Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
MariaTipps
0 Kudos

Note-taking on Nook

I have a N2E.  Can I take notes on all books that I download, or just on books purchased from Barnes & Noble?

New User
NTorres
0 Kudos

Re: Note-taking on Nook

You can take notes on all books but you can only share on facebook, etc on those that you buy from B & N

NTorres
Frequent Contributor
bilbravo
0 Kudos

Here is a warning/problem with the note taking.  (Perhaps there is a work-around and if so I'd love to hear it).

My wife recently read a few books for her class (she teachers 4th grade) and made annotations and highlights thinking she would then be able to export them somehow.  Instead she has spent the last 2 nights staring at her NC and typing the notes into the laptop.

It's a nice feature, but it depends on how you want to use it.

It also means my wife didn't read the manual about note taking!  :smileyhappy:

- Zach
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

bilbravo wrote:

Here is a warning/problem with the note taking.  (Perhaps there is a work-around and if so I'd love to hear it).

My wife recently read a few books for her class (she teachers 4th grade) and made annotations and highlights thinking she would then be able to export them somehow.  Instead she has spent the last 2 nights staring at her NC and typing the notes into the laptop.

It's a nice feature, but it depends on how you want to use it.

It also means my wife didn't read the manual about note taking!  :smileyhappy:

There seems to be a collective brain fart about this at B&N.  It should be obvious - if I take notes, it's because I'm using them for something, not just to make pretty words on the screen.  I should be able to export them to a .doc, .docx or .txt file, or even a .xls or .xlsx file.  I should be able to get them off the device, and I should be able to sync them with other B&N applications (hello, Nook Study, anyone?).  The notes functionality is crippled and borderline useless without this ability.  </soapbox>

Contributor
Mike0301
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:
...if I take notes, it's because I'm using them for something, not just to make pretty words on the screen.  I should be able to export them to a .doc, .docx or .txt file, or even a .xls or .xlsx file.  I should be able to get them off the device, and I should be able to sync them with other B&N applications (hello, Nook Study, anyone?).  The notes functionality is crippled and borderline useless without this ability.  </soapbox>

Yes.  But I think your comment "notes functionality is crippled and borderline " is far too generous.  The 'feature' is worthless. I would prefer a way to access these notes in the NOOK.  Again I posit that there is no adult in charge of upgrades for the NOOK. The upgrades come at unpredictable intervals, change logs are cryptic or non-existent (1.7) and NO input is invited from users.  Do the programmers even own a NOOK?  The shelf issue alone (shelves disappear when re-registering) is fertile ground for improvement. Anyone using calibre can attest that upgrades should not take a year to implement; Kovid turns 'em out much more frequently and THEY'RE USEFUL.  Maybe BN should hire Kovid to do their upgrades.  At least then the competency issue of the programmer would be settled. 

Inspired Correspondent
apetit
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Mike0301 wrote:

keriflur wrote:
...if I take notes, it's because I'm using them for something, not just to make pretty words on the screen.  I should be able to export them to a .doc, .docx or .txt file, or even a .xls or .xlsx file.  I should be able to get them off the device, and I should be able to sync them with other B&N applications (hello, Nook Study, anyone?).  The notes functionality is crippled and borderline useless without this ability.  </soapbox>

Yes.  But I think your comment "notes functionality is crippled and borderline " is far too generous.  The 'feature' is worthless. I would prefer a way to access these notes in the NOOK.  Again I posit that there is no adult in charge of upgrades for the NOOK. The upgrades come at unpredictable intervals, change logs are cryptic or non-existent (1.7) and NO input is invited from users.  Do the programmers even own a NOOK?  The shelf issue alone (shelves disappear when re-registering) is fertile ground for improvement. Anyone using calibre can attest that upgrades should not take a year to implement; Kovid turns 'em out much more frequently and THEY'RE USEFUL.  Maybe BN should hire Kovid to do their upgrades.  At least then the competency issue of the programmer would be settled. 

There is a vast difference between an individual developing a product and a company, or group, doing so.

An individual has only, really, him/herself to please when choosing the content or timing of a release.  This is never more the case when the software is given for free.  

A group or company generally has a set of leaders who determine the timing and content of releases.  What they choose is based on their determination of what will be most valuable for the company or group, not necessarially the product.  The work of several engineers is melded into the product and differences in implementation of features may preclude the inclusion of one or more features.

As far as demanding releases on a public schedule most companies will not release that information due to competitive considerations.  Nor will they typically prerelease the content to the public for the same reasons.  Smaller companies whose core business is readers will/may do a "better" job of servicing the product;  B&N's core business is not Nooks, it is, at this time, more targeted to physical products such as books.

Lastly, it is important to realize that most software is not released, it escapes. (The clutches of its writers who rarely deem it finished enough for release...)  I make these coments as someone who has well over 20 years in producing software used for just about every type of application you can think of.

Contributor
Mike0301
0 Kudos

If I understand your reply; in essence BN Inc. is unconcerned with product improvement based on feedback or complaints from the field.

I agree. 

Inspired Correspondent
apetit
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Mike0301 wrote:

If I understand your reply; in essence BN Inc. is unconcerned with product improvement based on feedback or complaints from the field.

I agree. 

Nope.  That's not what I meant to say.  

What I intended to get across was the the rate at which customer desires (complaint, feedback, etc.) enter a consumer product is not something that is going to be dictated by the customer.  Most likely a large portion of customer feedback will drive the development of a new product.  Based on my exerience with tech products, I would be surprised if it was not true that the N3E is under development and that the N4E is in marketing discussions already.  The comments feed marketing more than they feed product upgrades.