Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
KeithK
0 Kudos

OK, Just what did 1.6 actually upgrade.

Well by now that we have installed 1.6 what does it do?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Re: OK, Just what did 1.6 actually upgrade.

Nothing. "The device will continue to function as it has before with no visible change." (Except for microSD, apparently.)

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/N1E-1-6-Update/m-p/1062158

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr

It's the invisible changes that give one pause.

Inspired Contributor
MrBanballow
0 Kudos

Most people seem to notice no difference, while a small number have noticed the inability of their Nook to read from their SD Card.

Currently reading: The Complete Sherlock Holmes Vol 1, Grimm's Fairy Tales
Distinguished Wordsmith
spec

Out of all the android packages only Browser received some minor changes, perhaps just images or animation. If anybody notices the differences please report. Also nook user guide has been slightly updated to reflect 1.6 software version, some text was changed in Policies chapter. Whole system seems to be recompiled with no major changes, perhaps the microsd problem being in the kernel version that was used here.

Inspired Correspondent
ynot22
0 Kudos

I've asked this before and kept getting referred to that non-answer, (paraphrase) "You won't notice any changes."

Well, B&N created and downloaded 1.6 unannounced on us for some reason. But it appears ours is not to reason why.

It took a quite a while for it to download and then activiate. I'm still wondering what it was.

"We have downloaded something to your e-reader. We will tell you nothing about it, but don't worry. You won't notice any changes. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

***Without order there is chaos.
Without some degree of chaos there will be no change in the established order.
Sometimes change is necessary, but only if I say it is.***
Contributor
narret
0 Kudos

Oh I get it.  The 1.6 was sent to disable old Nooks so you will then need to buy a new Nook to read your documents. That's the upgrade.:robotmad:  

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

Despite acknowledging the problem with the 1.6 "upgrade", it is still available for download from B&N.  I understand that there can be problems with upgrades, what angers me is that they are installed automatically.  We end up hiding under a rock with WiFi off until the problem gets fixed.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

*lifts up edge of rock, waves in newbies* :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
graycyn
0 Kudos

Yeah, some upgrade. I'm lucky I read forums and heard about the problem before turning WiFi on. So my content on my 16GB card is safe and readable, thank goodness!

But essentially, my device is now not as useful as it was, since in order to keep my books readable and available, I can't turn on the WiFi. 

BN, fix this please! As a last update, instead of DISABLING our devices, it would've been nice to join our "My documents" and "BN libraries"! I believe those of us who bought your original devices asked for that feature first... but so far, only NC and N2E have gotten it.

Nook WiFi, Sony 950, 2 Sony 350s.
Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80

graycyn wrote:

Yeah, some upgrade. I'm lucky I read forums and heard about the problem before turning WiFi on. So my content on my 16GB card is safe and readable, thank goodness!

But essentially, my device is now not as useful as it was, since in order to keep my books readable and available, I can't turn on the WiFi. 

BN, fix this please! As a last update, instead of DISABLING our devices, it would've been nice to join our "My documents" and "BN libraries"! I believe those of us who bought your original devices asked for that feature first... but so far, only NC and N2E have gotten it.

Hey gray may I ask you something?  you said in another post you recently got a sony e-reader was that before or after this happened?  Plus do you like the sony reader?  I looked at it a bit few months ago  but decided to get NC instead.

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

graycyn wrote:

Yeah, something tells me our 1.6 wishlist won't ever happen for the N1E but instead will find its way into other devices :smileysad: