Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
DigitalAbacus
0 Kudos

Not impressed...

This Christmas… I was given a Nook.  After a couple days of mis-labeled perks and features, sluggish and clumsy interface, a near-useless store publications search feature, vague user’s manual and nookbooks that cost more than their real book counterparts, I’m on the verge of giving the thing back; even as a gift it’s not worth the price I paid for it.

Anyone have a Kindle that they would like to trade?

Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

Re: Not impressed...

DigitalAbacus wrote:

This Christmas… I was given a Nook.  After a couple days of mis-labeled perks and features, sluggish and clumsy interface, a near-useless store publications search feature, vague user’s manual and nookbooks that cost more than their real book counterparts, I’m on the verge of giving the thing back; even as a gift it’s not worth the price I paid for it.

Anyone have a Kindle that they would like to trade?

Each to his own.  I've had mine for 6 months and I love it.

New User
readerlarue
0 Kudos

I'm having all kinds of trouble. How do download the ebooks I just bought, on the computer from Barnes and Noble, onto my nook?? Please help.

AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

readerlarue wrote:

I'm having all kinds of trouble. How do download the ebooks I just bought, on the computer from Barnes and Noble, onto my nook?? Please help.

Assuming you're properly registered with B&N, once you buy the book it should load automatically onto your Nook.  If you have the WiFi version touch the WiFi icon, make sure WiFi is enabled (airplane mode off) and you're on a WiFi network.  A few minutes after your book purchase, touch the My Library icon, and touch the Check for new B&N Content.  Your purchased books should be automatically loaded onto your Nook.

gabourele
0 Kudos

Once you activate your nook and register  if you don't have the 1.5 update it fixes a bunch of things.

Organization of books

Faster page turns

My friend has a nook and K3 and with the 1.5 update the speed is the same if you compare it so sorry if you feel its sluggish just get the update.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

This message has been moved to a more appropriate location. This helps to keep our boards organized.

New User
Eric1270
0 Kudos

I agree with the OP; I am not impressed at all with the nook.

For starters, the actual memory is only about 1.30GB.  Suggestion: don't advertise it as having 2GB if I can't use 2GB. Nearly half of the 2GB of memory is not usable to me; in reality, the end user has just over 1GB of memory.

Coould data input from the keyboard be any slower? Wow. When I type in letters or numbers, it takes nearly a second for the character to appear on the screen. At first, I was double and triple typing characters, because I thought they weren't being "seen."

Could menus move any slower? And could they possibly be less intuitive? Even the slide-scroll seems to be opposite of the way I want to inuitively scroll up or down.

Speaking of menus, they are often unresponsive. My touch screen will turn off, and according to the nook instructions, all I have to do is tap it to get it to return. Half the time that's true, but the rest of the time I have to use the button on the top. Even the little 'n' button doesn't wake it.

There's a bunch of other annoying quirks to the nook. Maybe I'd get used to them, and they wouldn't be issues, but they shouldn't exist to begin with. The speed is atrocious, regardless, and I could never get used to that.

After several hours of messing with this thing, I have a yearning for good ol' paper books. Or to try a kindle. The kindle could't really be as lame as a nook, could it?

Frequent Contributor
svsu

well then go to the kindle and tell us what you think about that thing

Frequent Contributor
bandman
0 Kudos

I'm not sure what the problem with your unit is. Perhaps it is the network you are on. I have not had any problems with mine. In fact, it is almost as fast as my desktop when it comes to information input. Not had any problems with downloading content either. Not saying you are missing anything, it is just weird that some people would have these problems when others don't. Go figure.

I absolutely love mine. Is yours the Nook or Nook Color? Maybe there is a difference there. Mine is the Nook Color. Sorry to see you are having such problems. I hope you can get them worked out.

Dan

gabourele
0 Kudos

Like i stated before. There was a 1.5 update given for nook you should look in your setting to see what version of nook software your running every customer who has had their nooks updated loves the new update and that whole kindle turns faster comment no longer holds merritt with the 1.5 nook update. secondly the space issue every device takes a certain amount nof space away from the pyshical for the hardware and software. I got an 8 GB ipod touch and it said I had 6. something gbs and not 8 same with my ipad its because they use that space for your updates etc for your device EVERY device does this even computers. The good thing about nook is they also gave you expandable memory in the back of your device to add a micro sd card.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Contributor
LaLa4363
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

For starters, the actual memory is only about 1.30GB.  Suggestion: don't advertise it as having 2GB if I can't use 2GB. Nearly half of the 2GB of memory is not usable to me; in reality, the end user has just over 1GB of memory.

This is the norm with any electronic device. The gigabytes that an item is adverised as will not be the actual storage you will receive. I have a 32 GB ipod touch.  Prior to downloading media to the ipod the storage was 28 GB or so. The software that is downloaded on any electronic device by the manufacturer will decrease the actual storage.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe

readerlarue wrote:

Have you looked at the user guide at all?

Inspired Correspondent
TrevorS

readerlarue wrote:

Don't stress too much.

Basically, from about 9 am PST on Christmas morning on, Barnes and Noble's servers have been a hot mess. I've had my Nook for about 6 months or so, and what is going on right now is definitely NOT the staus quo. Generally speaking, books you buy will sync effortlessly on your Nook all by themselves.

However, currently the small pack of hamsters that power the Nook server farm at Barnes and Noble's HQ is currently getting thoroughly abused by the large number of people who got a Nook for Christmas, it seems. I had several family members receive Nooks this year, and Barnes and Noble's website was absolutely unusable on Christmas day when I tried to set them up. Yesterday it became barely usable, as long as you weren't trying anything complex, like buying an ebook.

I finally managed to help my sister-in-law buy an ebook last night. This morning it seems to be working a little better.

Either the surge is dying down, or B&N added a few hamsters to the pack.

Keep the faith. A week from now, the experience should be orders of magnitude better.

Contributor
we4lees
0 Kudos

I'm with you. Who are these people who love this thing???

Website is full of problems & server issues. Touchpad doesn't go where I tell it to half the time. Books don't download properly, or at all. Navigation within books doesn't work properly.

Etc Etc Etc Etc

I tried to call customer support to complain and after holding for 45 minutes, I gave up. Then when I tried to email B&N to ask them about these issues, I got a response saying that if the FAQ didn't help me, I should call customer support!!!

I'm taking it back and telling B&N to shove it. What a bunch of hyped up junk.

I'll just wait for the next IPAD to come out.

Contributor
we4lees
0 Kudos

Yeah, this isn't working for me either. The only way I can get books onto my Nook is to get them from my Nook. I'd rather use the website since the browse on the Nook is more limited, but oh well. Hate this thing.

AndyfromVA

we4lees wrote:

Website is full of problems & server issues. Touchpad doesn't go where I tell it to half the time. Books don't download properly, or at all. Navigation within books doesn't work properly.

Etc Etc Etc Etc

I tried to call customer support to complain and after holding for 45 minutes, I gave up. Then when I tried to email B&N to ask them about these issues, I got a response saying that if the FAQ didn't help me, I should call customer support!!!

I've owned mine for 6 months and I've had NONE of your problems.

Haven't you read the other posts?  The B&N site is bad now because of all the traffic.  It's not always like this, believe me.

99% of your problems would be solved if you did some research on how to use your Nook.  If you don't intend to take the time to learn how to use an ereader, none of them will satisfy you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

we4lees wrote:

Etc Etc Etc Etc

I purchased my nook in February and it works as advertised.  

Having said that, the servers are a bit overwhelmed.  I couldn't download a book in my library yesterday, so I'm guessing it's because of the number of people playing with their new toy.  If you're not patient enough to let them get it sorted out, by all means, take it back.

Frequent Contributor
pomtroll
0 Kudos

I haven't had any trouble with mine till yesterday (Dec 26). I found on the Facebook nook discussion board that the poblem was with the server at B&N. I'll check when I get home to see if it is working again.

And Kindle has periodic problems too. No e-reader is perfect. I've had my Kindle freeze up twice  when ordering from one of their search sections..

Contributor
pamsies
0 Kudos

hhmmm. .  I've had mine for two days and am in absolute love with it!1 I agree that the menus are a little bit tricky as far as scrolling but you do get used to it ( or at least I did) I find the keyboard to be find and I like that there is a delay when I am typing and that they key that I am pressing actually highlights so that I know that I am hitting the right letter or number. I guess you just can't please some people

Contributor
Podolly

It's silly how I see questions on here about the simplest things when all you have to do is look at the sight and they tell you how to do it. The section is big as day for the FAQ.

Some of you here are just nic-pickers. I bet some of you haven't even updated your nook. Of course some of you also forget that your FIRST ADOPTERS!!! Meaning this will happen a little bit. That goes for any electronic device you use. If you first adopt then expect some stuff here and there or else wait.

I have a Nook and a Nook color and touched a Kindle.

I will tell you no device is perfect but the Nook and Nook color are the best out there now and it's competitor is the Kindle on follow up.

It's rude to ask for a Kindle on a B&N site... I mean really? Just spit in its face why don't you. If you so unhappy just don't post it here on their site and just go take it back. It's that simple.