Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Caesar753
0 Kudos

Re: Not impressed...

donc13 wrote:

If you "shop" here under the same account (username/password) as you have the nook registered, and .... of course....buy an eBook here.   Next time you tell your nook to check for new content...it should show up on your nook.

There....that wasn't hard was it?

The thing is that it DOESN'T SHOW UP.  Instead of actually checking for new content, all it says is "In progress".  FOREVER.  I've had my nook for three days now and have been unable to do ANYTHING at home.  It took me 24 hours to even get it REGISTERED.  I can't even UNREGISTER it at home because it just times out.

So there's no need to be sarcastic.  While yours may be working for you, there are plenty of other nooks out there that aren't working for their owners.  Server issue, whatever, doesn't really matter....If you can't use the thing to get and read books, then what's the point of even having it? 

I WANT to love my nook.  I looked forward to getting this thing for a long, long time.  Now that I have it, it's been nothing but problems.  I'm not stupid, nor are most of the other people who are experiencing problems, I bet.  It just ISN'T WORKING.  AT ALL.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Supergirl9801 wrote:

I don't see a 1.5 version available for the Nook Color???  Is that for the original Nook maybe?? 

This is the nook general discussion and, yes, the 1.5 version is for the nook, not the NookColor.

NookColor boards -

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/bd-p/NOOKcolorGeneralDiscussion

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/bd-p/NOOKcolortechnicalsupport

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

@ Caesar753,

Website has been overwhelmed for a few days, and may be the cause of many of the difficulties people are having.

Contributor
Caesar753
0 Kudos

Josienjoe wrote:

@ Caesar753,

Website has been overwhelmed for a few days, and may be the cause of many of the difficulties people are having.

Yeah, thanks, I figured that out based on the thousand or so posts here saying the exact same thing.  And also when I called tech support.

Frankly it still doesn't change the fact that I can't use my nook for anything except web browsing at this point.  Pretty frustrating.  I didn't get it to go on Facebook, I got it to read books, and I can't do that. 

Contributor
Podolly
0 Kudos

First I would like to say thankyou for saying that and I will say sorry if I got a little upset but it's one of the few devices I own I'm passionate about. *HUGS!*

Now for everyone else still commenting on what he said: He has made another post and should read because some are still responding to the first he wrote.

And yea I'm glad your not nit-picking :smileyvery-happy: but some others are >:smileysurprised: lol

Contributor
cl0verleaf
0 Kudos

I am not overly impressed either.  I did get my nook registered and was able to download a few of the free e-books, however, those seem to be nothing more than min i samples. 

I also downloaded the Adobe Digital Edition so I could access some of the other websites for free ebooks.  That downloaded ok (did NOT get it from the B&N site), and I tried downloading ebooks from other sites, but, alas, NOT a thing.    I printed off all the directions and went by those explicitly, and did no good. 

Does anyone have any suggestions??

Oh, and where do I get the update for the nook (not color). 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Caesar753 wrote:

Josienjoe wrote:

@ Caesar753,

Yeah, thanks, I figured that out based on the thousand or so posts here saying the exact same thing.  And also when I called tech support.

Frankly it still doesn't change the fact that I can't use my nook for anything except web browsing at this point.  Pretty frustrating.  I didn't get it to go on Facebook, I got it to read books, and I can't do that. 

No, it does pretty much stink.  Hope you're up and reading soon.

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

It's a shame so many of you hate your Christmas presents... I got my nook as an early birthday present nearly a month ago and couldn't be happier. 

Just like the ugly sweater you get from Grandma for Christmas, return it and get something you like. Be it real books or a kindle. I love my nook, feel it is all I wanted/expected and am happily reading away. Mainly library and less that $2 books so far. 

LisaB

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

I am not overly impressed either.  I did get my nook registered and was able to download a few of the free e-books, however, those seem to be nothing more than min i samples. 

I also downloaded the Adobe Digital Edition so I could access some of the other websites for free ebooks.  That downloaded ok (did NOT get it from the B&N site), and I tried downloading ebooks from other sites, but, alas, NOT a thing.    I printed off all the directions and went by those explicitly, and did no good. 

Does anyone have any suggestions??

Oh, and where do I get the update for the nook (not color). 

Ade is used for downloading library books like from overdrive.com. Books from other sites are dragged into your documents folder in nook drive as long as they are in the right format. 

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

AndyfromVA wrote:

I've owned mine for 6 months and I've had NONE of your problems.

Haven't you read the other posts?  The B&N site is bad now because of all the traffic.  It's not always like this, believe me.

99% of your problems would be solved if you did some research on how to use your Nook.  If you don't intend to take the time to learn how to use an ereader, none of them will satisfy you.

Apparently one of the network morning shows even had a blurb last week about howunusable Amazon and B&N sites would be on Christmas day.

LisaB

Contributor
cl0verleaf
0 Kudos

HELP!  How do I get the books into the Nook Drive?? 

Thanks

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

My computer.....Nook......documents......drag in,

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Contributor
cl0verleaf
0 Kudos

Thanks once again, I shall go now and try that!

Distinguished Correspondent
avid_reader1590
0 Kudos

I have had my Nook since Dec 23, 2009 and LOVE it!  I do have to admit that I had some problems at the beginning and it was a horror trying to get through to CS during that time; Remember the Nook was brand new technology then. I also know now that some of my problems were user error so I have lived and learned so to speak. I will also say that my cousin came for a visit from S.C. and brought her Kindle and during comparisons she was so jealous of my Nook. If you hang in there and take one problem at a time, try not to get too stressed waiting to speak to CS, and read your user Manuel you will find that this is one nifty little piece of heaven. 

Also, to those who are being so rude and sarcastic....Not cool. These boards are for open exchanges of ideas and people asking for help with problems.....not to be abused or made to feel stupid. Please think how you would feel when you reply to a poster. Everyone have a great New Year! 

It is better to stir up a question without deciding it, than to decide it without stirring it up. ~Joseph Joubert

Contributor
cl0verleaf
0 Kudos

OOOPs, sorry to be a bother, but I assume, the nook needs to be attached to pc with the USB when downloading?? 

Contributor
cl0verleaf
0 Kudos

I cannot find nook on my pc.  It is not in my documents.  What have I done wrong??

Inspired Correspondent
TrevorS
0 Kudos

cl0verleaf wrote:

OOOPs, sorry to be a bother, but I assume, the nook needs to be attached to pc with the USB when downloading?? 

When sideloading content from your computer that you did not get from Barnes and Noble, yes.

However, if you are purchasing books from Barnes and Noble using the Shop icon on your Nook, it should not need a wired connection.

Unless there's no wifi available, and you don't have the 3G model.

Inspired Correspondent
TrevorS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

cl0verleaf wrote:

I cannot find nook on my pc.  It is not in my documents.  What have I done wrong??

My Computer > Devices with Removable Storage

It should show up as a discrete drive... probably something between Drive: D and Drive: F, depending on your computer configuration.

Reader 2
annbow40
0 Kudos

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

cl0verleaf wrote:

It's not in My Documents, it's a separate drive just like plugging in a flash drive.  Look at My Computer or Computer, depending on the version of Windows and you should see a new drive and mine says Nook.

The Nook itself should show itself in USB Drive mode.

Make sure you eject properly.  Right mouse click the Nook drive and select eject from the menu options.  Don't use safely remove hardware from the system tray.  Once you eject, the Nook should go back to regular mode.  If the book you copied isn't there, tap check for new content.

Also re: ADE, you need ADE for library books and books from Kobo.  Sony you need Sony's reader software installed to buy books.  Other sites you can just drag n' drop to the Nook.

Servers, probably too much traffic, but also, someone said that B&N servers are in New Jersey.  Decal Girl put a Facebook post today that they couldn't get into the office.  Snow storms, power outages, etc are also going to have an affect on all this.  I haven't been able to upload pictures to Facebook for 2 days now, I have no idea why.