Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
cl0verleaf
0 Kudos

Re: Not impressed...

Thanks for the help.  Nook is only showing up as :J: device when I plug the USB cord and device in.  Without the device, all the other removeable devices require something to be plugged into the USB.

Obviously, I have done some wrong.  I am registered.  I DO have wifi, and that part is working fine. 

Any other suggestions??

Thanks.

Inspired Correspondent
TrevorS
0 Kudos

It doesn't sound like you've done anything wrong. Your Nook will (and should) only show up as a detachable drive on your computer when plugged into it directly.

When it is just sitting around the house talking to your wifi network, it's not going to show up on your computer.

Maybe I was unclear before, so here goes...

If you are shopping for books on B&N's website, through your Nook, you don't need to be plugged in. If you can press the "Shop" icon on your Nook and look up a book to buy, your internet/wifi connection is working, and you don't need to do anything else... the book will download over the wifi directly into your Nook. However, the B&N servers are pretty busy right now, so until the traffic dies down a bit or B&N adds some server hardware, you might get some hit-or-miss results.

If you are attempting to sideload ebooks from your computer to your Nook that you didn't buy from Barnes and Noble, you do need to plug in the USB cable, and just click and drag the books into the "My Documents" folder on your Nook drive.

There is no reason to attempt to sideload books that you bought from B&N, as they will just sync wirelessly. I'm not even sure it's possible to sideload them.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

TrevorS wrote:

There is no reason to attempt to sideload books that you bought from B&N, as they will just sync wirelessly. I'm not even sure it's possible to sideload them.

You absolutely can sideload them; some who have no wireless access do this regularly and some couples share books this way when they each have their own accounts.

See this post:  http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Technical-Support/Two-Nook-Household/m-p/520027#M9786

Inspired Correspondent
TrevorS
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

You absolutely can sideload them; some who have no wireless access do this regularly and some couples share books this way when they each have their own accounts.

See this post:  http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Technical-Support/Two-Nook-Household/m-p/520027#M9786

Interesting.

Good to know. You learn something every day. :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

Beware the infestation of trolls...

Someone who has a (any electronic) device for one day and fires off a "it's a piece of junk" posting (his/her first), simultaneously trashing any and all nook owners who dare to actually like the nook is not to be taken seriously.

save the bandwidh...

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Reader 2
kgmclean
0 Kudos

I have had my Nook for 6-7 months and have had very few issues.  Each time there was a problem it was related to the specific networks, I changed networks and it worked fine.  I gave my husband a Nook for Christmas, he set his up the day after.  It was a little slower process than normal.  However common sense should tell you that with all the Nooks that were probably given as gifts for Christmas, and with everyone setting them up and making purchases that it just might bog the system down a little.  Now with a little patience his is working fine.  So my advice would be to just calm down and try it again.

Contributor
cl0verleaf
0 Kudos

TrevorS,

Thank-you so much for your help.  I followed your directions, and, when trying to move the ebook, ADE opens with the book.  I am not able to just drag and drop it onto the nook. 

I am able to buy from B&N though.  No problem there. 

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

cl0verleaf wrote:

TrevorS,

I followed your directions, and, when trying to move the ebook, ADE opens with the book.  I am not able to just drag and drop it onto the nook.  

This is exactly what should happen.

ADE will open with the book.

Your NOOK will show up in the left hand column in ADE, below the shelves.

You want to drag the book directly to the picture of NOOK in ADE.

You should get a green plus sign if it's moving.  If it's a red cross, let go and try dragging again.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you?

Contributor
cl0verleaf
0 Kudos

Ya-Ya,

yes, I did as you said, but it does not download to my nook. 

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

Thank-you so much for your help.  I followed your directions, and, when trying to move the ebook, ADE opens with the book.  I am not able to just drag and drop it onto the nook. 

If you have any problems with ADE follow this post.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Technical-Support/Using-Adobe-Digital-Editions-ADE-Libra...

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Contributor
cl0verleaf
0 Kudos

Thanks again.  I did follow those instructions last night (printed them off).  My nook does show up there, and I am able to drag the book to the nook.  No problem there.  But, I still cannot get it on my nook after I disconnect USB cable!  It is not located anywhere on my nook, even when I check for new content. 

When cable connected, and I look at the nook drive, I can see it there though......????

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

Are you sure you are checking in document folder and not B&N library and while in documents checking for new content?

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Contributor
cl0verleaf
0 Kudos

I now have it in my document, but the message i receive is not able to open document.

Correspondent
bluedaze
0 Kudos

Just a note about the tech support issues- as someone mentioned earlier, it's the snow storm that has caused problems there.  B & N offices are in New York- Manhattan, I believe- which is apparently under a few feet of snow, so I heard they are operating with skeleton crews right now.  I've called tech support loads of times and never waited more than a minute or two.  But these are not normal circumstances.  It's horribly unfortunate that the huge snowstorm hit right at Christmas when everyone needed tech support the most, and of course everyone wants to use their shiny new NOOKs right away, but it is what it is.  I only hope that some of the people who are so upset will give it while for 'mother nature' to let up so the tech employees can return to work.  If you can do that, then you'll probably end up resolving all the issues you're having and understand why those of us who love our NOOKs, love them so much. I'd hate for frustration to lead to a hasty decision which would rob you of the opportunity to truly enjoy your own NOOK.  

New User
irishkm
0 Kudos

you are absolutely correct!!!

Contributor
we4lees
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

"Someone who has a (any electronic) device for one day and fires off a "it's a piece of junk" posting (his/her first), simultaneously trashing any and all nook owners who dare to actually like the nook is not to be taken seriously."

[Note: I actually typed a response to this person and posted it, but I'm back to remove it. I'm really too nice to let what I typed stay on the boards.]

I do want to say that things are working BETTER on my end. Not fantastic, but better. I hope everyone else is finally getting some results.

p.s. I'm not a troll. Just a girl who was really excited to receive a Nook for Christmas, and now is not so excited. But I'm hanging in there (so far) with this thing.

p.s.s. Before anyone else trashes me on this board, they need to read the ENTIRE first page and see my later post where I clarified a few things.

Frequent Contributor
MAD_NY
0 Kudos

I am a mother, wife, student, unemployed businesswoman, and semi-frequent traveler.  With all of that said, I had high hopes for the nookcolor.  It offered the ability to "pack" all of my books and magazines into my bag at under a pound and save some significant bulk that could be allotted to my children's necessities.   Unfortunately the nookcolor fell short, even with a software update, and the wireless works intermittently, at best.   There is no ability to use the Pandora feature because the internet never stays connected for more than 5 minutes.  There's no ability to shop for new titles on the device because the only way the device will stay connected is if you fix yourself on the floor of a B+N store and log into their unsecured network. You can't browse the web, listen to pandora, download new titles or do ANYTHING on the device that actually requires connectivity.  The device is awesome for things that don't require internet (like reading the magazine or kid's book once you have it on the device) but for an ereader with inconsistent connectivity, $250 is a very bloated pricetag!!

Did you download the software update?  I did but it didn't help... the device seems to need more than just software updates.   I'll be returning mine tomorrow and waiting for a wireless hardware update.  It's an awesome device in theory but it was poorly executed.

Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

MAD_NY  well I must say you sure are matching you Nick.  You have 7 post and six are all the same.  Thanks for the spam.    Right now there is no creditability in any of your post.

Frequent Contributor
MAD_NY
0 Kudos

Not spam, just responding to users experiencing the same issues kiddo.  Nice try ;-)

Wordsmith
Tweedledee
0 Kudos

@MAD_NY

So many posts, same thing, same rant, same sorry song.......you need to examine your WIFI connection and determine if it really is not the ColorNook,  but your Router.  

As someone else suggested in another thread there is a possible ESTO issue here.

Then ask nicely - there are many here that would help you if you would tone it down and play nice.

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
Bertrand Russell