Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013

[OT, rumor] iPad e-books apps: toast?

Okay, this belongs over in the NOOK apps board, but nobody ever reads anything over there. :smileywink:

Jim Dovey — who says he used to be Apple Platforms Team Lead at Kobo — has blogged that the non-Apple e-book apps on the iPad will probably be history soon, leaving iPad users with just the iBookstore to deal with. At The Digital Reader, Nate "the Great" Hoffelder says he's gotten unofficial confirmation of what Dovey says.

Basically it comes down to this. Last October, Apple changed the rules for iPad apps, requiring that if an app works with content purchased outside of the app, it must also provide equivalent in-app purchasing. Sometime around the beginning of the year, Apple started enforcing that rule, and rejected the Sony app. Apple has given previously-approved apps (Kindle, NOOK, Kobo, etc.) until June 30th to submit new versions of their apps that conform to the new rules.

The first problem with adding in-app purchasing is that with in-app purchasing, Apple takes a 30% commission, and 30% is how much the bookseller gets on an Agency Model title, so the bookseller loses its entire income from that sale. For non-Agency titles, they're probably getting a whole lot less and they'll be paying Apple to let you have the title. The trick to getting around this is to somehow convince iPad users not to use in-app purchasing, and instead to do it outside the app. Yeah, we'll see how well that works, especially since Dovey says that Apple forbids mentioning that purchasing can also be done outside the app.

Er, no, we probably won't see how well that works. The second problem is that the in-app purchasing API only allows about 3000 items to be in the catalogue (unless the app was written by Apple). Which means that only 3000 e-book titles could be made available to iPad through the in-app purchasing, and that in turn means that only those 3000 e-book titles could be made available for the iPad via outside-the-app purchasing. Does anyone see any major e-bookstore choosing to limit their selection to 3000 titles? Does anyone see the publishers allowing the e-bookstores to choose which titles to make available to iPad users?

Hoffelder writes:

At this point everyone is resigned to the fact that Apple will pull the apps come June.  Amazon, B&N, and Kobo are stuck.

And yes, I have off the record confirmation that they’re going to let Apple pull the apps. What else can they do?

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Re: [OT, rumor] iPad e-books apps: toast?

What else can they do?

1) Make the app available for side-loading to the iPad (which requires to iPad to be jail-broken/rooted).

2) Add the in app purchase to jail-broken iPad app, and don't pay Apple anything, since it doesn't go through the iTunes store.

3) Sue Apple for anti-trust, This is a long shot, but no other computer manufacturers limits what you can put on your device like apple. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
MWorrell
0 Kudos

Bring on the Android tablets.

Just like Sony, who has shot themselves in the foot many times by trying to control the consumer's purchasing prerogatives, Apple will lose potential customers over this. Under no circumstances would I spend the money they are charging for an iPad and then be told how to buy my books.

Unreal. Why do certain people worship at Apple's feet? It eludes me.

Frequent Contributor
jermandpep
0 Kudos

Why shouldn't Apple try to steer iPad users to the iBookstore?

It isn't a unique or uncommon concept.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Aside from the 30% commission, I've also read several reports that app participants will be forbidden to offer the same item for a different price anywhere else, including on company websites.

And this is the position that has the antitrust people all up in arms. The articles say that Apple is basically telling them they cannot sell their product anywhere else, only through Apple. And this interrupts the concept of free enterprise.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

jermandpep wrote:

Apple is NOT steering customers to the iBookstore.

Apple is requiring that B&N, Amazon, et. al. share 30% of their revenue with Apple for the privilege of having their app on the iPad.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Small loss.

When the iPad came out and the Agency Model was forced upon a disgruntled world, it was my hypothesis that iPad owners would each buy one book to see how it works, and that would be about it.  The demographic that Jobs & Co aimed the device at is not a hardcore reading demographic, and the device itself combines the unpleasantness of reading off a glowing screen with the discomfort of supporting a slab that's just a little too heavy and a little to square to be convenient for reading for any length of time.

Apple's reported dissatisfaction with the Agency Model, and now this development, seem to support the hypothesis.

The upshot is that, as far as e-Books are concerned, iPad will more and more be an overweight, oversized, overpriced color Kindle.  Anyone wanting to read on the thing will only be able to buy eBooks from the manufacturer, as with Kindle.  Except that the IBook Store will never have the competitive pricing, selection and overall dedication to books that Amazon does.

It will end up being the kind of mediated online experience that only a fanboy or fangirl could love.  Which, for Jobs & Co, seems to be the point.  And for a consistent Apple hater like me,that is just fine:  the more tightly they enclose themselves in their walled garden, the less impact they can ultimately have on the wider market.  :smileyvery-happy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Frequent Contributor
jermandpep
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

jermandpep wrote:

Apple is NOT steering customers to the iBookstore.

Apple is requiring that B&N, Amazon, et. al. share 30% of their revenue with Apple for the privilege of having their app on the iPad.

Okay, poor choice of wording but at the end of the day I'm sure Apple hopes that B&N, Amazon, etc... pull their apps.  That would leave the iBookstore as the only e-reader app for the iPad.

I won't lie, I would be disappointed if they pulled the app and I had an iPad.  But I can understand why they would do it from a business standpoint.

If B&N offered apps from the competition on the Nook Color I think there would be an issue, but do you honestly see B&N putting a kindle app or the iBookstore when they open up the B&N app store?

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

No I don't see B&N offering a Kindle app for their eBook reader (and a number of people have already installed the kindle app on their NOOK Color).

However Apple is not selling the iPad as a dedicated eReader. They are selling it as a general purpose computing device.

How would you feel about Dell telling you what programs you could run on your computer?

Inspired Contributor
avalonpriestess
0 Kudos

Makes me glad I bought a Nook and not an Ipad. :smileyhappy:

Donna

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

avalonpriestess wrote:

Makes me glad I bought a Nook and not an Ipad. :smileyhappy:

Donna

Makes me glad too.  Also makes me glad that I have PC and not a Mac.  I would not be surprised that if they succeed with these tactics on the iPad they'll carry them over to the Mac.

Frequent Contributor
jermandpep

LarryOnLI wrote:

No I don't see B&N offering a Kindle app for their eBook reader (and a number of people have already installed the kindle app on their NOOK Color).

However Apple is not selling the iPad as a dedicated eReader. They are selling it as a general purpose computing device.

How would you feel about Dell telling you what programs you could run on your computer?

Those NC users that have installed a kindle app have violated the terms of their warranty and user agreements,  I don't know enough about iPad's but maybe they can be rooted as well if someone was so inclined.

But if I knew that Dell was going to restrict me to Dell approved programs before I purchased the computer then I wouldn't have a problem with their policy.  I wouldn't have a problem with it because I wouldn't buy a Dell, and if enough people didn't buy them then they would change their policy!

People have been complaining about Apples app approval process for years, so it shouldn't be a surprise to consumers.  If it is, then they should do more research before spending that kind of cash.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Maybe this will finally stop those awful comparisons between the iPad and Nook/Kindle... If there is less to read on the iPad people won't think of it as an e-reader.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

Now there's an App store in Snow Leopard and one reviewer raved about this "innovation".

Just a paid version of the free repositories that have been around in Linux for some time.

Some innovation!

Distinguished Wordsmith
MWorrell
0 Kudos

I don't buy anything made by Apple. Not because I dislike Apple... I just don't prefer their products, their prices or their procedures over the competition.

This is just one more thing telling me that, yet again, I need to skip an Apple product and buy a tablet made by someone who doesn't want to handcuff me to their logo.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

MWorrell wrote:

I don't buy anything made by Apple. Not because I dislike Apple... I just don't prefer their products, their prices or their procedures over the competition.

I used to be an Apple loyalist.  Their products are superior; the hardware is always (was always) top-notch, the software has always been intuitive - going back to the early 80s, and everything always "just works."  If it doesn't, they fix it and it rarely involves jumping through hoops.  I have an eleven-year-old emac on my desk, and still have an iPod 2G that works well.  (Our iPod first-generation just died.)  The emac didn't survive our recent move; it's doing the equivalent of a sad Mac, but I do intend to get it fixed if only because I don't have the hard drive backed up.  There are some wedding photos on it that I don't have anywhere else.

It's really hard to give all of that up.  I've never been that bothered that they vetted apps before they sold them - again, then you know they apps would "just work", but I have no respect for a company so full of themselves that they believe other retailers are willing to lose money for the privilege of selling on their platforms/devices.  That's where I draw the line.  I haven't bought an Apple product since 2003 - before iPhones and before iPods had apps. :smileywink:  Heck, my iPod isn't even color.  

I think I'm probably not going to buy any Apple products ever again...  (This may be the final straw pushing me to a Fascinate (Android) over an iPhone when we do our upgrades next month.)

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

I believe what Jim Dovey has to say.  I sure am proud to be a NOOKcolor owner and not have to fool with the competition.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

jermandpep wrote:

Those NC users that have installed a kindle app have violated the terms of their warranty and user agreements,  I don't know enough about iPad's but maybe they can be rooted as well if someone was so inclined.

But if I knew that Dell was going to restrict me to Dell approved programs before I purchased the computer then I wouldn't have a problem with their policy.  I wouldn't have a problem with it because I wouldn't buy a Dell, and if enough people didn't buy them then they would change their policy!

People have been complaining about Apples app approval process for years, so it shouldn't be a surprise to consumers.  If it is, then they should do more research before spending that kind of cash.

And what about the nillions who already own iPads?  Should they just be OK with this change?  What about iPhone owners who use these apps on their phones?  Both share the App Store, so it's no real stretch to think that this will be applied to the iPhone at some point as well.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree

[ Edited ]

Nallia wrote:

And what about the nillions who already own iPads?  Should they just be OK with this change?  What about iPhone owners who use these apps on their phones?  Both share the App Store, so it's no real stretch to think that this will be applied to the iPhone at some point as well.

Oh, c'mon!

They knew what they were signing up for when they decided to live behind the Apple Curtain.  Don't waste your pity on them!  :smileytongue:

*edit*  Is "nillions" an abbreviation for "millions of knuckleheads"?  I LOVE IT!!!  :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Frequent Contributor
jermandpep
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

Like I said, if I was an iPad user I would be disappointed.  

But I wouldn't just be disappointed, I would also contact Apple to ensure they were aware of my dissapointment.  Silence is compliance, and If enough customers complain I am sure Apple would take some notice and maybe rethink the policy.  They seem to be an image conscious company and I doubt they want to disown their customer base. 

Honestly though, how many iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch users are using the B&N or Kindle app and don't already have a Kindle or Nook?  If I was an exec at B&N or Amazon I would be thrilled if there were a lot, those are potential new customers!