Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
MAD_NY
0 Kudos

Re: Not impressed...

Tweedledee wrote:

@MAD_NY

So many posts, same thing, same rant, same sorry song.......you need to examine your WIFI connection and determine if it really is not the ColorNook,  but your Router.  

As someone else suggested in another thread there is a possible ESTO issue here.

Then ask nicely - there are many here that would help you if you would tone it down and play nice.

My wireless works fine... there are other computers and wireless devices in the home that have no issue connecting.   The nook connects then disconnects then says "connected but no internet" ... then back to "obtaining IP..." then works for a few minutes and quits again.... it's the nook hardware... and that is straight from the mouth of the oh so kind BN tech support gentleman I spoke with today.   The device is first gen, it has it's bugs and after 2 calls to tech support plus seeing other folks here with the same issue, I am inclined to share my experiences with those who are feeling the same frustrations that I have experienced.   I am not ranting but yes, it is a sorry song.  I am a mother who was really hoping to have this great new toy to share some fun interactive stories with my children.  I work hard every day to take care of my family and this was one small treasure that could brighten up my days by simplifying my life in a lot of ways.   Do you have kids? Have you ever tried to pack for a family trip for a toddler and a newborn and then realized you barely have enough room for your necessities let alone a book or magazine that is going to weigh down your bag even more!?   

I am only sharing my own very honest experiences to let other disappointed nookcolor recipients know that they are not alone and some issues with the device just can't be magically solved.   

Wordsmith
Tweedledee

Then post once and with "nice" in mind - there are people here that most likely know more than those folks at the B&N Tech support.  They are here to help, and I suspect would not be inclined to do so with the tone of the message delivered and the multitude of same/same posts.

No children - not that inclined, by choice, just dogs, cats, horses, and assorted zoo, try packing that up to go on a road trip to a horse show in Canada....forget books - forget sanity, not even a nook would work in that scenario.

Your responses and tone are generating the frustration - posting in multiple threads the same thing, over & over again does not get help.  Strangely enough plenty of folks here have had routers that worked with their computers, ipads, ipods, etc...., but not with their ColorNook or Nook. 

There are tricks from what I have seen in these threads, and the folks who know these tricks will share them. 

If the unit is defective, then return it and get it replaced with a functional one.  Surprisingly B&N is really kinda good about that in my experience (actually stellar in my experience). 

Have them set it up for you in Store to make sure that it connects and stays connected with the WIFI in the store.  They are also really accommodating on that issue as well.

If you just want to be dissatisfied - well your choice, you do have choices. 

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
Bertrand Russell
New User
DigitalAbacus

I decided to give Nook one more shot. After having to tap out ‘S.O.S.’ on the unresponsive sleeping touch-screen, I thought to have a look at B&N’s free offerings, as committing to NookBooks at this stage seemed rather imprudent. Since searching for “free” resulted in 6,991 random hits, I attempted a different query: I looked for one of my favorite authors, R. A. Salvatore. Of the 60 hits, about 40 were by that author, which is to be expected in a typical search. What was annoying, however, were the twenty-two books were titled with nothing more than the words “Forgotten Realms”. Even the addition info provided refused to hint at an actual title (for those who might be wondering, Mr. Salvatore has never written a book called ‘Forgotten Realms’; and although many of his works in various series take place in said fictitious lands, those particular words do not appear in any work titles. It would be analogous to titling half of Samuel Langhorne Clemens works as “North America”).

The coup de grace for Nookie came yesterday while I was at Best Buy, and was able to try out the Kindle. Apart from being much lighter, vastly more responsive, and boasting a significantly longer battery life, I tried the same search for the pre-mentioned author… and every works was listed with an actual and correct title, demonstrating that Amazon seems to care somewhat about the services they offer.

To me, all of this leads to one singular conclusion: While the Kindle seems to be designed for the avid reader, the Nook seems to be designed for those who would like to appear to be an avid reader.

All apologies to all you Nookers, but I enjoy reading too much; I need a reader that offers me something special if I’m going to give up my physical-literature dependency… and Nooks’ performance and service just doesn’t measure up to it’s hype. 

Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

DigitalAbacus wrote:

All apologies to all you Nookers, but I enjoy reading too much; I need a reader that offers me something special if I’m going to give up my physical-literature dependency… and Nooks’ performance and service just doesn’t measure up to it’s hype. 

In your opinion.

I've enjoyed my Nook for 6 months with no problems.

By the way, forget about taking out public library books with your new Kindle.  Unless you're the type who likes to mess around with protected files (probably unlawfully).

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

we4lees wrote:

<snip>

I do want to say that things are working BETTER on my end. Not fantastic, but better. I hope everyone else is finally getting some results.

As I have said earlier in this thread, I have had mine (original/wi fi) since about beginning of December. I have had NO problems, until Christmas Day when I had some issues connecting and downloading. I *was* certainly frustrated. But in a matter of days I had already purchased books, downloaded free books from B&N and other sites, successfully downloaded library books, and thoroughly enjoyed my new toy. So much so that we bought them for two family members for Christmas. 

Some of the folks on here who are not pleased with their nook may just not like what the nook is. Ever. Some may have a defective device. It happens. Overall experience with CS seems to be pretty good. Understandably, this past several days have not been great. I would guess MOST having problems are just not understanding exactly how to make it work. 

I hope folks wait it out, figure out exactly what the issue is. I think most will likely end up enjoying your nook as much as most on this board do. 

LisaB

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

DigitalAbacus wrote:

<snip>

To me, all of this leads to one singular conclusion: While the Kindle seems to be designed for the avid reader, the Nook seems to be designed for those who would like to appear to be an avid reader.

Not sure how you come to this conclusion, since, for most here, we are downloading and reading just fine. I have always been an avid reader, but due to progressively worsening eyesight have found myself really not reading much in recent years. In the 3 weeks or so since I have had my nook I have read several library, B&N free and B&N purchased books. Being able to adjust the font has been wonderful. Down loading from several sources without  issue (except on Dec 25) Having to travel by air Sunday and Tuesday this week, I appreciated not having to tote multiple books in my bag. With ONE "book" along when I finished a book, I had another at my fingertips. 

So not sure what you would define as "avid". 

LisaB

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

DigitalAbacus wrote:

What was annoying, however, were the twenty-two books were titled with nothing more than the words “Forgotten Realms”. Even the addition info provided refused to hint at an actual title (for those who might be wondering, Mr. Salvatore has never written a book called ‘Forgotten Realms’; and although many of his works in various series take place in said fictitious lands, those particular words do not appear in any work titles. It would be analogous to titling half of Samuel Langhorne Clemens works as “North America”).

Forgotten Realms is a trademark. If you look at the cover of his books that take place in that setting they all include the logo for that trademark. Hence, Forgotten Realms: 'title'.

I had to try Shop from the nook to see for myself and you are right. There are a lot of books titled only Forgotten Realms listed in the nook's search results. The same holds for Star Trek books and I expect other serials of that nature. If you do the same search on the BN website you get the full title. Definitly a failure on BN's part.

For me being able to shop from the device was never a deal breaker. In 6 months I had never tried it before tonight. Purchases I made were done from my computer where I can read reviews by others.

If the kindle looks like it will suit your wants better, go kindle.

Frequent Contributor
MAD_NY
0 Kudos

Haleakala_LKB wrote:

I have had mine (original/wi fi) since about beginning of December. I have had NO problems, 

The issues that folks are referring to seem to be exclusively nookColor

New User
bb1BB
0 Kudos

I know exactly how you feel. I returned my nook color to the store today because it would not allow me to "unlock" the ebooks I transferred to it from the library webiste via ADE.  The nook color just kept popping up a screen that asked for credit card name/# (default credit card info.). I registered and deregistered it 4 times all with the same result.  After reading all theses discussions and problems some people are having I don't regret returning it. I only regret that I was not able to use the nook color as I thought I would. Unfortunately for me like others I was not able to overcome my issue!

Frequent Contributor
MAD_NY
0 Kudos

AndyfromVA wrote

The issue is nookColor not nook... if you've had yours for 6 months, you obviously don't have the color and as such can not speak to the issues the nC users are having.

Distinguished Correspondent
PBReilley
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

MAD_NY wrote:

AndyfromVA wrote

The issue is nookColor not nook... if you've had yours for 6 months, you obviously don't have the color and as such can not speak to the issues the nC users are having.

Then I guess this discussion needs to be in the NookCOLOR forum. This is the Nook General Discussion forum.   http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/bd-p/NOOKcolorGeneralDiscussion

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

MAD_NY wrote:

Haleakala_LKB wrote:

I have had mine (original/wi fi) since about beginning of December. I have had NO problems, 

The issues that folks are referring to seem to be exclusively nookColor

Here is the original note in this thread:

This Christmas… I was given a Nook.  After a couple days of mis-labeled perks and features, sluggish and clumsy interface, a near-useless store publications search feature, vague user’s manual and nookbooks that cost more than their real book counterparts, I’m on the verge of giving the thing back; even as a gift it’s not worth the price I paid for it.

Anyone have a Kindle that they would like to trade?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The OP said "nook" and wanted to trade for a Kindle. Kindle has nothing comparable to the Nook color, so not sure why anyone would think the thread started with NC issues... All pointed to original nook in this post. 

LisaB