Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
TJBlog
0 Kudos

PLEASE Add Chinese Language Support!

I just heard from my friend that new Kindle can now display Chinese(Traditional and Simplified). Will you please add this feature to Nook too? I am eager to read Chinese on Nook without Calibre!

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

Re: PLEASE Add Chinese Language Support!

While reading a book on my Nook at a local Chinese buffet (books and endless food all at the same time...what could be better??), three of the waitresses came up to me to ask me about the Nook.  Their first question was "does it do Chinese?"  I didn't have the answer, but I do now. 

I totally agree...even though this is marketed just for the United States, we are a global society and I really don't think that having Chinese characters would be so difficult.  Obviously with .PDF files, it's no problem, but even EPUB should be able to display characters from other languages.

Frequent Contributor
zippyap
0 Kudos

I own a Kindle, so I also spend a lot of time on the Kindle forum. Yes, the latest version of the Kindle can handle Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Russian, Bulgarian, etc. However for the Chinese/Korean/Japanese fonts, readers are complaining that it's not of good quality.

So, if BN does go that route, is it a hardware issue, or a matter of including it in an update of the current software? If it's the software, I hope they'll take their time and do it well.

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

zippyap wrote:

So, if BN does go that route, is it a hardware issue, or a matter of including it in an update of the current software? If it's the software, I hope they'll take their time and do it well.

Definitely software.  I can't think of any reason the current hardware couldn't do this.

Contributor
firstrazor
0 Kudos

The Android OS of Nook has Chinese font inbuild. So if you copy a Chinese book into Nook, it will show the title and arthur correctly in Chinese in the library list. However unfortunately when you open the book, it shows all ? for the Chinese charactors, which means the reader has no link to the Chinese font inside the system.

1) Current Solution

you can put Chinese font inside the ePub and PDF file, and Nook will display them nicely! For ePub, you can use ePubBuilder software to integrate Chinese font. This software can actually build ePub file from TXT, HTML, WORDS, etc.

2) suggestion to B&N

make the link between the reader and Android Chinese font, so that we don't need to integrate the font into the file anymore. Probabely only one line in the firmware code, and it will save so much efforts for so many people out there. Please, B&N!

Frequent Contributor
lewellyn
0 Kudos

I've mentioned in the Cyrillic thread in the NOOK Q&A board that it's at least technically possible for B&N to "fall back" to the Android fonts (which are on the device as you'll see them in the Browser and in the UI, for example) for characters which the selected font cannot handle. There also is the apparent option of epub publishers including the appropriate fonts within the epub. I've not yet done that, myself, but other sites have instructions.

New User
fzhangnj
0 Kudos

really want to know if there is any good solution for Chinese support? 

New User
TianHua
0 Kudos

I bought the Nook thinking it was the best on the market and that it surely would support Chinese language.  I am very disappointed that my shiny new Nook can't display Chinese but the Kindle can.  If I can't get Chinese language support soon the Nook will be on Craig's List and I'll have to buy a Knidle.  I don't mean for this to sound like a threat but I will do what it takes to get what I want when it is reasonable.  I don't think the addition of Chinese Language is unreasonable,after all there is a large Chinese population in the US.

I hope B&N takes this to heart and gives us the ability to use the Nook for Chinese Language books.

Inspired Contributor
Plucknbach
0 Kudos

What is preventing B&N to go global. Why limit potential customers?

Maybe there is a perfectly good reason why B&N unlike Kindle doesn't sell abroad.  There are 6 billion potential customers outside of the U.S.A. 

curious.

Famous Last Words: "Hold my beer, and Watch this..."
Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

Re: What is preventing B&N to go global. Why limit potential customers?

Non-western font support:  This is an EPUB problem, but is being worked on by the EPUB developers as we speak (timeframe unknown though).

International sales: B&N is looking into it but once again this doesn't happen overnight and timeframe unknown

New User
jimmycjen
0 Kudos

Are you saying I can read Chinese PDF files in Nook Touch ?

Contributor
tomsterTS
0 Kudos

If you are creating your own ePubs and embed the fonts, it will work fine on Nook. 

New User
AtlantaBob

How quaint the B&N should claim they are an American compant, therefore doesn't need unicode.  Come on guys, we're a global society.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

AtlantaBob wrote:

How quaint the B&N should claim they are an American compant, therefore doesn't need unicode.  Come on guys, we're a global society.

I am at a loss here. Point me to an official B&N company statement where they have said this. It isn't merely a case of needing any alphabet to be available, but for translations to also exist.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
New User
lspSL
0 Kudos

Nook Simple touch has good hardware but the firmware is junk compare to Kindle.  I still can not make it read Chinese, and, in landscpe mode.

If mine is not deeply discounted, I would not buy it.