Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Philomorph
0 Kudos

Nookcolor hardware specs?

I may have just missd them, but have the hardware specs for the nook color been revealed? I'm considering getting one instead of the original Nook because of the more tablet-like functions. But I'm not sure it'll be worth the trade-off of not having the e-ink and battery life.

I'm wondering how fast the CPU is and how much RAM it has so I can figure out how good of an android device it's actually going to be.

Frequent Contributor
Philomorph
0 Kudos

Re: Nookcolor hardware specs?

I did see the new info from TI about the CPU, but no speed mentioned.

I'm also wondering about how well the screen will do in sunlight for reading. e-Ink is great at this, but LCD screens not so much.

I'm not going to take it to the beach and try to read in direct sunlight, but I do like to sit out back in the shade and read. But a laptop screen is pretty much unreadable out there.

Frequent Contributor
JoeNook
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

everything seems to be pretty high end

LG IPS 1024 x 600 resolution screen  very very sharp, this will be nice

TI OMAP 3621 processor   very solid, no word on speed but from what I've read around the horn should come in anywhere from 720ghz to around 800ghz,  that's pretty sweet for this price point.

multi touch capactive screen

It def. appears they did not cheap out and went high end all around.

Im pretty excited.

Distinguished Correspondent
Jadjuka
0 Kudos

It seems to me to be like a smaller iPad, and considering the price and the fact that the reason I'm getting it so I can use it as an e-Reader, I think its a better price. Overall, I like the new color version.

Contributor
CoryN
0 Kudos

The CPU is an OMAP3, the same CPU range used in many high-end cell phones.  It should be fast and support 3D games.  Seems pretty good, but B&N could easily be shooting themselves in the foot if they don't support the already large Android app store, or if coding for it is wildly different than other Android devices.