Distinguished Correspondent
PBReilley
0 Kudos

Re: Not impressed...

we4lees wrote:

I'm with you. Who are these people who love this thing???

Website is full of problems & server issues. Touchpad doesn't go where I tell it to half the time. Books don't download properly, or at all. Navigation within books doesn't work properly.

Etc Etc Etc Etc

I tried to call customer support to complain and after holding for 45 minutes, I gave up. Then when I tried to email B&N to ask them about these issues, I got a response saying that if the FAQ didn't help me, I should call customer support!!!

I'm taking it back and telling B&N to shove it. What a bunch of hyped up junk.

I'll just wait for the next IPAD to come out.

I've had mine for 5 months and have had none of these "issues".  Aside from the Christmas day server overload, the rest sounds like user-related issues to me. 

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

I have have no problems not caused by user error in the 5 weeks i have had my nook. Over last two days the only delays I  experienced was accessing these boards.  I bought books on the 25th and 26th and they all came through in a blink.

Love my Nook, and thanks to B&N for enabling us to use our library's eBooks.  

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Contributor
we4lees
0 Kudos

To all of you out there who love this thing, I apologize for any offense.

But please don't assume that all of us who are having problems are doing because of user error or ignorance.

I write HTML for a living. I'm pretty tech savvy. My Nook is updated with 1.5. I have strong & fast wifi. I have read the FAQ, User Guide, etc - basically everything I can that can help me use this thing. I am aware of the server issues and not all of my problems with this device are due to that.

I'm still not crazy about it.

It may be the best ereader out there, but it's still not up to par and doesn't fulfill MY expectations. And I'm no nit picker. I just like things to work.

I'm going to be patient and see if I can work some bugs out after server speed is up to par. Maybe I will grow to love my Nook.

My issue with the server ... B&N knew how many units they had sold, yet they were still caught off guard. I don't find that frustrating as much as I find it pretty funny. It just proves that this is a new technology and will take a while for humans to catch up to it.

Again, many apologies! Didn't realize my small amount of venting would attract such, uh, passionate responses. :smileyhappy:

New User
Karey
0 Kudos

Hello users. I also got a WiFi nook for Xmas and I too am very unimpressed. It is VERY slow and I am still unable to register it. I have created the b&n account and put in my default credit card. I have accessed a wifi hot spot, and each time after about 5 minutes of waiting for it to complete registration, I get the error message to call the toll-free number --that is so inundated with calls probablly akin to mine, that I am involuntarily disconnected! I can't even wait on hold! It is so slow to turn on, it is slow to type in my email address, it is slow to connect. I had no idea that it was going to be so subpar to any other piece of technology out there. It's no so cheap that it shouldn't work at all, to read a book which is like a system file on a regular computer. bummer. I hope this update thing makes a difference, or I confess, I really won't use this item. It's cons so far outweigh its pros.

disappointed.

Inspired Correspondent
TrevorS
0 Kudos

we4lees wrote:

My issue with the server ... B&N knew how many units they had sold, yet they were still caught off guard. I don't find that frustrating as much as I find it pretty funny. It just proves that this is a new technology and will take a while for humans to catch up to it.

You're a better man than I. I've had my Nook for 6 months, I love the thing, and I was still pretty frustrated over the weekend trying to help my family members set up the Nook's that they'd gotten for Christmas.

I am accustomed to a more, er, robust service model with online services. I love the Nook, I like Barnes and Noble, but I wish to heaven that they'd hire some Google personnel, and pour just a little bit more money into their website/internet service.

Wordsmith
steffiebaby140

I have a thought....everyone who wants to complain about the Nook and refuses to acknowledge that the problem is not the normal user experience and so there is clearly something wrong that needs to be addressed....go buy a Kindle.  And when you discover that you have exactly the same problems because they are just normal problems from time to time with tech devices and servers and eletronics...well then you can enjoy having bought a device that has no expandable memory, no removable battery, and are locked into buying only from Amazon and no one else.

As for the memory issue, I have about 200 ebooks and still ahve almost 90% of my memory available.  And should it ever fill up, then I can simply load everything to an SD memory card and start all over...can't do that with a Kindle either.

In a perfect world the chicken would be able to cross the road without his intentions being questioned.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

@ we4lees,

No offense taken (by me anyway).  It is disappointing and frustrating when you get a new toy and can't use it.

I have a nook and an iPad and don't "love" either one.  They are both a means for me to do what I enjoy - read and carry enough "books" when I travel (which is frequently).

If you lurk on these boards, or check out older posts, you'll find a lot of "passionate responses" to posts. 

Not sure what your expectations in an ereader are, but have you checked out the MobileRead boards?  They have discussions on many different ereaders - maybe you'll find something more suited to you.

New User
Karey
0 Kudos

I feel exactly the same way, though I do not write code for a living. But I do have certain expectations of my technology. If it doesn't serve the purpose it is intended for, then it is not useful for that purpose. I didn't purchase it for emailing and websurfing, which I did not complain about. I wanted a device that could store "enough" books without the bulk. I can't use this device for that and that is what it is supopsed to be able to do. That is in no way "nit picking."

New User
Kaylynn55
0 Kudos

I researched a lot before I bought.  Have only had mine a few days but I love it.  Sure there are some features I need to figure out and just like my phone had to figure out how to tap here and there.  Downloading books is very easy and so are the other features, did have to look at the manual a few times.  I love my Nook and wouldn't trade it.

Correspondent
Jazola
0 Kudos

we4lees wrote:

To all of you out there who love this thing, I apologize for any offense.

But please don't assume that all of us who are having problems are doing because of user error or ignorance.

I write HTML for a living. I'm pretty tech savvy. My Nook is updated with 1.5. I have strong & fast wifi. I have read the FAQ, User Guide, etc - basically everything I can that can help me use this thing. I am aware of the server issues and not all of my problems with this device are due to that.

I'm still not crazy about it.

It may be the best ereader out there, but it's still not up to par and doesn't fulfill MY expectations. And I'm no nit picker. I just like things to work.

I'm going to be patient and see if I can work some bugs out after server speed is up to par. Maybe I will grow to love my Nook.

Again, many apologies! Didn't realize my small amount of venting would attract such, uh, passionate responses. :smileyhappy:

yes, it is the servers to a degree but the East coast has been hit by a massive snow storm and I believe this is adding to the situation.

Zola

Inspired Correspondent
emtgirlCV
0 Kudos

I love mine and I've had it since Christmas of 2009 ! My husband up graded mine to the Nook color and I'm still keeping my 3G as well, as I will still be my work horse and bring it everywhere with me :smileyhappy: so I can keep my new NC at home ( as the new NC only has an 8-10 hour battery life )

New User
Karey
0 Kudos

@Kaylynn55

Which one do you have? The nook color or nook WiFi+3G? I just have the WiFi version but in doing research myself I found that the WiFi+3G will use the WiFi first, so I am HOPING this is not the reson why my nook is so slow, because per that info., it shouldn't make a difference if I had the 3G if I am connected with an excellent WiFi signal. Anyone know?

Reader
Supergirl9801
0 Kudos

I don't see a 1.5 version available for the Nook Color???  Is that for the original Nook maybe?? 

Contributor
we4lees
0 Kudos

"I wish to heaven that they'd hire some Google personnel, and pour just a little bit more money into their website/internet service."

Amen to that.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

Supergirl9801 wrote:

I don't see a 1.5 version available for the Nook Color???  Is that for the original Nook maybe?? 

Firmware 1.5 is onlyfor the original nook - NOT the NookColor.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Correspondent
kivvie
0 Kudos

I think that many people have unrealistic expectations of an e-reader. I love my classic nook -- for reading books -- the exact purpose I bought it for. I find most people that are frustrated expect their nook to be more than an e-book.

My friend got a nookcolor for xmas and brought it over because he was frustrated. Took me about 10 minutes to show him how to use it, teach him ADE, demonstrate our local libraries website, etc. Yes, the B&N server was/is an issue for the last couple days, but once he saw how to work it, he now likes it (maybe not love).

I couldn't get an e gift card to update to my account for about 3 hours yesterday; however, that isn't my nook's issue -- it is a server issue.

Contributor
P_Mondor
0 Kudos

Supergirl9801 wrote:

Alot of these replies mix the color and the original Nook together.  1.5 is for the Original Nook.  The color is up to 1.1.  Hope this helps...

PM

Contributor
P_Mondor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

kivvie wrote:

I think that many people have unrealistic expectations of an e-reader. I love my classic nook -- for reading books -- the exact purpose I bought it for. I find most people that are frustrated expect their nook to be more than an e-book.

My friend got a nookcolor for xmas and brought it over because he was frustrated. Took me about 10 minutes to show him how to use it, teach him ADE, demonstrate our local libraries website, etc. Yes, the B&N server was/is an issue for the last couple days, but once he saw how to work it, he now likes it (maybe not love).

I couldn't get an e gift card to update to my account for about 3 hours yesterday; however, that isn't my nook's issue -- it is a server issue.

Agree with your reply.  B&N have said all along that the Nook is NOT a tablet PC...like the iPad.  It is simply and eReader with expanded functionality to enhance the eReading experience.  Reading many of the complaints questioning why this device doesn't do this or that this or that and comparing the Nook color to a full fledge Tablet device costing 2x as much really begs to question if B&N needs to spell out in greater detail the true purpose of this device.

PM

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

readerlarue wrote:

I'm having all kinds of trouble. How do download the ebooks I just bought, on the computer from Barnes and Noble, onto my nook?? Please help.

Read the Manual...it's in there.

---------
Don
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

we4lees wrote:

Yeah, this isn't working for me either. The only way I can get books onto my Nook is to get them from my Nook. I'd rather use the website since the browse on the Nook is more limited, but oh well. Hate this thing.

You're not making sense, the only way to get them on your nook is from your nook?

If you "shop" here under the same account (username/password) as you have the nook registered, and .... of course....buy an eBook here.   Next time you tell your nook to check for new content...it should show up on your nook.

There....that wasn't hard was it?

---------
Don