Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
MCA84

Now I'm happy!

After deciding to take the eReader plunge i bought the nook from BN.com recieved it the next day and promptly realized something was not right with one of the page turn buttons. three of the four buttons were smooth,quiet and effortless in their page turning but the lower right button was like pressing a cracked plastic binder or a metal clicker. it felt terrible, sounded terrible and was definitely not right. started to think i made a terrible mistake in buying the nook and not the kindle.

called customer service specifically tech support and they agreed something was wrong as all buttons should have the same action and most likely the button in question was not seated correctly. told to take it to my local B&N store and exchange it for a new one which i did.

Brought the new unit home and everything is fine. all buttons work beautifully. the finger swipe gesturing on the LCD screen is perfect, the 1.3 upgrade went flawlessly, could not be happier with my decision to go with the nook over the Kindle. love how crisp yet natural the eink text looks like on the display truly feels as if i'm reading a paperback. totally enamored with my nook.

Like i said: "now i'm happy."

Contributor
rowan_fire

Re: Now I'm happy!

[ Edited ]

Glad you're happy and your new nook is working as it should. Welcome to the forum; I'm pretty new myself. I love the nook and this forum. There are so many helpful ppl and lots of good info.

In case you don't already know about some good ebook sites, I thought I'd save you a little time. A few links to get you started:

Google Books   (link is set to go to the free Classics)

Gutenberg Project   (free)

ManyBooks   (free)

Fictionwise   (retail ebook site w/a few free)

Kobo   (retail ebook site)

AddALL   (ebook search)

Inkmesh   (ebook search)

nook-look   (free wallpapers/screensavers)

They are the good sites I saved from looking around this forum. (Can't sleep, so I thought I'd put them all together for you.)

I really hope you enjoy your nook =)

Frequent Contributor
crazyakchick
0 Kudos

i boycotted amazon several years ago, so the kindle was never an option for me.  my husband bought me the nook for my birthday in december, and i've been in love ever since.  i live 300 miles away from a bookstore, so it's just wonderful to be able to order and read books instantly, and my library just started offering ebooks, so i can even get them for free.

i honestly can't say enough good things about the nook and my experiences with it, so i'm excited to see other people as happy as i am with it.

happy reading!

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

Awesome!  I love mine too!  I got my NOOK in February and take it everywhere with me.  I just got my shipping notice for my M-Edge Executive cover and E-Luminator2 light--they're my Mothers Day gifts.  :smileyvery-happy:

Correspondent
Rasyr
0 Kudos

Baen Free Library -- another good source of free eBooks, and they do have them in nook readable format (at least the one I just checked did).

http://www.baen.com/library/

Tim Dugger
TANSTAAFL
gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Don't forget Sony e-books in case the 40% off sale on sony e-book gift cards comes back around!  ebook.sony.com

Right now, Fictionwise and E-reader have 30% off sales, but they don't always have the latest books.

Reader 2
MCA84
0 Kudos

Thanks and appreciate all the free eBooks site info as this forum has been quite helpful in making sure i got off to a good start with my nook.-MCA84

Frequent Contributor
jnicho
0 Kudos

And don't forget FeedBooks - thousands of public domain classics for free!

www.feedbooks.com

Correspondent
Heritage07
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

Awesome!  I love mine too!  I got my NOOK in February and take it everywhere with me.  I just got my shipping notice for my M-Edge Executive cover and E-Luminator2 light--they're my Mothers Day gifts.  :smileyvery-happy:

Nallia

I have had my Nook since January and last weekend I picked up an M-Edger cover and E-Lum 2 light. You are gonna absolutely love it. The light swivels and tucks along the spine when not in use. It lights the screen perfectly in a pitch dark room as well. The cover offers extra padding and great protection. May sure you get some AAA batteries so you are good to go and Happy Moms day!

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

Heritage07 wrote:

Nallia wrote:

Nallia

I have had my Nook since January and last weekend I picked up an M-Edger cover and E-Lum 2 light. You are gonna absolutely love it. The light swivels and tucks along the spine when not in use. It lights the screen perfectly in a pitch dark room as well. The cover offers extra padding and great protection. May sure you get some AAA batteries so you are good to go and Happy Moms day!

Aww, thanks!  I have tons of AAA batteries (and all other common sizes).  I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old and toys burn through them really fast!  LOL

I've been wanting to get the cover and light for months, so I'm really excited!

Contributor
Bullfam3
0 Kudos

OK, I'm new to this and my other posting got no hits (because of my boring title I guess), but you all seem pretty savvy.  I LOVE my new Nook but I'm disappointed in the eMagazine selection.  Anyone know of other sites that offer eMagazines compatible with the Nook?

Frequent Contributor
Dyrinn45
0 Kudos

as far as i know, unless you soft root your nook(voiding any warranty) you cannot subscribe to any newspaper or magazine that isnt offered by B&N. If you soft root you can actually get rss feeds and other things, as well as periodicals(iirc). I have not soft rooted because I watch msnbc for 4-5 hours a day so that is all the news i really need. And my nook does what i need it to do beyond that:smileyhappy:

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

You don't need to softroot your nook to subscribe to the hundreds of periodicals available through the free Calibre program.  You just need to hook your nook up to a computer to load them on.  

Contributor
wdw4mealso
0 Kudos

The same exact thing happened to my lower left button.  I went to the store and they couldn't find anything wrong.  I went home, and after another reading session, realized I just couldn't live with it. I went back, and ironically got the same person, and he just exchanged it.  The weird thing was, the Nook was fine for quite awhile, and it was like something either got in under the surface, or something broke loose.  I just hope it doesn't happen again.

Reader 2
MCA84
0 Kudos

i'll have to admit after a week with my replacement Nook again the lower right button is not quite as soft or quiet when activating as the other three page turn buttons but it is clearly better than my original Nook.  i can live with the button now but if it gets worse i will deal with it then.

i think B&N may have an inherent problem with their button hardware as i have notice other complaints on this forum and elswehere on the net about various button issues.  hopefully the next generation Nook will have better hardware design.

overall i have to say: the Nook has rejuvenated my love for reading books especially the classics which i am voraciously catching up on and is clearly one of the best and most satisfying electronic purchases i've made in a long time.

New User
QueenieFrancie
0 Kudos

Hi there!  I just bought myself a nook last night.  I was so excited to get it home and get it charged up and after about 2 hours I was searching for some Google books classic novels that I've always wanted to read.  Well, I downloaded "Uncle Tom's Cabin" and "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow." 

I must say, I am disappointed with them!  :smileysad:  Why are some of the characters running off the page and there is so much gibberish on way too many pages that it doesn't make for good reading.

Does anyone know if this is just a Google Books issue?  I don't want to clutter up the space on my new nook with this junk.  Is this because the books are free?  And, if these are scanned books then why are the characters all crazy? 

I'm very sad and annoyed!    >:~|

Help??

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,000
0 Kudos

QueenieFrancie wrote:

I must say, I am disappointed with them!  :smileysad:  Why are some of the characters running off the page and there is so much gibberish on way too many pages that it doesn't make for good reading.

Does anyone know if this is just a Google Books issue?

Probably. Google Books is notorious for the low quality of their conversions. They do a simple page scan, feed it through Optical Character Recognition software, and they're done. Nobody goes in to correct the inevitable mistakes that the OCR software makes.

Most folks seem to prefer getting their classics from FeedBooks because the quality is so much better. There's a link in my signature for e-book sources for the NOOK; the section on classics is toward the end.

B&N also sells better conversions of the classics, usually for a buck or two. I haven't looked at them, so I don't know how much better they are.

Reader 2
MCA84
0 Kudos

as the previous poster stated and as i found out the hardway the Google scans are not worth it as they are fraught with errors. i am now just buyin B&N classic versions for .99 cents which are far better in quality and one would have to say is a reasonable price.-MCA84

New User
QueenieFrancie
0 Kudos

Thank you very much! I appreciate the info... will not be using Google books again.

New User
QueenieFrancie
0 Kudos

thank you for the information. another life lesson on "you get what you pay for."  :smileyhappy: