Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
booksnpics
0 Kudos

Nooks covers eBooks pros & cons

I do love my nook....BUT. Why are there so many problems with the covers & accessories? The first one I ordered b&n canceled. I paid for that one with a gift card. It took them 2 weeks to put the money back on it! The second one I still haven't received. It seems like the only covers are the expensive ones. My husband bought me the nook so I could easily take my books every where. It goes a lot of places with me. Shortly after I got it it got scratched. I called about getting it replaced and now I've heard that you only have 1 replacement for the 2 years. I haven't been able to find anything to back that up yet. Does anyone know if its true? They sure didn't tell me that when I called about it. It was a bad scratch, but Its something I could have lived with If I had known I got one replacement. I would have only used it for something that made my nook unusable. Which brings me back to the problem of the covers. If I had one my nook possible would not have gotten scratched. I call my local B&N every couple of days to see if they have any in. No such luck.  I also thought that eBooks where supposed to be at least a little bit less expensive than print. Are there any other sites I can buy eBooks from? B&N doesn't offer some in the series I'm reading. I do love the fact that I can carry a lot of books around with me. I can get books quickly. The battery life isn't bad. It's not the best but that could be because I read a lot. My nook seems to have a problem freezing. And it does freeze. It wont even let me turn it off. I've had to let the battery drain or take it out. Can I organize my books? It list them in the order I bye them. I would like to list them alphabetically. Maybe it's because I'm not very computer literate, but I haven't been able to find answer to the questions I have. I guess I can call customer service and sit on hold for way to long to have an impatient person act like they have better things to do than their job! Has anyone heard of the library of free books? I found the free section under eBooks but it's laughable! Not to mention there is only a handful of books, most of which I don't read. All in all I do love my Nook & knowing all of these problems I would still buy one.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Re: Nooks covers eBooks pros & cons

[ Edited ]

I would suggest you use the search box on the top right hand corner of this screen and check out the various topics you want information on.  They have all been discussed over and over and over, so it will not be difficult to find the answers.

As to the cost of covers, I purchased the Adler cover for less than $30 with no problem and I've had it the entire time I've had my nook.

No hold time at all these days if you call CS.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI

I have a B&N cover for my nook. B&N seems to be selling out of covers faster than they can get them in stock, however there a number of other places you can get a cover for your nook. You can search this board for information on nook covers or just type "nook covers" into Google and get over a hundred hits.

Yes you get only 1 replacement nook under the terms of the B&N extended warranty (or the square trade one for that matter). This is clearly stated in the terms and conditions which you should have read before buying the warranty. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but this is pretty much standard in the industry.

There are many eBook sites you can buy from. Try these to start with: Fictionwise and Kobo.

There are also eBook search engines that will search multiple sites for your eBooks and let you comparison shop. Try AddAll.

There are hundreds of thousands of free books available through Barnes & Noble, Google books, Project Gutenberg, and others. Search these boards or read the nook documentation to find others.

You can also borrow free eBooks from local public libraries. Once again these boards have the information you need to do so.

A final word of advice. This board is full of knowledgeable users who are happy to help a new comer with any problem they might have. However someone who comes on the board saying the nook is a piece of junk, when the only issue is they don;t know how to use it. Just pisses them off and makes them not want to help you.

Contributor
joseph-d
0 Kudos

Until i can see the nook accessories in person I'm using an old dvd tin. I just wrap it in a microfiber towel so it doesn't move around.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ARHC8EFCL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

I'm so pleased,  I got in my Industriell cover today that has been on backorder!  When I got my Nook they were sold out and I really wanted this one so decided to wait until the April 1st. arrival date.   I too used a $25 gift card to purchase it so only had to pay around $6 when all was said and done.

It's so nice!  It adds some heft to the weight now but at least I know now that my Nook is protected.  I love how it clips into the slots already on the Nook so that you don't have those bands on the corners.  I am very happy with the way it folds back completely and comfortably for reading.   I couldn't be more pleased.

This is the one I purchased, it looks like it is still in stock -

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Industriell-Cover/e/9781615513352/?cds2Pid=30261

Linda

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

@Booksnpics

First and foremost:  Paragraphs are your friend.  There is no shortage.  Please Use them.

1) Some of the covers available in B&N stores are reasonably priced, and provide good protection.  Avoid the designer covers, ang get the pedestrian models.  Every once in a while a store will have these on sale for less than the website.

I have the Industriell cover by B&N,  Very serviceable:

2) You never have to let the battery drain.  Where in earth did you get that idea?

Hold down power button for 20 seconds and let it up, then tap it again.

3) You can Organize your books (in My Documents), but the current version of the operating system will show them all together in one list.  That might change, nobody knows.

4) Read these forums, you will find most questions answered here.

5) Finding free books is simple.  Select the Genera, then sort by price.  Its actually easier to do this on the website than on the nook itself.  

6) Try some other book sources as well, such as Manybooks.net  gutenberg.org Fictionwise.com, etc.  

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

booksnpics wrote:

I I found the free section under eBooks but it's laughable! Not to mention there is only a handful of books, most of which I don't read..

The free ebook section that you found, I assume from the link on the left is a small amount of the free books.  As someone else pointed out, use the browse section on the left, select your genre and then sort by price.  There are thousands of free ebooks out there.

Also, try inkmesh.com, that site will search for free ebooks on a number of sites, but it also doesn't necessarily have them all.  

There is definiteiy more free books out there than what is shown on the free ebook page.  I've downloaded a number of free ebooks that sound interesting.

New User
zeroman
0 Kudos

Hey Books,

If your nook freezes hold the power button down until it completely shuts down - no screensaver, blank page.  Then reboot it.  Try turning off your wireless also if you aren't using it.

Larry - yes there are a lot of knowledgeable people on the threads.  I think I am one of those.  My first nook is/was a piece of crap.  Four minutes or more to load music with the earphones in, a very loud electrical snap when you put the device to sleep with the headphones in, freezes constantly when trying to update data from a fringe wireless area instead of just saying you are out of range.  Last night it didn't even recognize the micro card I had installed.  I had to reboot twice to make it work.  The little door that holds the micro sd card in just fell off one time.

So you may be very happy with your device, but I'm sorely disappointed in mine despite loving the reader portion of the nook.  Please don't make generalizations that make folks think that everything is perfect about the nook.  I'm waiting for a replacement after working with customer service for over a month.  I finally managed to get a supervisor to send me a replacement. 

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

zeroman wrote:

Hey Books,

If your nook freezes hold the power button down until it completely shuts down - no screensaver, blank page.  Then reboot it.  Try turning off your wireless also if you aren't using it.

Larry - yes there are a lot of knowledgeable people on the threads.  I think I am one of those.  My first nook is/was a piece of crap.  Four minutes or more to load music with the earphones in, a very loud electrical snap when you put the device to sleep with the headphones in, freezes constantly when trying to update data from a fringe wireless area instead of just saying you are out of range.  Last night it didn't even recognize the micro card I had installed.  I had to reboot twice to make it work.  The little door that holds the micro sd card in just fell off one time.

So you may be very happy with your device, but I'm sorely disappointed in mine despite loving the reader portion of the nook.  Please don't make generalizations that make folks think that everything is perfect about the nook.  I'm waiting for a replacement after working with customer service for over a month.  I finally managed to get a supervisor to send me a replacement. 

There is no one here who tries to convince everyone that "everything is perfect" and no one has issues.  It isn't those of us without problems who make all the generalizations; it's those with issues, those who come on here and post that the nook is a horrible device, that no one is happy with it, etc.

Why are you posting under a different username?  What was wrong with aztec506?

New User
booksnpics
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

o

Contributor
Blitsky
0 Kudos

I actually purchased my cover from Amazon.  I got my nook in December and there were very few covers even available.  I found a nice leather folio type that holds the nook nicely, leaves room to plug in the charger and folds closed to protect the screen.  It also allows me to hook a reading light on the cover so I can read at night or in places that are not well lit.  I believe it cost less than $25.  The selection is growing every day so you might want to look at Amazon for accessories.

New User
booksnpics
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

o

New User
booksnpics
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ok I'm glad some people have nothing better to do than act like they are perfect and have the time to sit around and critique everyone else's mistakes. As for my first(and defiantly my last) experience with posting and bloging on B&N, for the most part it was bad. Thank you to those who actually had something helpful on the topic to add. I didn't call the Nook a piece of crap. I think I remember saying I would buy another. Thanks for the other eBook sites. As for my literary skills I opologize profoundidly that theys don't met some o ya'll expectation. I hate to use a board for something it's not intended for, but I feel like everyone else was so liberal with there opinions off the subject I might as well give mine. As with any other new device it has its good points and its bad. I haven't had any problems with my new one. Once again, Thank You to those who had helpful advice to give me. So now I'm going to take my Nook & skedaddle & the next time I think I need help with something I'll grit my teeth and figure it out on my own! I will go back to bumbling around on my own!

New User
rc748
0 Kudos

Bought a Nook Color and I think they are pretty good for the money paid.   I especially like the color LCD feature because I like to read my favorite magazines while I wait in line, wait at a doctor’s office, or anywhere else.

I did have a hard time finding a sleeve for it.  However, found a small company that makes a pretty good sleeve for this unit and sells them for only $8.95 with free freight at www.nuvo-tek.com.

By the same token, if anyone knows of where I can buy a good cover (not a sleeve) that is not too expensive for the Nook Color, please let me know.

Thanks

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Try m-edge store.  I have the trip cover for my NOOK classic and it has protected it against two drops. 

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

amazon has a great cover for like $12

best buy sells very nice (but still about $30) m edge covers

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook

booksnpics wrote:

Ok I'm glad some people have nothing better to do than act like they are perfect and have the time to sit around and critique everyone else's mistakes. As for my first(and defiantly my last) experience with posting and bloging on B&N, for the most part it was bad. Thank you to those who actually had something helpful on the topic to add. I didn't call the Nook a piece of crap. I think I remember saying I would buy another. Thanks for the other eBook sites. As for my literary skills I opologize profoundidly that theys don't met some o ya'll expectation. I hate to use a board for something it's not intended for, but I feel like everyone else was so liberal with there opinions off the subject I might as well give mine. As with any other new device it has its good points and its bad. I haven't had any problems with my new one. Once again, Thank You to those who had helpful advice to give me. So now I'm going to take my Nook & skedaddle & the next time I think I need help with something I'll grit my teeth and figure it out on my own! I will go back to bumbling around on my own!

I read and re-read all the responses to you.  I think one person asked you to use paragraphs, one person recommended to search for the topics ONLY because most likely it has been covered and you will instantly have the answers versus waiting for a bunch of responses.

then there were lots and lots and lots of good people taking time out of their day to help you.  MAYBE (maybe) one small ask to use paragraphs (which is not that harsh) and the rest very nice posts and you come back with this post above?  that for the MOST PART it was bad?  because of ALL these folks that helped you? 

Distinguished Wordsmith
MWorrell
0 Kudos

booksnpics wrote:

It seems like the only covers are the expensive ones. My husband bought me the nook so I could easily take my books every where.

Buy this case. That's my advice:

http://www.amazon.com/BoxWave-Nero-Leather-Elite-nook/dp/B000BULO5E/ref=cm_cr-mr-img

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

MWorrell wrote:

booksnpics wrote:

It seems like the only covers are the expensive ones. My husband bought me the nook so I could easily take my books every where.

Buy this case. That's my advice:

http://www.amazon.com/BoxWave-Nero-Leather-Elite-nook/dp/B000BULO5E/ref=cm_cr-mr-img

that si the one I meant in my comment about amazon.  that one looks awesome, was the one I almost got

Correspondent
bayboatin
0 Kudos

I just ordered an $85 cover on the BN store on ebay for $22 - woohooo! I'd check there - it makes expensive covers much more affordable.