Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
LoseTheRadiosMa
0 Kudos

Re: Open letter to the B&N Admins

Those of us who were blocked (and some who survived the carnage) were called bullies and worse on the nook wall. It's all so childish, but people from the Kindle wall would come over & start <human excrement>. At first it was just the 'kindle is better' nonsense, but eventually things started getting personal, both on the nook wall and on the Kindle wall. You know it's personal when they start openly discussing what they're going to do & to whom it's going to be done. They had a few of us in their crosshairs & didn't stop until the so-called karma fairy paid a visit to the wall. To that extent, they'd copy threads & then edit it them to make it seem as if *they* were the ones being attacked. They're still posting on the nook wall, while the true supporters of nook & Barnes & Noble cannot because the admins blocked them.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree

@LoseTheRadiosMa

Not being a FB person, I had no idea that any of that was going on:  thanks for the images from a world I never knew existed.

I don't think that things will ever reach that point here. 

When the Taliban take over your hometown, you don't have much choice but to keep your head down and try to carry on -- if your hometown is Kandahar.

If your hometown is Detroit, on the other hand,you have more options.  I expect more a Detroit scenario here ... just faster.  :smileywink:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb

ABthree wrote:

mpebbs wrote:

Does anyone else miss the open antagonism between Michaelv and icebike?

Oh, God, yes!  I miss the both.  :smileyvery-happy:

Pity that the "Etiquette" gang never had the opportunity to go toe-to-toe with icebike; we could have sold tickets!

Not trying to go off topic,I but I missed this last night.  I remember when icebike and someone else hijacked 1.3 before it was officially released.  Boy, did we have fun with that one!

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

Re: Is it dog food yet?

ABthree wrote:

@Sardonicus

I think this thread is less an attempt to keep an argument alive, and more along the lines of a long goodbye.  :smileyhappy:

Eh.  I don't have any plans to go anywhere unless I'm forced.  :smileytongue:

The point of this thread was not to rehash an argument that should have been allowed to die.  If people want to continue that fight they can do so over on that other thread.

The point of this thread was to air a completely different concern.  That other issue and this one are only laterally related.  Yes, Sardonicus, we were begging for admins to come help those who need their help.  This thread is simply a continuation of that request.  :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
Sardonicus

[ Edited ]

ABthree wrote:

@Sardonicus

I think this thread is . . . more along the lines of a long goodbye.  :smileyhappy:

I hope you're wrong about that.  In fact, I think you are.

In my relatively limited experience with message boards, I've noticed that those who announce departure rarely follow through.  If they do, they're eventually drawn back by whatever lured them in the first place. 

Besides . . .

. . . Even with the Mean, Magic Moderators:smileyhappy:, "sensitive" Etiquette-Mongers:smileyhappy:, and nanny-esque Hall Monitors:smileyhappy:, these boards ain't so bad:smileyvery-happy:!

As I said, I hope you're wrong.  If not . . .

Big wheel keep on turnin':smileyindifferent:

:smileyhappy::smileyindifferent::smileyhappy:

The people who live in a golden age usually go around complaining how yellow everything looks.

- Randall Jarrell

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518

I'm not going anywhere voluntarily.  This is the same kind of fascination as a train wreck.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Correspondent
Debh366
0 Kudos

Dang, I'm not on these boards Fridays-Sundays.  What happened?  What kind of posts got deleted?

This is so frustrating.  Here we thought we had some decent admins back on here and now all we get is more frustration.

I did notice the one post Alan did last week, the long rant, is now gone.  Is that what you guys are talking about?

´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Debbie
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*
ABthree
0 Kudos

@Debh366

Yep, that's the one, along with the thread that it generated.

Meanwhile, the "Etiquette" thread that prompted Alan's response not only didn't get deleted, but the perpetrators got a pat on the head and an "attaboy" from the Admins.

Glad you posted your question when you did:  any minute now, those Admins will probably drop by the office, read a few posts, and frogwalk us all off to B&N jail.  Nobody would be able to answer your question then!  :smileyvery-happy:

-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Correspondent
Debh366
0 Kudos

LOL!  I'm actually surprised this thread is still live! :smileysurprised:

´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Debbie
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*
gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ABthree wrote:

@Debh366

Glad you posted your question when you did:  any minute now, those Admins will probably drop by the office, read a few posts, and frogwalk us all off to B&N jail.  Nobody would be able to answer your question then!  :smileyvery-happy:

Or to the "moderators' lounge". Some may not remember it from the hijacking of 1.3.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/WOW/td-p/517105/highlight/true/page/2

ABthree
0 Kudos

gqb wrote:

ABthree wrote:

@Debh366

Or to the "moderators' lounge". Some may not remember it from the hijacking of 1.3.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/WOW/td-p/517105/highlight/true/page/2

Oh, yeah, the old "Moderators' Lounge" treatment.  Please, anything but that -- I'm too old for a workover session in the Moderators' Lounge.  :smileysurprised:

-- St. Basil the Great+
ABthree
0 Kudos

Debh366 wrote:

LOL!  I'm actually surprised this thread is still live! :smileysurprised:

Maybe it was tough weekend and they haven't had their coffee yet. :smileywink:
-- St. Basil the Great+
AlanNJ
0 Kudos

It's probably just not time for the bi-weekly patrol...

ABthree

AlanNJ wrote:

It's probably just not time for the bi-weekly patrol...

Maybe Mondays are for training videos.

Hogan's Heroes: the Komplete Series, Kommandant's Kollection

-- St. Basil the Great+
AlanNJ
0 Kudos

Possibly but more likely this is their required reading material:

Car 54 Where Are You?

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

I loved Toody and Muldoon :smileyvery-happy:

I wonder how many recognized "Muldoon" in his later role as Fred Munster.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Distinguished Correspondent
PBReilley
0 Kudos

Desert_Brat wrote:

Or Al Lewis ("Officer Leo Schnauser") as Grandpa?

Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

PBReilley wrote:

Desert_Brat wrote:

Or Al Lewis ("Officer Leo Schnauser") as Grandpa?

Or The Honorable Chamberlain Haller in "My Cousin Vinny"

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
AlanNJ
0 Kudos

I was actually searching for the Keystone Cops but nothing came up so that link I posted had to be used instead... :smileywink:

ABthree
0 Kudos

The Rest is Silence

So, here we are at Wednesday.

This thread has run to three pages (probably six, if you're AlanNJ :smileyvery-happy:), and not a word from the New Kids on the Block.

Haven't seen them reach out to anybody in trouble, either.

Just saw them airlift in, further inflame lots of people's passions by taking sides in a typical Board fight, then vanish again, their work apparently done here.

Who'd have ever thought they'd be so easy to chase away?  :smileyvery-happy:

Sardonicus was right, and from now on I will be careful what I wish for:  and it'll be a long, LONG time before I wish that we had Administrators again!  :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

-- St. Basil the Great+