has it ready to download as a Kindle book and B&N strikes out again. You would think that B&N would have considered the sudden surge of interest that the new series would generate in purchasing the ebook.

I am very disappointed to date and wished I had purchased a Kindle. :smileysad:

From what I can compare, I believe that the Nook is a better device than Kindle but the technology and design is useless if B&N can't compete in titles. Hopefully this will change soon.

Correspondent
love_my_karma
0 Kudos

pmd772 wrote:

Have grown disenchanted with the Nook as I see so few titles available on B&N ebooks for download in comparison to Amazon. I made several searches on both sites for identical titles and Amazon almost always has a Kindle version and B&N frequently does not and does not provide any information as to when I can expect an ebook version will be available.  For example: HBO just premiered a new series "Boardwalk Empire" this week. When I went to find the original book that inspired the series, Amazon has it ready to download as a Kindle book and B&N strikes out again. You would think that B&N would have considered the sudden surge of interest that the new series would generate in purchasing the ebook.

I am very disappointed to date and wished I had purchased a Kindle. :smileysad:

From what I can compare, I believe that the Nook is a better device than Kindle but the technology and design is useless if B&N can't compete in titles. Hopefully this will change soon.

Unlike Kindle, you have more options for book purchases than the B&N site alone. You can shop at other booksellers, and borrow from many public libraries.

Certainly, I hope that over time B&N will have a broader selection of e-titles, but until then, I love knowing that I have options, and am not locked into one file format or source.

She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (1873)
~ Louisa May Alcott ~
New User
pmd772
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response Karma and I understand what you are saying, but for me, Amazon vast selection just makes it so much easier. Again, I hope that changes soon.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

pmd772 wrote:

You would think that B&N would have considered the sudden surge of interest that the new series would generate in purchasing the ebook.

That book is from a "boutique" publisher. There are probably thousands of boutique publishers, and working e-book distribution contracts with all of them is both time-consuming and probably costs more in legal fees than B&N would ever make off of them. Then there's the matter of setting up the software systems to actually transfer e-books from publisher to B&N and sales reports and money from B&N to publisher.

The solution is PubIt!, which allows the publishers to put their e-books directly onto B&N "bookshelves" without much effort by B&N. Once PubIt! gets released, you should start to see a lot more boutique content on B&N.

Correspondent
iambrad
0 Kudos

pmd772 wrote:

Thanks for the response Karma and I understand what you are saying, but for me, Amazon vast selection just makes it so much easier. Again, I hope that changes soon.

It will. Just keep in mind that if you do switch, every book you buy at amazon is one more tying you down to the kindle. Even if you only buy 50 books (conservatively $500), you are now heavily invested in the kindle. When deciding whether or not to switch readers you have to consider the replacement cost of those books as part of the price of the new reader.

What happens when that time comes? Maybe you want to buy the new super awesome fun reader that also makes a great cup of coffee while you read. As great as that sounds, you just lost your entire amazon book library.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923

Dhanu wrote:

Kindle Warranty TCW, Section 9, Subsection B:

B. Service or replacement required as a result of any alteration of the equipment, or repairs made by anyone other than a participating servicing dealer, an authorized service provider, its agents, distributors, contractors or licensees, or the use of supplies other than those recommended by the manufacturer.

If you replace the battery on your K3 and something goes wrong they will not cover it. You have voided your warranty.

Wordsmith
NookGuy
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

Dhanu wrote:

Kindle Warranty TCW, Section 9, Subsection B:

B. Service or replacement required as a result of any alteration of the equipment, or repairs made by anyone other than a participating servicing dealer, an authorized service provider, its agents, distributors, contractors or licensees, or the use of supplies other than those recommended by the manufacturer.

If you replace the battery on your K3 and something goes wrong they will not cover it. You have voided your warranty.

... like I said. People see the original Kindle, for which Amazon did sell a replacement battery for, as well as allow the user to do the replacement, and think the same applies to the Kindle 2 and the new Kindle 3. It pays to do your research!

Frequent Contributor
JREwing
0 Kudos

I realize that I can get books from sources other than B&N.  But lately, it seems like Amazon is the only seller for books that I need.  I think publishers are making exclusive deals with Amazon and not the other sellers.

I have found many instances where B&N will release an ebook much later than Amazon, which is very frustrating. 

Frequent Contributor
Beckah
0 Kudos

iambrad wrote:

pmd772 wrote:

It will. Just keep in mind that if you do switch, every book you buy at amazon is one more tying you down to the kindle. Even if you only buy 50 books (conservatively $500), you are now heavily invested in the kindle. When deciding whether or not to switch readers you have to consider the replacement cost of those books as part of the price of the new reader.

What happens when that time comes? Maybe you want to buy the new super awesome fun reader that also makes a great cup of coffee while you read. As great as that sounds, you just lost your entire amazon book library.

Nook books purchased through B&N have B&N's proprietary DRM, which won't let you use them on other eReaders. So every book bought from B&N ties you to B&N and the Nook. Your entire library -- unless you purchase everything from somewhere other than B&N in ePub format -- won't transfer if the marvelous eReader of the future doesn't support B&N's DRM. Plus the underlying assumption if you buy everything in ePub is that ePub will be supported by this future eReading device. 

I happen to think the future of the eReader is going to be like the Playaways sold now for audiobooks -- the electronic device is just going to be part of the purchase of the book. I also look at how music has evolved in my lifetime from 78s to LPs to 8-tracks to tapes to CDs to MP3s and I've probably forgotten a step in there. Any book that I want "forever", I'm buying in the old-fashioned paper book form. However probably 90% of my reading is one-time only. 

Also never forget that you're not buying an eBook -- you're buying a license to use the eBook. That's true whether you buy from B&N, Amazon or wherever. It's also a very different kettle of fish from owning a physical book.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923

Beckah wrote:

Nook books purchased through B&N have B&N's proprietary DRM, which won't let you use them on other eReaders. So every book bought from B&N ties you to B&N and the Nook. Your entire library -- unless you purchase everything from somewhere other than B&N in ePub format -- won't transfer if the marvelous eReader of the future doesn't support B&N's DRM. Plus the underlying assumption if you buy everything in ePub is that ePub will be supported by this future eReading device. 

Actually when the next major update for ADE gets pushed (should be some time soon, we're about due for an update) it has already been confirmed that the BN DRM schema will be included, and you'll be able to transfer your BN EPUBs to any other device.

Wordsmith
NookGuy
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

Beckah wrote:

Actually when the next major update for ADE gets pushed (should be some time soon, we're about due for an update) it has already been confirmed that the BN DRM schema will be included, and you'll be able to transfer your BN EPUBs to any other device.

...and of course, you can read Sony eBooks on the nook, and you can read library books. Can't do that on the Kindle ...

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005

Beckah wrote:

Nook books purchased through B&N have B&N's proprietary DRM, which won't let you use them on other eReaders.

It's counting the angels dancing on the point of a needle, but B&N's DRM is technically not proprietary to B&N. B&N has shared it with Adobe, and it's now generally called something like ACS4 Social DRM. ACS4 is Adobe Content Server 4, the bookseller side of Adobe Digital Editions.

There are other e-readers that can handle B&N e-books. The Pandigital Novel is probably the most significant. There's also the Ectaco Jetbook Lite—and perhaps the Mini; we'll see. And the iRex DR800SG… which is also available with a Jeppessen label for pilots, at a breathtaking price.

A number of other e-readers with B&N capabilities were announced but vanished when the price drops started. The Samsung E-60 is being sold overseas, but since B&N can't sell e-books to overseas buyers, Samsung doesn't say whether the E-60 still supports B&N e-books as originally designed.

Anyway, there do exist other e-readers that can handle B&N e-books. But it's arguable whether any of them are significant.