Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
tinidancr
0 Kudos

Page turning

I can't seem to turn the pages in my Nook by touching the screen (not 100% sure where Im supposed to touch ) the manual says to touch the area where you order books once it goes dark but no luck I touched where the "page " is and it turned but only once or twice. Also how do you name your Nook mine will be christened Nirvana cause its amazing (except for the page thing LOL)

Correspondent
Doc_Nukem
0 Kudos

Re: Page turning

[ Edited ]

It takes a little trial and error, but once you get the hang of it, it becomes easy. You need to make a very light brushing motion on the darkened LCD screen--right-to-left for page forward, and the reverse for page back. The actual distance traveled by your finger or thumb doesn't really matter. It works with as little as a half inch or so.

The absolute key thing to do is to have your finger moving before touching the screen. This makes all the difference. It doesn't even matter if your finger is not moving directly right to left or left to right, as long as it is moving partially along one of those axes.

You can do the same thing on the black bar between the LCD screen and the e-ink screen, too.

Edit: It also doesn't matter where you brush the screen--just a light brush anywhere on the LCD or the bar with the finger moving before the actual touch.

New User
tinidancr
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for the info ,it's kind of hit or miss  but its happenning alot more than before you"re right a light touch works almost every time :smileyhappy:

Contributor
FredFlintstone
0 Kudos

I also had a difficult time getting used to swiping to turn pages. I have found that using the black bar is much easier than the touch screen. Now it is the only way I turn pages!

BDJ
Contributor
BDJ
0 Kudos

I had a very difficult time, too, at first.  Until someone explained it to me as your finger is a plane that is coming in for a landing.  It touches down and then lifts off again in one sweeping motion.

I seem to have to tap my LCD panel for it to work.  But the key is that your finger has to be moving.

I never use the buttons now.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Conniecats
0 Kudos

This is the advice I give when people ask me how to use turn the page by swiping:

Open up the book you are reading or want to read.

Wait for the touch screen to go black.

Then, anywhere on that touch screen take a light swipe. It helps to have your finger already in motion and, in a continuous motion, swipe about three inches and then pull your finger back up off the screen while it is still moving.

It's kind of just like when you are swiping through the icons on the touch screen.

Once you get the hang of it you will find that you can do it with very little effort and can even make tiny swipes.

It works well for me but it did take me a few days to get the hang of it.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Go to settings>device>display>edit profile and you will be able to christen your nook.

May also be a good idea to check out the user guide.  It's on your nook and can also be downloaded onto your computer.

Search this board and the Nook Q&A and Support board for "swipe."  I think it's Icebike that has posted a video on how to turn the pages.  Don't try so hard - it's like flicking a speck of dust off the screen.

Happy reading :smileyhappy: