Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
mferring
0 Kudos

Only use Nook 2 charger?

What do you folks think about the stated requirement that you must use the Nook 2 charger only? They also state do not use the Node 1 charger cable. My experience tells me that this is a standard microusb cable, and I would find it somewhat hard to believe that you can actually damage the Nook 2 by using a standard cable vs their proprietary one.

Now I suppose they could change the pins for power in their cord. But they would be leaving themselves open to all the people using any old microusb cable lying around and everyone damaging their Nooks. There are a lot of these cables these days as they are of course the new standard for cell phones.

My guess it is mostly both the old liability thing and to try and get you to use their charging system.

Thoughts?

Inspired Contributor
Plucknbach
0 Kudos

Re: Only use Nook 2 charger?

Hello, 

I don't think they meant the USB connection and pins on the Nook's end.  It must have something to do with the AC adapter's voltage and amp output.  The connection may be the same as some cellphone connections but if you look at the specs on the AC adapter for the cellphones you will notice a difference in output. 

Now if you find one with exact same output as the nook's charger and the micro usb fits on the nook's end, then, by all means, you can use that one also. 

Just make sure that the output is the same or you may fry your nook. 

Good Reading,

Carl

Famous Last Words: "Hold my beer, and Watch this..."
Correspondent
sharno22
0 Kudos

Mferring,

Could you please tell me where you read this? I was out of town when the whole N2e message came out so I'm behind on the boards and confused.

Does this apply to the car charger also?

Correspondent
sharno22
0 Kudos

I found finally had a chance to sit down and read the manual.  Now I know what everyone is talking about!

Inspired Correspondent
Viktornka
0 Kudos

My husband accidentally used my NookColor charger on his Kindle, and fried it.  So I'm terrified that I'll do the same with my N2E.

I'm going to hide my NookColor charger from myself (and my husband) to protect my new N2E. 

From what I understand, if I use the N2E charger on my NC, there will be no problems, other than a longer charging time.  Is that correct?

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

I have a surge protector with two usb slots and I use that to charge all my devices.  I've never had a problem.

Is the N2E somehow different?  I'm getting a bit paranoid now that I'll forget to use the correct charger and fry my new nook...

Inspired Contributor
psucutie
0 Kudos

Thanks for the tip, didnt read that and used my N1E charger

Correspondent
chefclaire
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It appears to me that the N1E and N2E chargers are interchangeable per the product decriptions on this site:

Power Kit in Carbon for NOOK 2nd Edition  

Under the product description, the 2nd bullet point states "suitable for NOOK Wi-Fi, NOOK 3G+Wi-Fi, and NOOK 2nd Edition.

So, I think it should be fine.  It appears the car charger kit works for all 3, but has 2 separate cords- one for NC and one for N1E and N2E. Therefore, it seems to me that N1E and N2E use the same charger (the color varies for which is included with the NOOK), and the NC use a slightly different charger.

***note- sorry for the formatting- the images and links didn't end up where I wanted them. Hopefully you get the picture.....

Contributor
Patncat
0 Kudos

The Nook2E charger tip is slightly shorter than the NC charger tip. I thought they wold be interchangeable but when I held them side by side the NC2E is shorter
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

The Nook 2 charger is the exact same charger as the original Nook except it's black.  

►Without order there is chaos◄
Correspondent
sharno22
0 Kudos

For anyone using the original charger with the N2E be careful! It says in the manual I found on this site that the chargers are NOT interchangeable.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

sharno22 wrote:

For anyone using the original charger with the N2E be careful! It says in the manual I found on this site that the chargers are NOT interchangeable.

Where EXACTLY did you read this??  As you can see from @chefclaire post above from the B&N store, B&N themselves say that the N2E and N1E charges/cords are interchangeable.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Frequent Contributor
Loyd
0 Kudos

It's on page 14 of the nook User Guide:

CAUTION: Only use the Barnes and Noble power adapter ad custom mircroUSB cablesupplied with your NOOK. Other power adapters might damage your NOOK and its battery. Do not use a power adapter and cable intended for other models of NOON eReader. Use only a NOOK power adapter and cable.

New User
Bryan021
0 Kudos

I read this also, but basic electronics tells us it shouldn't make a difference (scare tactic to sell their charges/cables).

We have a Griffin dual USB charging block (2x 5.2vdc @ 500mA) that we use to charge iPod, iPhones, GPS, Sansa-Clip, digital camera's, Nook1E, etc... not a problem with any of them.

However, I just plugged my new Nook2E into it, and it shows as being on external power (green light), but does not show as charging (yellow light)... I was reading at the time.

Swapped it to the OEM supplied Nook charger and it showed as charging, even though it was at 96%.

This I put down to the lower amperage supply and the usage draw leaving no overhead to effect charge.

I'll try again when it is at a low charge state, and see if it works then.

Inspired Correspondent
Viktornka
0 Kudos

I'm fairly certain that you should NOT use a NookColor charger with any other kind of e-reader.  It charges faster and is likely to fry your Nook 2.

New User
Bryan021

These "chargers" aren't really chargers, but USB power supplies.

The charging circuitry is in the Nook along with the battery.

Can you charge a NC from your laptop USB port?... then I guess a NC power requirement falls in line with the USB standard... this also proves that the block is a power supply and not a charger.

The mA rating on a power supply is the amount of current draw it can sustain... if the device is not drawing that amount, then it's not drawing that amount.... if the device draws more than that amount, the voltage will drop off, and the power supply will stand to be damaged, not the device.

Now the voltage is a different story... if the power supply is a higher voltage, it will provide that to the device and cook components if they're not rated to handle it... it is worth noting that at a higher voltage, the mA draw will be less.

A given device will draw a certain wattage... watts are amps x volts, hence the higher the voltage the lower the amps drawn.

Quote from USB Spec's;

The USB 1.x and 2.0 specifications provide a 5V supply on a single wire from which connected USB devices may draw power. The specification provides for no more than 5.25V and no less than 4.75V (5V±5%) between the positive and negative bus power lines.

For USB 2.0 the voltage supplied by low-powered hub ports is 4.4–5.25V.

A unit load is defined as 100mA in USB 2.0, and was raised to 150mA in USB 3.0.

Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

I have charged my N2E with the "charger" that came along with N1E.  I have not experienced any problems in the speed.  I charge my unit at night, while I sleep, therefore, I am not aware if the recharging of the battery process goes any faster or not. 

I used once my Verizon's Blackberry micro USB charger to recharge my N1E, without experiencing any problems either. 

It's all a mystery to me.

Lector GS
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

If you look at the specs of the Nook 1 charger and the Nook 2 charger they are exactly the same.  The only difference is the color of the charger itself.  It's a pretty standard charger although the voltage is a bit lighter than normal I think...

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

Loyd wrote:

CAUTION: Only use the Barnes and Noble power adapter ad custom mircroUSB cablesupplied with your NOOK. Other power adapters might damage your NOOK and its battery. Do not use a power adapter and cable intended for other models of NOON eReader. Use only a NOOK power adapter and cable.

As others have said, the power adaptor for t he N2E does show that it is compatable with the N1E and I think it;s safe to say that soon this will be the only adaptor available for replacement on the N1E.

The warning from the manual, as you quoted" just says don't use anything that isn't NOOK branded.  For example, a Radio Shack Works-With-Anything type cable. That's a pretty standard disclaimer with any electronic device manual.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

Schwa wrote:

Loyd wrote:

As others have said, the power adaptor for t he N2E does show that it is compatable with the N1E and I think it;s safe to say that soon this will be the only adaptor available for replacement on the N1E.

The warning from the manual, as you quoted" just says don't use anything that isn't NOOK branded.  For example, a Radio Shack Works-With-Anything type cable. That's a pretty standard disclaimer with any electronic device manual.

While I would have no problem using my N1E charger with my N2E and vice versa, I would not use my NC charger on my N1E or N2E under any circumstances.