Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
graham1298
0 Kudos

OK, It's Early 2011...Where's the NC App Store?

Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing

Re: OK, It's Early 2011...Where's the NC App Store?

um... coming soon.  There are 3 months in the first quarter of 2011. 

So.. um.. take a pill or something.

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!
Contributor
graham1298

[ Edited ]

Nice! Happy New Year to you too. Good luck with your upcoming children and young adult books.

Inspired Contributor
Triggerone
0 Kudos

Anxiously awaiting it as well.  I want to read my pdb files (from other sites owned by B&N) on my NookColor.  For the record, they work on the Nook Classic, so I can still read them, but really enjoy the NookColor!

And sure would like a couple of other game options (maybe different solitaire games)?

And maybe an easier video load as we've followed all the instructions on this site (and others) and have yet to have a successful movie or show on the NC.

Otherwise....love the NC!

Frequent Contributor
MrsSS
0 Kudos

Triggerone wrote:

Anxiously awaiting it as well.  I want to read my pdb files (from other sites owned by B&N) on my NookColor. 

+1  I have ~100 books in my fictionwise/ereader.com library, only three of which I can download in epub and read. The rest are PDB.

Frequent Contributor
roy257
0 Kudos

whats taking so long. about to hack it if they dont hurry up.

Contributor
graham1298
0 Kudos

I too am loving my NC.  Regarding your comment on videos, I found using a program called Handbrake has worked well for converting movies from DVD to play on my NC.  No luck with purchases through Apple though...I choose not to get involved in circumventing DRM protections with "special DRM removal" software, etc.  The DVDs however, once on your NC show up in the Gallery with whatever the first frame of the video happens to be.  My wife, daughter and I watched Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer on it while my wife was in the hospital just before Christmas.  :smileyhappy:  A nice diversion from what was an otherwise unpleasant time.

Inspired Contributor
Katie_798

roy257 wrote:

It's three days into 2011. And it may not come out for another month or two.

Let's see if you can create an app store less than two months, and then I willl be happy to hear you complain.

Scribe
frantastk

roy257 wrote:

Um, according to my calendar it's January 3rd. Three days into the new year. I never saw anywhere that the app store was promised as soon as the new year started. What I did read was that the app store was expected to open in the first quarter of 2011. We have 3 months till the first quarter ends. Not trying to be snarky or sarcastic, but might I suggest you relax and read a book? The app store will come when it's ready. At least wait till it's actually late to complain.

Fran

Wordsmith
jeanniepep

You have to be friggin kidding me with this. This is worse than the people who start flipping out at 12:01am on Fridays because the Free Friday book isn't available yet.

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51

Dontcha know? Nothing is too hard for the person who doesn't have to do it.

Now you know why developers never announce a release date until the date is known for certain.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13

Same place your common sense apparently is....not yet ready.

---------
Don
Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

I too am loving my NC.  Regarding your comment on videos, I found using a program called Handbrake has worked well for converting movies from DVD to play on my NC.  No luck with purchases through Apple though...I choose not to get involved in circumventing DRM protections with "special DRM removal" software, etc.  The DVDs however, once on your NC show up in the Gallery with whatever the first frame of the video happens to be.  My wife, daughter and I watched Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer on it while my wife was in the hospital just before Christmas.  :smileyhappy:  A nice diversion from what was an otherwise unpleasant time.

I just read on another thread that the poster buys mp4 s (?) videos from Amazon and they play on NC.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Frequent Contributor
roy257
0 Kudos

You geeks are right, so I'm just going to hack it.
Reader
reg504
0 Kudos

I converted a dvd on my computer and added it to my nook color without any problem.  It is in MP4 format and plays beautifully.  There is free software on the internet to convert dvd's to MP4 format. I used dvd decrypter and videora ipod converter.

Contributor
graham1298
0 Kudos

It is disappointing to me to see several users choosing to go negative with my post.  I suppose it's a symptom of a greater problem.  My post was quite simple...Nothing negative about it.  IT WAS A RHETORICAL STATEMENT!  To my detractors credit, I did not indicate I was being sarcastic, so that's my fault and I accept responsibility for it.  Just so we are clear, I don't need to take a pill, I know it was only January 2nd when I posted my statement, I know the there are three months in the first quater, I don't know anything about the people who complain about Free Fridays at 12:01am, No, I do not have to create my own app store because I am not an app developer (I'm a consumer) and I am well acquainted with release date announcements regarding software upgrades/revisions/fixes.  Finally, I DO have common sense and I choose not to use it to attack others needlessly!  I wish you all the best on your future endeavors.

For the kinder folks, thanks for your responses.  I truly enjoy this device and look forward to tons of reading and other uses of this device in 2011!

Reader 2
remims
0 Kudos

I use the free Calibre program. It organizes ebooks from several formats and sees the Nook Color when you hook it up to your computer via USB. All you have to do is "add" the books you want to Calibre, then select them and move them to the "device." Automatically converts the formats and sideloads 'em on to the Nook.

http://calibre-ebook.com/

Reader 2
remims
0 Kudos

Hey, I sympathize.

With so much interest in this upgrade, B&N would be practicing savvy customer service by simply stating they are close, ironing out the kinks, etc., and maybe giving us all a taste of what is to come, feature-wise.

New User
petrex
0 Kudos

Dude, I totally picked up on the sarcasm.  Too many haters with keyboards not spreading the love.  Harsh.

:smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13

graham1298 wrote:

It is disappointing to me to see several users choosing to go negative with my post.  I suppose it's a symptom of a greater problem.  My post was quite simple...Nothing negative about it.  IT WAS A RHETORICAL STATEMENT!  To my detractors credit, I did not indicate I was being sarcastic, so that's my fault and I accept responsibility for it.  Just so we are clear, I don't need to take a pill, I know it was only January 2nd when I posted my statement, I know the there are three months in the first quater, I don't know anything about the people who complain about Free Fridays at 12:01am, No, I do not have to create my own app store because I am not an app developer (I'm a consumer) and I am well acquainted with release date announcements regarding software upgrades/revisions/fixes.  Finally, I DO have common sense and I choose not to use it to attack others needlessly!  I wish you all the best on your future endeavors.

For the kinder folks, thanks for your responses.  I truly enjoy this device and look forward to tons of reading and other uses of this device in 2011!

Most/All of us don't know you at all.  And, unfortunately, there ARE people here would would ask that question seriously.   Not knowing you, there was no indication you were being serious or just playing.   A "hehehehehe" or smiley would have gone a long way

But to your credit....you explained yourself and I for one,...apologize for my common sense reply.

---------
Don