Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Badacid
0 Kudos

Package Deal for Hard Copy + eBook Coming??

Has there been any talk of package deals in the future? Meaning, u buy the hard copy of a book (because my wife won't go digital!) and get the ebook version as well? I would pay some sort of premium to add the ebook version to the hardcover price, but paying twice for a single book so I can have it on my nook is ridiculous. Long live the nook!

New User
Astrafive
0 Kudos

Re: Package Deal for Hard Copy + eBook Coming??

OMG, that is a GREAT idea- so, PTB- is that available or are they considering it???

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947
0 Kudos

There is a program much like this being piloted in a few Barnes and Nobles. Remember that this kind of thing is really up to the publisher, though.

Contributor
DevNull
0 Kudos

This would be an ideal situation. I wouldn't mind paying an extra $1 or something to get the digital version of my newly purchased paper book. Of course, this would largely be up tot eh publishers. With their notorious greed, who knows? I can only hope that the book industry adapts to the digital age quicker than the music industry.

Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

I've mentioned that sooo many times to booksellers, etc.  I just love that idea.  I'd certainly buy more books if they did that.  I read constantly and have an extensive hard copy library that I'll never stop adding to.  What I love is being able to read my hard copies at home and then have an e-copy on my e-reader that I can take with me everywhere.  The e-reader is great because I can take it with me to appts and not worry about ruining my book and I can also read at night and not worry about a book light (my husband loves that).  I refuse to buy 2 copies of my books.  I use my laptop right now, but I'd be first in line for a nook if they packaged hard copies and e-books.  I'd get through books in half the time and buy twice as many books, I'll bet.  I'd have to buy more book shelves, much to my husband's dismay.

I love the idea.  Perhaps they could offer a premium incentive for hardbacks via coupon or an online incentive with a purchase.  It's a great way to sell more books and the Nooks.

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner

As a bookseller, I think this would be a fantastic idea, especially if it helps us drive more DTB sales at our stores; I don't want this to be yet another thing that benefits BN.com and leaves the brick-and-mortar stores holding the bag.

As others have pointed out, though, it's entirely up to the publishers. Hopefully the pilot program will be successful and be allowed to spread across the company.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Conniecats
0 Kudos

I'd be tickled pink if the book publishers would agree to do this with a large majority of books.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

O'Reilly Publishing does this already to some extent.  They are a technical book publishing company.  If you purchase the DTB version of a book you can get the e-book version (if available) for $4.95.  Strangely enough, I just found this out this morning when I registered one of my technical books.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Contributor
hjames
0 Kudos

No if they did that, cheapskates like me would buy the DTB, gift it to someone else, and keep the ebook for myself. Hence a loss sell :smileywink: Seriously, i think it will happen, but not until the publisher see an erosion in HC book sales and want to revive it.
Wordsmith
steffiebaby140

Personally, this isn't something that would be of much use to me.  I got my Nook because I have zero available shelf space for DTBs as it is, all my bookshelves are already stacked 2 deep lol.  Really the only time I buy DTBs anymore is when the ebook isn't available at all, so it really wouldn'tbe of benefit to me.

With that said, I can see why people would like this deal and I think in the future its a good possibility.

In a perfect world the chicken would be able to cross the road without his intentions being questioned.
Contributor
Geronimom
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'd do this in a heartbeat. In fact, I already asked at my local store if that was something they did or were considering. I like the idea of having both for the same reasons given by a previous poster. If Brick & Morter stores wanted to make sure they were included, then why not make the option available only with books on the Nook "read in store" feature? That way the person is already in the store and obviously is somewhat interested in the book. If I knew I could buy the e-book copy and also get a nice discount on the DTB version at the same I'd definitely be likely to do so. Awhile back I purchased a civil war history  e-book called "Vicksburg" (I'm a history buff). I was disappointed to realize that although the book was quite interesting, there were a number of maps in the book which were pretty useless to me on the Nook because of their illegibility due to the small size. I wished I could have both as so I could use one for the maps, etc., and the other to read when I'm on the go.  This would probably also be a similar factor with tour guide books, etc. Wonder if they'll ever seriously consider this....?

Frequent Contributor
china_cat
0 Kudos

This is a great idea - but what I would REALLY like to see is some way to buy the digital versions of DTB versions I already have. Like someone else said, the biggest reason I purchased a nook was to reduce the overall MASS of my library - that, and it's extremely comforting and convenient to have tons of books in one small device. I often find myself out somewhere and waiting forever for something - it's great to pull out my nook and read whatever I want. However, I refuse to repurchase all of the books I already own just so I can have them in digital form.

I think it would be great to be able to somehow show that you purchased a hardcopy book and be able to get some kind of discount on the digital version. I would even be willing to turn-in/trade SOME of my DTB versions for a digital version.

I don't see how that would ever happen though.

I do like the suggestion of being able to buy a DTB version and a digital version in a package deal though. But I don't see myself wanting to buy any hardcopy books in the near future.

Distinguished Correspondent
AllenR
0 Kudos

This would be a great system for those of us that like the portability of e-books, but miss the physicality of a DTB on the shelf for posterity

Lucien Buonaparte speaking of a young lady... "ever fresh, not like a rose, but like a good radish"
Napoleon Buonaparte on the reason for marriage: " I want to marry a womb" - Those Buonapartes sure knew how to woo a woman!

Reader 4
TARDIShire
0 Kudos

I love the idea.

There are some books I want to have signed by the author, and others which are too precious to take out of the home, and some with great drawings or pictures which don't translate well electronically. With this idea, all the bases are covered. Including, unfortunately, the 'gifting' issue brought up earlier.

So on the other hand, it seems to me to be something of a waste for bookstores and publishers - but then, so does the concept of public libraries, but I'm sure glad they exist.

And would the reverse be an option: if I bought an e-book first, loved it and wanted an HB version, would there be a discount for that?

Well, one can ask too much... But hell, why not ask, eh?

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Not sure how appealing I find this idea. It would be nice for those books that both my wife & I want to read, since I have the nook and she prefers a "real" book.

Like many, part of my love of ebooks is the space factor, I still buy certain, select authors in hardcover, but some I just don't need on my cramped shelves (or in boxes, closets, storage units, etc.)

Of course, the ones I love it would be nice to also have as ebooks, so repeated readings don't turn them to tatters.

So, I guess on further thought, I'm for this. As long as it's a reasonable cost. Say an additional $2 – $5.

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

If I wanted a hardcover and the ebook was available at a low price, they wouldn't need to be bundled, I'd just buy both in a heartbeat.  For example, I bought the hardcover of Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.  I wanted the hardcover because it's a beautiful book -- gorgeous cover art, elaborate endpapers, and numerous illustrations inside.  I can't imagine there is any way those features could transition well to the ebook version.  But at just over 1000 pages, it's HUGE!  If the ebook weren't almost as much as the hardcover, I'd have bought it as my reading copy in addition to the hardcover.

Correspondent
Rasyr
0 Kudos

DevNull wrote:

This would be an ideal situation. I wouldn't mind paying an extra $1 or something to get the digital version of my newly purchased paper book. Of course, this would largely be up tot eh publishers. With their notorious greed, who knows? I can only hope that the book industry adapts to the digital age quicker than the music industry.

There are niche markets within the book industry that already do something like this.

For example,  in the roleplaying games sector of the book industry, many small publishers will often bundle sales of thier electronic products with physical products.

For the company I work for (one of these small publishers), we sell versious versions of a book in print media (soft cover, hard cover, some special covers). We then sell the electronic version of the product for 50% to 60% of the price of the lowest costing print version (so, if a soft cover print book costs $20, we sell the electronic version fo $10 on average).

Then, if the customer wishes to order both the print and electronic versions at the same time, we increase the cost of the print copy by 1/2 of the cost of electronic copy.

Of course, our tiny company still hasn't figured out how to make something like that work with brick & mortar stores. But we continue to explore options we go onwards...

Tim Dugger
TANSTAAFL