Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
EltaninPub
0 Kudos

Oz the way it was meant to be - Fully Illustrated

[ Edited ]

Hello. I'd like to announce that we (Eltanin Publishing, I'm the Editor-in-Chief Cathy Ryan) have published two books from the Oz series that are formatted as superbly as humanly possible. The Marvelous Land of Oz and Ozma of Oz include all the originaly illustrations - and if the illustrations were in color, they are in these ebooks (for people with Nook Color, or other Nook reading apps). They each have a clickable table of contents as well as an all new preface by Oz expert and Eltanin editor Joe Nusbaum. They are also DRM-free, so you can freely move them around to all your ereading devices. Here are links to the books:

The Marvelous Land of Oz [Illustrated]  

Ozma of Oz [Illustrated]  

We'd love some actual reviews (as opposed to people just clicking the stars), so keep that in mind if you buy one and enjoy it.

Thanks for your time, and happy reading!

Cathy Ryan

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Re: Oz the way it was meant to be - Fully Illustrated

Frequent Contributor
EltaninPub
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Josienjoe,

I was considering it, but I didn't want to be accused of "spamming" or multiple posts. Some discussion boards are pretty touchy about promoting books. So I figured I'd post in one place and see if I got yelled at :smileyhappy:

My first ereader was a kindle, and I still love it, but looking at these books' illustrations (many of which are color) on my recently purchased Nook Color... I must say, it was pretty sweet.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

EltaninPub wrote:

Josienjoe,

I was considering it, but I didn't want to be accused of "spamming" or multiple posts. Some discussion boards are pretty touchy about promoting books. So I figured I'd post in one place and see if I got yelled at :smileyhappy:

My first ereader was a kindle, and I still love it, but looking at these books' illustrations (many of which are color) on my recently purchased Nook Color... I must say, it was pretty sweet.

I don't know if there's a place on the boards for book promotion.  Mods don't do too much "yelling" around here, but you'll hit the appropriate audience by posting on the NookColor boards.

Good luck with your book.  I don't have young children :smileyvery-happy:, or a NookColor.

Frequent Contributor
EltaninPub
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

You don't have to be young to enjoy the Oz books, just young at heart! (or not so young - my husband was intrigued by one of the chapter-heading images in Marvelous Land of Oz that shows two beautiful young women kissing)

And the images look great on the basic Nook, too, they just aren't in color. (In Marvelous Land of Oz, about 10% of the 130+ images are in color, and in Ozma of Oz, more than half of the 100+ are color)

But thanks for the suggestion!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

EltaninPub wrote:

You don't have to be young to enjoy the Oz books, just young at heart! (or not so young - my husband was intrigued by one of the chapter-heading images in Marvelous Land of Oz that shows two beautiful young women kissing)

And the images look great on the basic Nook, too, they just aren't in color. (In Marvelous Land of Oz, about 10% of the 130+ images are in color, and in Ozma of Oz, more than half of the 100+ are color)

But thanks for the suggestion!

Hmm, I do have an iPad, and your price is very reasonable.....

Distinguished Correspondent
MegSLP

Random note: Wizard of Oz isn't a children's book. It is an allegory about the Industrial Revolution.
Frequent Contributor
EltaninPub
0 Kudos

Interesting thoughts, MegSLP. I'll have to have Joe, our Oz expert, comment on that. It's true that in Ozma of Oz Baum introduces the first “robot” figure in literature — Tik-Tok, the clockwork man — sixteen years before the word “robot” was coined! 

I believe that a book can serve multiple purposes. The Oz books ARE lovely books for kids, but also have many underlying themes, as you mention, that can interest adults.

Inspired Wordsmith
Colleen_Rose
0 Kudos

I picked them up and checked them out. They look fantastic!  Great job.

Colleen

Optimist: Someone who isn't sure whether life is a tragedy or a comedy but is tickled silly just to be in the play. ~Robert Brault
MegSLP
0 Kudos

@Eltanin--To me, they are like the Harry Potter books. Kids enjoy them but tontruly get all the underlying themes, you have to be an adult. Thanks so much though for the wonderful illustrated editions!
GordonF
0 Kudos

EltaninPub wrote:

Interesting thoughts, MegSLP. I'll have to have Joe, our Oz expert, comment on that. It's true that in Ozma of Oz Baum introduces the first “robot” figure in literature — Tik-Tok, the clockwork man — sixteen years before the word “robot” was coined! 

I believe that a book can serve multiple purposes. The Oz books ARE lovely books for kids, but also have many underlying themes, as you mention, that can interest adults.

Eh.... first, "robot" wasn't coined as borrowed from another language (Czech).

"The Steam Man of the Pairie" by Edward S Ellis in 1865 holds the distinction of being the first robot in literature. Certainly the first mechanical character.

There's also "The Electric Man" (Harry Enton - in his Frank Reade dime novels).

I'll concede that the Oz books introduced the first truly autonomous self reliant robot. But not the first idea of a mechanical man.

On another note, I am very glad these books as they are. I went looking for them around the start of the year and found a lot of poorly formatted versions. Thanks!

Stop At Nothing - Show Your Teeth
Contributor
Jaon
0 Kudos

I've thrown them onto my wish list and will be buying them once I attach a new gift card to my account.  Will you be doing the rest of the series as well?  I bought a bundle of all of them, but noticed while reading it that in places ther were entire paragraphs missing.  It would be nice to have them on my Nook in a complete form.

Frequent Contributor
EltaninPub
0 Kudos

Jaon, we do plan on doing them all, but it takes time to format all the images. We're also working on publishing some original books by new authors, so it is a matter of fitting it in when we have time. I'm guessing we'll probably have one coming out each month to 6 weeks.

If you'd like to be notified when we have new books out, you can email me at cathy@eltaninpublishing.com and ask to be put on the mailing list. You can specify if you'd only like to hear of our Oz related books, or of all our books, when they are released (that's the only email you'd get - one email when each book is first released).

And/or you can also follow us on twitter, where we announce our book releases: @EltaninPub

Glad everyone is finding them to be of high quality - that's what we are striving for.

Correspondent
Rocknsoul
0 Kudos

Excellent pricing! I just bought them. I'm interested to see if the color illustrations show up on my Android phone.

Thanks for the heads up!

Frequent Contributor
EltaninPub
0 Kudos

The color illustrations will show up in color on any device that can show color (Color Nook, or Nook apps for other devices, such as iPhone, Android, PC, etc.).

Enjoy!

Frequent Contributor
EltaninPub
0 Kudos

I just wanted to mention that I discovered that Ozma of Oz wasn't allowing the user to change the font - it was stuck on Times New Roman - on the Nook Color (I'm not sure if the user was prevented from changing the font on the eink Nook). If you bought it and it's not letting you change the font, just archive (delete) the book and then re-download it, and you'll get the fixed version. This is also the case with our fairytale, Chronicles of the Three Sisters - Forgotten Fairytales Vol. 1  (but is also now fixed).

Marvelous Land of Oz was fine, so no need to redownload that.

Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

I would also suggest posting in this Forum for all the Readers   This is where a lot of books Brought to everyone attention.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Book-Discussion/bd-p/eBooks

Frequent Contributor
EltaninPub
0 Kudos

Thanks, 03FLHT2, I'll do that. Interesting user name, by the way! :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
Sarah3973
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

So glad someone else out there is actually aware of this.  There are all sorts of political messages in the stories.  People look at me like I've sprouted a second head when I bring it up. 

I will be downloading these this week though.  I've been a fan since early childhood and have read all of Baum's Oz books.

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
Frequent Contributor
EltaninPub
0 Kudos

Hope you like (or like) them, Sarah! We're working on The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, since many people asked for that.

With regards to political and philosophical messages, I just saw Bengal Tiger in the Baghdad Zoo, on Broadway last week and saw a lot of similarities with the Hungry Tiger.