Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree

Re: Open letter to the B&N Admins

mpebbs wrote:

Does anyone else miss the open antagonism between Michaelv and icebike?

Oh, God, yes!  I miss the both.  :smileyvery-happy:

Pity that the "Etiquette" gang never had the opportunity to go toe-to-toe with icebike; we could have sold tickets!

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Frequent Contributor
LoseTheRadiosMa

Great letter Nalia. If it's any consolation, it's not just here on the boards. The nook Facebook page has had its problems with the admins as well.

People were blocked last week without any explanation given. When others complained, they too were blocked. Others left on their own because they, too, felt unwelcomed by the new adminstrators. Ironically, the majority of those who were blocked or left were there from the beginning of the nook community on Facebook. Almost an "out with the old, in with the new" mentality.  

Those who were blocked were the most active and knowledgable in the community. The wall is now a shell of what it was, overrun with authors hawking their books and intelligent posts such as 'I just got my NOOKcolor and it's great'. Prior to that, the community was much like this one -

a group of people willing to help others and were friendly with each other as well.

Since I think your admins are the same as the nook admins, I'm guessing I'm going to be banned for speaking out - again. Either that or this will be deleted. Because that's how the current admins work. Speak out against them and you get blocked

Sorry to hijack your thread. Maybe if it's here as well, someone will take notice about what's going on. If Barnes & Noble wants to project the image that some people are no longer welcome in their communities, then have the courtesy of sending them a PM. If not, then management needs to do something about their adminstrators because that's exactly the image they project.

~Ma  

ABthree
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

LoseTheRadiosMa wrote:

Sorry to hijack your thread. Maybe if it's here as well, someone will take notice about what's going on. If Barnes & Noble wants to project the image that some people are no longer welcome in their communities, then have the courtesy of sending them a PM. If not, then management needs to do something about their adminstrators because that's exactly the image they project.

~Ma  

You didn't hijack it -- you reversed a hijacking.  Bravo/a!

The Administration of these Boards used to be great, and helped a lot of people.  I think that the events of today force us to the conclusion that we've been avoiding for over two months:  that B&N doesn't want that kind of impartial, helpful Administration, that the  kind of Administration that we're seeing today, that helps no one, that lashes out on demand from the individuals who whine the loudest, that sees and calls the "Etiquette" thread a model for emulation, is what B&N really intends.

The conclusions that derive from that are quite sobering.  :smileyindifferent:

-- St. Basil the Great+
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

LoseTheRadiosMa wrote:

Great letter Nalia. If it's any consolation, it's not just here on the boards. The nook Facebook page has had its problems with the admins as well.

People were blocked last week without any explanation given. When others complained, they too were blocked. Others left on their own because they, too, felt unwelcomed by the new adminstrators. Ironically, the majority of those who were blocked or left were there from the beginning of the nook community on Facebook. Almost an "out with the old, in with the new" mentality.  

Those who were blocked were the most active and knowledgable in the community. The wall is now a shell of what it was, overrun with authors hawking their books and intelligent posts such as 'I just got my NOOKcolor and it's great'. Prior to that, the community was much like this one -

a group of people willing to help others and were friendly with each other as well.

Since I think your admins are the same as the nook admins, I'm guessing I'm going to be banned for speaking out - again. Either that or this will be deleted. Because that's how the current admins work. Speak out against them and you get blocked

~Ma  

Thank you for your thoughts.  I never posted there because I have enough to keep up with over here, but I am sorry that you had to go through that on the FB page.

Inspired Correspondent
Lizah

[ Edited ]

I can say that what LoseTheRadiosMa is true. I saw it all unfold on the nook facebook page. You know it is bad when over 400 people leave the "official" nook facebook page and form their own page on facebook. It is sad really. Barnes has a great product that is better than what is being offered by other ereaders but if they continue down this road, I am not sure what will happen. It isn't enough to have a great product, you must also have a sense of connection and community with customers and B&N seems to be loosing sight of that. I hope something changes for the better soon.

ABthree
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@mslizah

That's brilliant!

I'm not quite ready to abandon these boards yet (although I'll be drastically reducing my activity) -- mainly because of the truehearts still trying to make a contribution here -- but I never thought of an alternative board.  We could refugee as a group over to Mobilereads, if things get bad enough. 

A hopeful idea to file away for emergency use.  :smileyvery-happy:

-- St. Basil the Great+
Distinguished Correspondent
mpebbs

Where, oh where have all the zombie horses gone?:smileysad: I miss the good old days when we could all go off the deep end without being edited!

Frequent Contributor
LoseTheRadiosMa

Careful .. I think missing "the good old days" and saying so is what got me blocked on the nook FB page. Dissenting opinions are as unwelcome as the original members. :womansad:

Nallia
0 Kudos

mpebbs wrote:

Where, oh where have all the zombie horses gone?:smileysad: I miss the good old days when we could all go off the deep end without being edited!

You just scared the (you pick the appropriate noun) out of me!  I had to click on the link in my signature to make sure the masterpiece was still there! 

Nallia
0 Kudos

LoseTheRadiosMa wrote:

Careful .. I think missing "the good old days" and saying so is what got me blocked on the nook FB page. Dissenting opinions are as unwelcome as the original members. :womansad:

Well, come stay with us and be our friend.  :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
LoseTheRadiosMa
0 Kudos

oh and I just want to say 'thanks' to you all here. I don't post much, but this has always been my "go to" place when I needed help with my nook. Your knowlege is some of the knowlege I was passing on to the newbs on the FB wall. Giving proper credit as well :smileyhappy:

PBReilley

ABthree wrote:

The Administration of these Boards used to be great, and helped a lot of people.  I think that the events of today force us to the conclusion that we've been avoiding for over two months:  that B&N doesn't want that kind of impartial, helpful Administration, that the  kind of Administration that we're seeing today, that helps no one, that lashes out on demand from the individuals who whine the loudest, that sees and calls the "Etiquette" thread a model for emulation, is what B&N really intends.

The conclusions that derive from that are quite sobering.  :smileyindifferent:

Yes, and it boggles the mind - since the veterans on this board have, too many times to count, pulled B&N's [insert portion of anatomy] out of the fire. During the post-holiday, post-NC release, it was the board veterans who counseled the masses who couldn't get their Nooks to work (for whatever reason, real or imagined), who gave freely of their time and knowledge, who urged patience and reasons to stick with the NOOK (thus potentially saving those "new" customers for B&N), and who stayed with those new customers when B&N's customer service was overwhelmed. 

mpebbs
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

mpebbs wrote:

You just scared the (you pick the appropriate noun) out of me!  I had to click on the link in my signature to make sure the masterpiece was still there! 

Oops, sorry did not mean to scare you! I just do not understand how we fell so far so fast!

ABthree

Nallia wrote:

Oooooooooh, no they don't!  They might be willing to delete the rest of us, but even this crew wouldn't dare delete Doug:smileymad:

-- St. Basil the Great+
Wordsmith
ProfReader

If the admins wanted to truly be helpfull they would consolidate the numerous threads asking the same questions over and over. Also they would remind new comers that real netiquette requires that a poster spend a little bit of time researching whether a post has already been made. 

PBReilley
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

Whoa. I never thought of that. I just copied the masterpiece to text, just in case.....

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone

[ Edited ]

Just to add my voice of dissent to this thread.

The last straw for me was the Admin posting in the thread that initiated this circus while ignoring its content;

"That said, we too are impressed with how this conversation thread has worked through tension towards thoughtful, respectful discussion.  Thank you! "

The only interpretation I could make of this is;
"We have chosen sides and it's not you."

Heck I didn't even choose a side. In fact I agreed the boards were becoming a little too confrontational. I did not however attribute this to board members but to the lack of an active Administration on this board.

After Christmas the only reward you received for trying to help new owners was either no response or to have heaps of abuse poured on you. Now you apparently can't even swap friendly barbs with others without fear of censure.

The irony of this is they are punishing their staunchest supporters. Given the poor quality control on their product and the hard line they are taking on just out of warranty failures, this is lunacy.

AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

gstone wrote:

Just to add my voice of dissent to this thread.

The last straw for me was the Admin posting in the thread that initiated this circus while ignoring its content;

"That said, we too are impressed with how this conversation thread has worked through tension towards thoughtful, respectful discussion.  Thank you! "

The only interpretation I could make of this is;
"We have chosen sides and it's not you."

How true.  Repeated accusations of arrogance and incivility are not thoughtful and respectful in my book.

But as has been said, this is B&N's board so they have the last word.

Wordsmith
Sardonicus

Is it dog food yet?

[ Edited ]

In another thread - - - Someone mentioned, days ago, our [human] tendency to flog the aged nag well past its entrance to equine eternity.

I knowingly risk being guilty of same as I make these comments/observations.:smileyhappy:

Is this the same message board that, just a few short weeks/months ago, displayed numerous posts that spoke longingly of moderators and the magical remedies they'd apply to the "chaos"? Well, here they are.:smileyindifferent:

Maybe some weren't careful of what they asked for.:smileyhappy:

Our reaction to yesterday's deletions reminds me of the time-worn scenario of the guy who gets pulled over for speeding and grumbles about how the officer "should be out chasing real criminals". Days later, the same guy is a burglary victim and wonders aloud why there's "never a cop around when you need him".

While I think the mods' recent actions were disappointingly silly and that their actions were worsened by poor communication, I understand that I can't always pick the cop - and judges - I want.  I also get that if I want the cops around when I get mugged, they're also there when I jaywalk.:smileyindifferent::smileyhappy: 

That's why pickup games of three-on-three can sometimes be as much fun as the more formal, staid full-court contests replete w/ referees.  Part of the fun can be in arguing over who fouled who.

It seems that the mods prefer the structure of  the full-court game, with or without consistent application of rules.  That's part of the game too.  Think about it.  Do you really think that Mike Jordan played alla those years in the NBA and never traveled?  :smileyvery-happy:

Bitchin' about refs is part of the full-court game.:smileyvery-happy:  Enjoy it . . . or play pick-up games.

As for the Etiquette vs. InSensitive "debate" . . .

. . . both sides have legitimate points.  If that can't be acknowledged by each, then it's no longer an adult debate - it's just a post-game brawl.:smileyindifferent:

JMO, of course.:smileyhappy:

The people who live in a golden age usually go around complaining how yellow everything looks.

- Randall Jarrell

ABthree
0 Kudos

Re: Is it dog food yet?

@Sardonicus

I think this thread is less an attempt to keep an argument alive, and more along the lines of a long goodbye.  :smileyhappy:

-- St. Basil the Great+