Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
kiwi2011
0 Kudos

Nooks in Public libraries

Any librarians or patrons out there that check out a B and N NOOK from a library?

We have Ebooks available through our collection of databases, but I would really like to get some opinions or anecdotes on how popular they are.

My library consortium is hoping to buy 10 B and W Nooks

Will that be a popular and practical move??

thanks in advance

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Re: Nooks in Public libraries

There's a system called overdrive that many librarys have gotten onto that is a database of e-books.  I think a lot of libraries have found it to be a great thing to embrace.  The Nook Nation and Kindle Crazies are not going anywhere so I think it would be a good investment for any public library to do.

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

I did see a post from a library, (N. Carolina?) that has a Nook lending program.

I'll try to find it, I don't remember if it was on this forum or another.

Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

kiwi2011 wrote:

Any librarians or patrons out there that check out a B and N NOOK from a library?

We have Ebooks available through our collection of databases, but I would really like to get some opinions or anecdotes on how popular they are.

My library consortium is hoping to buy 10 B and W Nooks

Will that be a popular and practical move??

thanks in advance

That depends on how many e-books your library system has available.  Mine has over 3,000.  I bet if they had Nooks available to lend, the demand would be huge.

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

I live in a fairly rural area and my local library has 2 Nooks to lend. I am also curious as to how they are doing and plan on asking a librarian next time I am in there. The library is growing it's eBook collection quickly too.

Contributor
mlibrarianus
0 Kudos

Howard County Library in Columbia, Maryland is currently lending 60 B&N 3G/Wifi Nooks to our customers.  It's been an instant hit with the hold queue well over 500 (close to 600).  They come pre-loaded with 34 titles we selected.  Our goal was to introduce our customers to the technology of the eReader not so much the eBook (as we have had vendors for some years now that provided the eBook content).  I know 2 other counties in our state are also circulating Nooks (not as many as us) and we've been contacted by several other library systems who wish to do the same.

Beth

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

mlibrarianus wrote:

Howard County Library in Columbia, Maryland is currently lending 60 B&N 3G/Wifi Nooks to our customers.  It's been an instant hit with the hold queue well over 500 (close to 600).  They come pre-loaded with 34 titles we selected.  Our goal was to introduce our customers to the technology of the eReader not so much the eBook (as we have had vendors for some years now that provided the eBook content).  I know 2 other counties in our state are also circulating Nooks (not as many as us) and we've been contacted by several other library systems who wish to do the same.

Beth

You answered a question or issue I was thinking of before I finally got to your post.  That is, how do you coodinate the Nook rental with the book you want to read rental.  Would I wait for my 21 days for the nook then once I got it try to pick a book for it?  If so the wait for the book I want may be 1-2 weeks, thus kind of defeating the purpose.

Having pre loaded selections seems to perhaps be the smart alternative.  You don't want to lend a Nook, have them get it, then find out it will be 1-2 weeks before they can get any book on it, and longer perhaps for more popular ones. 

How does the credit card thing work since each Nook must be loaded or aligned with a credit card?  Do you just have a password protection on the Buy feature?

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

I wonder how many people know that you can download the Nook App to a PC and still use that to get library books even if they don't own a Nook (or Sony reader or any other compatable device)

Yes you don't have the nice portable device, but a lot of times you could still use a laptop at home etc if you wanted to.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

RSC_Nook wrote:

How does the credit card thing work since each Nook must be loaded or aligned with a credit card?  Do you just have a password protection on the Buy feature?

NOOK 3G/Wifi doesn't have to be registered to use sideloaded content.  

NOOKColor has to be registered in order to get to any of its functionality, but NOOK 3G/Wifi can be left unregistered. 

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

RSC_Nook wrote:

NOOK 3G/Wifi doesn't have to be registered to use sideloaded content.  

NOOKColor has to be registered in order to get to any of its functionality, but NOOK 3G/Wifi can be left unregistered. 

ah... very cool.  I did not know that.  I have a nook classic and once I got it I registered right away, never thought about the fact the cc is only to validate the B&N nook books.  good point that if you ONLY used this for a library then that is sideloaded content.

Contributor
mlibrarianus
0 Kudos

The way we handled the default credit card issue was to use a TIP card (like a debit card) and keep a $0 balance on it.  That way customers can't order content.  I also have them password protected for purchasing.  However, we did have one smart teen figure out that you can unregister the Nook - register it in his name then purchase content or sideload from sites like OverDrive.  We do have a disclaimer that if you add any additional content to the Nook it will be removed and we will not refund your money if you purchased it. 

Beth

Contributor
mlibrarianus
0 Kudos

I have both Nook for PC and the Nook app on my Android phone.  They link to your B&N account from what I can see.  If you want to download titles from vendors like OverDrive you have to use Adobe Digital Editions.  Your ebooks from OverDrive don't show up in the Nook apps.  Unless there is some setting I'm missing - how did you get it to display library ebooks?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

cbtengr wrote:

I did see a post from a library, (N. Carolina?) that has a Nook lending program.

I know that NCSU (North Carolina State) lends both NOOKs and Kindles to its staff and students.

A friend of mine is a faculty member there and that's how she decided on a Kindle - she borrowed both from her library and played with them.

I haven't seen anything like it mentioned here, so it must have been elsewhere that you saw something.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

It's funny but part of the reason I love my Nook for borrowing from the library is that I DON'T have to actually go to the library itself.  The NYC Public Library that I have one card with is 50 miles away and going there requires bridges / tunnels and is not pleasant.

So lending a device seems kind of strange to me if you're going to lend it multiple times to the same person.

I can see lending a device to someone for them to test or try out.  But if you're going to the library anyway then I would probably just get a DTB.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

you have to use the overdrive app on your phone to load the library books. ADE is only for the computer. I am reading the same library book on my Nook and on my Android phone.

mlibrarianus wrote:

I have both Nook for PC and the Nook app on my Android phone.  They link to your B&N account from what I can see.  If you want to download titles from vendors like OverDrive you have to use Adobe Digital Editions.  Your ebooks from OverDrive don't show up in the Nook apps.  Unless there is some setting I'm missing - how did you get it to display library ebooks?

Contributor
mlibrarianus
0 Kudos

Ah, thanks.  I have the OverDrive app on the phone but never bothered with it.  Sad thing is it only allows you to use ePUB and MP3 files.  The two OverDrive titles I have now are both PDF so they won't show on my phone.  Thanks again for the info.

Correspondent
Rocknsoul
0 Kudos

Wow! I keep learning new things. I just downloaded the Overdrive app. Happy times!

ProfReader wrote:

you have to use the overdrive app on your phone to load the library books. ADE is only for the computer. I am reading the same library book on my Nook and on my Android phone.

New User
Kriswill82
0 Kudos

I have checked out some ebooks from my library and they show up in my Nook documents, but when I try to open them to read it says "User not activated" and won't let me into the book,  I have no problem reading them on my laptop with the adobe digital editions program.  Does anyone know what I need to do to fix this?  Is there some way to link my adobe account with my b&n account or something else I need to do?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Kriswill82 wrote:

I have checked out some ebooks from my library and they show up in my Nook documents, but when I try to open them to read it says "User not activated" and won't let me into the book, 

It sounds like you need to plug NOOK into the computer and delete one or two files - the .adobe-digital-editions and the Digital Editions on NOOK.  Then reauthorize NOOK with ADE and try again.  (If you have a Mac, you need to show hidden files to find the .adobe-digital-editions file)

Basically:

• Download ADE.
  • Authorize ADE on your computer.
  • Go to library.
  • Download an ebook.  (Don't save, click open.  It should open with ADE.)
  • Plug NOOK in.
  • ADE recognizes NOOK.
  • Authorize NOOK in ADE by following prompts.
  • Drag icon of book (in ADE!) onto icon of NOOK (in ADE!)
  • "Safely Eject" NOOK
  • Tap "Check for New Content" in "My Documents"
  • Read.  :smileyvery-happy:

The thread linked in my signature is like the ADE Bible and should have the longer version, as well as fixes for pretty much anything that can go wrong.