Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
IAMJill
0 Kudos

Oh no they didn't... (Font)

I updated, and discovered that my beloved medium-sized font has been enlarged, and small is still small. B&N, did we have to sacrifice the font size or could we have added one more?

Why?

New User
-Mick

Re: Oh no they didn't... (Font)

[ Edited ]

I'm going nuts over this change.  I was absolutely happy with the medium font size before, and now I find it too big.  Perhaps B&N should provide an option to create a custom font size.  That way, any future font changes could be remedied by the user.

Frequent Contributor
bbbrooke
0 Kudos

I'm so relieved some one said something! I thought it was just me! I do NOT like the new medium font either... too big for me.

Inspired Contributor
Elfsshadow
0 Kudos

I'm not seeing a change.  Sure it's not what ever book you're reading atm?

Frequent Contributor
Gwynne
0 Kudos

I'll second that.  Even before the update, I've noticed from book to book that the font size changes regardless of the font size that I've got it set to.  Medium on one book might be significantly larger than medium on another book.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Definitely - font sizes are embedded in the e-book file.

I usually read on extra small, but some .epub books end up really tiny.  It depends on the book. And don't even get me started on .pdfs :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
JEJ29
0 Kudos

I haven't noticed anything different.  I notice changes book to book but not overall.

Inspired Contributor
wynand32
0 Kudos

I noticed this as well specifically be cause of the book I'm reading at the moment, The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. It's the ePub version from Overdrive, and the medium font prior to the update was way too small for easy reading, while the large font was too large. Once I updated, however, suddenly the medium font is the perfect size.

Frequent Contributor
violetangel
0 Kudos

Gwynne wrote:

I'll second that.  Even before the update, I've noticed from book to book that the font size changes regardless of the font size that I've got it set to.  Medium on one book might be significantly larger than medium on another book.

I definitely agree with this.  There have been some books whose "medium" font is the same as "small" in other books.  

‎"No need to hurry. No need to sparkle. No need to be anyone but oneself." -Virginia Woolf
Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
0 Kudos

I am also currently reading "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown which I bought from B&N.  I have not noticed any font-size issues after the update.

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

I'm happy with the medium font size,  before and now.  I can't say for sure if it's changed because it does vary by book.  What puzzles me is that I could swear I had 'extra large' before and I've heard people say this is new.   Was I dreaming it?

Linda

Correspondent
Heritage07
0 Kudos

No dream, there was an extra large before the update.

mykoffee wrote:

I'm happy with the medium font size,  before and now.  I can't say for sure if it's changed because it does vary by book.  What puzzles me is that I could swear I had 'extra large' before and I've heard people say this is new.   Was I dreaming it?

Linda

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

mykoffee wrote:

I could swear I had 'extra large' before and I've heard people say this is new.   Was I dreaming it?

No, you just knew how to scroll to find it. In 1.3, they reversed the order so that Extra Large is the first one and you have to scroll to find Extra Small.

Now there are going to be people who don't know that Extra Small exists. That's probably an improvement, though.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

mykoffee wrote:

I could swear I had 'extra large' before and I've heard people say this is new.   Was I dreaming it?

No, you just knew how to scroll to find it. In 1.3, they reversed the order so that Extra Large is the first one and you have to scroll to find Extra Small.

Now there are going to be people who don't know that Extra Small exists. That's probably an improvement, though.

It's a bit of a pain for those of us who usually use the Extra Small font.  :smileytongue:

Contributor
IAMJill
0 Kudos

No, I'm certain there was a change, because I was in the middle of a book when I updated and the font was unmistakeably larger. Unfortunately, the original medium size was perfect for me to read in bed in the somewhat dimmer light, so I downgraded to go back to it. And there was a noticeable difference when I downgraded. I've been reading only Karl Marlantes' "Matterhorn: A Novel of the Vietnam War" before and since, so the change certainly didn't come from changing novels.

New User
-Mick
0 Kudos

There's no need to defend our POV.  Either you mind the font changes or don't.

I'm going to move back to v1.2 as well.

Correspondent
kivvie
0 Kudos

I did notice a change in the font sizes, but to me it was for the better. I have vision issues -- one of the big reasons I bought a nook -- and this new update seems to make the Extra Large actually larger than I need, which means I can go to Large. I like knowing there is a bump "up" for when my eyes get worse.

Reader
Roketman
0 Kudos

I noticed it too.  The font was definitely larger in medium Amasis after the update.  I switched font to medium Helvetica Neue and it was about the same size as before the update.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Maybe this is why I haven't noticed it - I always use the Helvetica Neue font.  I usually prefer serif fonts when I'm reading, but for some reason the HN font seems much clearer on this screen, so I've pretty much stuck with it.  

Frequent Contributor
El_Viejo
0 Kudos

I can't say for certain, but it seems to me that the font size of "medium" in 1.2 became "large" in 1.3.  I just changed the font size to small and it now appears the same as medium was in 1.2.