Contributor
Angelique_Serenity
0 Kudos

Re: Oberon Cases

[ Edited ]

While the cases are remarkably beautiful - I agree you have to be careful of the button. I have the Wild Rose design case which comes with a button in the shape of a rose and the edges of it are actually very sharp. 

Beautiful and dangerous - yep, good case

Edit: In regards to the original poster - the covers do fold back but they won't be flush on themselves - there will be a bit of a bounce but that's never kept me from reading with the cover folded back in my hand or sitting on a flat surface.

They are beautiful covers, very sturdy, protective, and a work of art. I love mine.

Correspondent
growlingraven
0 Kudos

bch005 wrote:

My birthday was next month and I was thinking about asking for an Oberon case.  I was wondering about how easily it folds back for reading.  I watched the video on their site but it looks like there's a bit of a gap I guess you'd call it when he folds it back.  Like it doesn't fold flush in the back.  If you have one, what do you think and how well does it fold back?  Thanks!

I have the Celtic Hounds cover from Oberon. It's a fine piece of craftsmanship. It doesn't fold back quite flat, but close enough. If and when I get another eReader, I'll be getting another one. Get one, you won't be disappointed.

Frequent Contributor
debbi801
0 Kudos

I have the Maple Creek cover.  I've had it for 5 months now.  I actually ordered it before I bought my nook, so that it would be here waiting for it. :smileyhappy:  I have no problems folding the cover back behind the nook to read with one hand.  It's held up well in my purse, on the coffee table, etc. 

They did send extra bungees with with, but so far I haven't needed to replace anything.  I absolutely love it and would buy another in an instant.  The hardest part was deciding the design and color.

Although now I am really wanting a Lily Pulitzer case, too. :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
imno007
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Angelique_Serenity wrote:

While the cases are remarkably beautiful - I agree you have to be careful of the button. I have the Wild Rose design case which comes with a button in the shape of a rose and the edges of it are actually very sharp. 

Beautiful and dangerous - yep, good case

Edit: In regards to the original poster - the covers do fold back but they won't be flush on themselves - there will be a bit of a bounce but that's never kept me from reading with the cover folded back in my hand or sitting on a flat surface.

They are beautiful covers, very sturdy, protective, and a work of art. I love mine.

Well, either the buttons differ in sharpness from design to design or they've updated them since you got yours, because I can tell you for sure that the one on mine is NOT sharp at all. I actually just ran my thumb with a good deal of force along the edges of mine, to be sure I wasn't talking out of my arse, and all I got for my trouble for a light indentation that faded away after a few seconds. :smileywink:

Contributor
Angelique_Serenity
0 Kudos

Most of the buttons are a rounded rectangular shape with an image place on the shape. A couple of other buttons such as the ones found on the Da Vinci and Rose cases are more unique shapes - more angles and such.

...but admittedly - none of this is overly important in the quest for a case - at least it wasn't for me. I just wanted the pretty one.

Frequent Contributor
nekowafer
0 Kudos

I absolutely love my Oberon case. There is certainly added weight - it is real leather, after all - but it doesn't bother me in the least, even when holding for long periods of time. I put this thing in my purse all day every day (when I'm not reading that is) and haven't had any issues. What I love about it is that it will put up with a lot of abuse, and just look prettier because of the leather. I'm getting a travel case but that's because I'm rough on my purse.

It folds back just fine, and is very comfortable for me to hold. I've also had no problems with the pewter button scratching anything - but I just have the rounded square one, not the rose or anything. Here are some pics.

Frequent Contributor
Crawson1
0 Kudos

I love my Oberon cover.  The leather gets more flexible the more you use it.  I don't have any problems folding it behind.  I also like that the pocket on the inside cover gives me a place to slide my hand and hold it while it's folded back.

Contributor
MaverickNY
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nekowafer,

Great Pictures!  I got the other Celtic design (Celtic Hounds) in the deep forest green and absolutely love it!  It was so hard to decide on a design and your pics make me want to order another one.  

May I ask what light you have, and do you like it?  I've been using my old Itty Bitty Book Light (circa 1990-something) with some success, but am open to something new.  Thanks in advance!

I too love the Oberon case.  It's just lovely and very protective.  I carry mine to and from work in a business type shoulder tote without issue.  I throw it in my handbag on the weekends, but I do have my cell phone in a case as well so I don't worry about scratches.  The pewter button on mine is smooth, but it's substantial and very hard....I would not want it clanking against my phone's screen, so if you don't put your phone in a case, it could potentially be an issue.  I also have the Bella Library case for the summer months and just adore it too.  So many options to choose from...it's great!

Contributor
RowdysMom
0 Kudos

I waited a long time to finally decide to get an Oberon.  I fell in love with the Butterfly in red and I just got it this week!  It folds back fine and I read over on the Kindleboards that over time it will fold back flat.  The covers are just so luxurious, it's like reading an old leather bound book.  It fits in my purse just fine and I don't think it's too heavy.  They are soooo worth the money.  Here is my cover:

[IMG]http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af290/RowdysMom74/ButterflyOberon1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af290/RowdysMom74/ButterflyOberon2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af290/RowdysMom74/ButterflyOberon3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af290/RowdysMom74/ButterflyOberon4.jpg[/IMG]

Frequent Contributor
nekowafer
0 Kudos

Thank you, MaverickNY! I almost got the celtic hounds.. I love the celtic designs, and most of the other Oberon designs are too girly for me.

The light is a Great Point brand light. I got it for a couple bucks on ebay. It's not bad. The problem I've had is that the two points of light are almost too bright, and they reflect badly on the screen, making it slightly harder to read. If I angle it the right way, it's not a problem. And that's certainly better than paying $15 for a light from B&N - which might still have the same issue!

It also doesn't fit on the Oberon case perfectly. The clip is a bit wide and has to be fiddled with for a bit to find a good spot. These are things that don't really bother me, really. I would still have bought this one, had I know the problems before.

Correspondent
Alanakat
0 Kudos

RowdysMom wrote:

I waited a long time to finally decide to get an Oberon.  I fell in love with the Butterfly in red and I just got it this week!  It folds back fine and I read over on the Kindleboards that over time it will fold back flat.  The covers are just so luxurious, it's like reading an old leather bound book.  It fits in my purse just fine and I don't think it's too heavy.  They are soooo worth the money.  Here is my cover:

[IMG]http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af290/RowdysMom74/ButterflyOberon1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af290/RowdysMom74/ButterflyOberon2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af290/RowdysMom74/ButterflyOberon3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af290/RowdysMom74/ButterflyOberon4.jpg[/IMG]

Looking at your cover and nook makes me want one, but I also love your edward cullen wallpaper is it?  Man...I gotta look for me an edward Cullen one..

Distinguished Correspondent
MiniMischief
0 Kudos

I have the Da Vinci cover for Oberon and I love it.  I preordered it and got it the first week the company came back from their holiday break (I would love to work for them with a nice long holiday break!  Good for them- few companies do that!)

And I'm laughing because I actually DO have "a cover for my cover."  I never thought about the button scratching anything in my purse, but I was more concerned with a pen or something in my purse marking or scratching my Oberon cover.  I have a small neoprene netbook sleeve and my nook and its Oberon cover live in the sleeve when I'm not reading.  It just makes me feel like the nook and cover are safe because maybe I'm just a bit more clumsy that the rest of you all.  :smileywink:  I spilled soy sauce all over my Oberon cover a few months ago and I was horrified.  A damp cloth and a good rubbing cleaned it up beautifully, which was a huge surprise.  I figured it was ruined.

Someone said earlier they wished they were more in the $50 range, and that would be great, but for $75 it's certanly not bad for the craftsmanship.

And to answer the original poster, there is no problem whatsoever about folding the cover back.  The website used to say you could fold it all the way back, but they changed it and I don't see it on there anymore.  I fold it back often with no issue.

Life is too short to read bad books. . .
Frequent Contributor
LeilaniLK
0 Kudos

I had an Oberon (Forest in Fern) for my Kindle 2 and bought one when I traded up to the Nook (River Garden in Sky Blue).  I have always love how luxurious and protective they are.  I am a klutz so I have dropped them before and absolutely nothing happened.  What I have noticed with both of mine is that at first they don't really fold flush but after a little while they do.  When the cases get broken in a little they'll fold back more flushed.  And when the cases get worn in a little they look even better than when you first bought it.  They really do get that look of an old leather book.

Frequent Contributor
imno007
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

MiniMischief wrote:

...And to answer the original poster, there is no problem whatsoever about folding the cover back.  The website used to say you could fold it all the way back, but they changed it and I don't see it on there anymore.  I fold it back often with no issue.

They mention it in the video you can watch there.

Contributor
hrosvit
0 Kudos

I have the Celtic Dogs Oberon, and absolutely love it.  When I got my Nook, I laughed at people who bought fancy covers, and figured I'd get some industrial, minamalist cover for mine.  Then I saw the Celtic Dogs cover and was sucked in.  I had a hard time shelling out the $75, but have not regretted it for a moment.

It folds fine.  I read with mine both open and folded, depending on my mood or reading position.

I am, admittedly, of the male variety, so I cannot entirely understand the purse thing.  I do however have an iPod touch and an HTC Incredible, both of which have big, shiny screens that I wish to keep pristine.  That's why I bought an Invisible shield for each, and they now ride, unafraid, in my pockets, cheek to jowl with items such as keys, coins, and pocketknives.  The point is, I bought a cover to protect my Nook from getting some kind of road rash; shouldn't I do the same for all my other delicate devices?  If so, then they aren't in danger from the Oberon, are they?

"Fearlessly the idiot faced the crowd, smiling."
Distinguished Correspondent
salander_9277
0 Kudos

I've had my Nook and Oberon cover (dragonfly in blue) since February.  My cover is getting that nice patina and flexibility you get with quality leather.  It's not necessarily flush when folded back but I hold the fold inside my hand when I read so it actually fits like a folded back paperback IMO.

To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life. ~W. Somerset Maugham

http://greatexpectationsbookreview.blogspot.com
Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

I have the Roses design and bought it in Red.  I try to grow Roses and sometimes where I live that not so easy with the weather.  That's another story.  My problem with it is the Red is more pink and well I am male and it should me more Red.  I probably should have purchased the Black but it didn't look like the Roses were as prominent.  Its to bad that they don't offer a HD design. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Correspondent
CyborgQueen
0 Kudos

Wanted to add my two cents in Oberon cases.

To the OP - I recommend that you find a friend with one, and get a nice touch and feel for it. :-)  I, too, was concerned that it wouldn't be folded back, but it does nicely, and I expect that over time, the leather will start to get really flexible like it should be.  

I have the Da Vinci one because I wanted more "leather" exposure than design exposure, plus I really like the "old book" look to it.

For the others:

I do occasionally use a "cover" for my "covered nook", and what did I use?  The sleeve that the Nook was originally packaged in. The Oberon with the Nook fits in very nicely!!   I should snap a picture and show you what I mean.  I use that when I put my Nook with my supplies for school. Occasionally I forget to put away my charcoal, pencils, and throw in junk/shavings from pencils or whatever so it gets all over my stuff. So I rather keep my leather cover clean. :-) Works perfect, easy to slip in the Nook in the sleeve and it's pretty decorative too (with the colors inside).

Secondly - I'm surprised that a none of you mentioned this - know you get that charm with your Oberon cover? I put it on the bungee to make it easier to slip on and off the pewter button.  I think it was mentioned here a long time ago or somewhere else.   

I do secretly hope that B&N keeps the same dimensions or at least very close to it for future Nooks or eReaders so I can still keep my Oberon cover. It's like a leather seat or jacket...it takes years to get the leather just perfect to your usage.  

Frequent Contributor
imno007
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

CyborgQueen, I suspect no else is mentioning the charm because they didn't get one - at least that's the case with me. No charm here. :smileysad:

Contributor
Angelique_Serenity
0 Kudos

That's curious. I've recieved a charm with both of my Oberon orders (first my nook case and then a few months later some jewelry which by the way is beautiful and of exceptional quality).