Contributor
OneCraftySAHM
0 Kudos

Re: Nooks in Public libraries

mlibrarianus wrote:

Howard County Library in Columbia, Maryland is currently lending 60 B&N 3G/Wifi Nooks to our customers.  It's been an instant hit with the hold queue well over 500 (close to 600).  They come pre-loaded with 34 titles we selected.  Our goal was to introduce our customers to the technology of the eReader not so much the eBook (as we have had vendors for some years now that provided the eBook content).  I know 2 other counties in our state are also circulating Nooks (not as many as us) and we've been contacted by several other library systems who wish to do the same.

Beth

Oh how I miss the Columbia, MD library!  Hubby and I lived in Columbia for years, and we were just talking the other day about how much we miss that library!

Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

With all the budget cutting that's going on now, I fear for the funding of public libraries.  While my own ibrary, of Fairfax County, Virginia, seems to be adequately funded and has a fair number of ebooks, I'm wondering how long this is going to last.

Distinguished Correspondent
jamartMF

AndyfromVA wrote:

With all the budget cutting that's going on now, I fear for the funding of public libraries.  While my own ibrary, of Fairfax County, Virginia, seems to be adequately funded and has a fair number of eBooks, I'm wondering how long this is going to last.

Maybe it is time we all stop and consider this problem.  I would hate to loose my library.  I get so many free eBooks and the use of my free library.  I think it is time for me to make a donation to them.  If we each can do our small part we will not have to loose them.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

jamartMF wrote:
Maybe it is time we all stop and consider this problem.  I would hate to loose my library.  I get so many free eBooks and the use of my free library.  I think it is time for me to make a donation to them.  If we each can do our small part we will not have to loose them.

Great post.  My home library has a "Donor Plus" program.  I paid my $30 gladly - although I honestly don't know what additional benefits I get.  I don't really care; the library itself is worth more than that to me.

I've also joined the "Friends of the XXX Library" - which is the "booster" group for the nearest branch - which happens to be in a not so great neighborhood.  As much as they need my money, they really need me to help them prove their worth to people with MORE money.

Contributor
mlibrarianus
0 Kudos

OneCraftySAHM - thank you for the kind words.  Hopefully if you are ever back in the area you'll pay us another visit.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nooks in libraries just makes sense.

I remember "way back when" that the Archos company made some of the first battery operated portable devices before the iPods became so mainstream. They were about half again as big as a deck of cards.

The libraries had these and would put 2-4 audiobooks on them that a patron could check out. They were a big hit as well. I also remember Archos had a unit for $169 that came with 100 audiobooks on it. I thought that was fabulous, but it was before I learned how to rip my own CDs to work on little Creative Labs gadget.

So with technology advancing as fast as it is, it's rather a logical step for libraries to take. If there were just some sort of program that would make it affordable for the smaller libraries, that would be great.

Our little library has reading times on Tuesdays and Thursdays for the kids who aren't old enough to be in pre-school. A lot of young mothers also come in during the day and they can sit in bean bag chairs and read with their toddlers or play with the toys.

Gosh, I wish I were rich, I'd get a few nook colors with the enhanced childrens books for those young mothers to use while they are at the library. That would be nice.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!