Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Dyrinn45
0 Kudos

Page turns with the touch screen!

I just got my nook yesterday, and after experimenting on page turns with the touch screen and seeing how unreliable the normal drag from right to left seems to by i figured out a better way to do it.

You start about an inch or two from the left side of the touch screen, on the very bottom, and drag your finger up at a 45 degreen angle for paging forward, and do the exact opposite for paging back. I drew a little image in paint to explain.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

Re: Page turns with the touch screen!

Looks like a southpaw method to me. :smileywink:

You can also just do the thumb swipe (above) on the right.

And a bottom to top thumb swipe on the right backs up a page.

You can also do a short swipe on the horizontal band between the screens, only an inch of movement needed.  

Frequent Contributor
Dyrinn45
0 Kudos

i tried all of those, only the diaganol one worked for me...yea, i flip with my left thumb because i hold the nook with all fingers on back and thumb on the front.

Contributor
jon-the-elder
0 Kudos

Yay....at last someone thinks about us Lefties !

"As in music, so in life"
Frequent Contributor
Taubin
0 Kudos

I had no idea you could change pages using the touch screen portion lol

I'm still a Nook Newbie :smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Correspondent
jynclr
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Leftie checking in here! :smileyvery-happy:

I can attest that Dyrinn45's method works when holding the nook with the left hand. Also, Icebike's method works when holding with the right hand too! hehehe

While I've used both of their methods, I generally do the right to left "across" swipe in the middle of the screen with either hand, and any finger. The thing about this method is that it has to be a "short and sweet" swipe - about the same "distance" that you would do with the 2 diagonal swipes. Too long of a swipe on the touch screen and it doesn't work. This is for both forwards and backwards.

One thing I have noticed using this method is that sometimes I'll have another finger touching the touch screen when I try to swipe. This will not work. I think the touch screen does not know what exactly to do when there are all these fingers touching it. So, when I do an across right->left to turn the page forward, or left->right, I make sure nothing else is touching the bottom touch screen.

Once you learn how to do this is becomes second nature. Just takes a bit of practice.

Now, as for the swipe on the band between the screens, I have never been able to get that to work although I know others have. I've wondered if it was because I had a DecalGirl skin on my nook. Oh well, no matter. I've been swiping fine using the two diagonal methods shown here and the swipe across too.

Wordsmith
steffiebaby140
0 Kudos

I have no idea either lol.  Until I did it on accident when reading the other night and thought...well that's cool :smileyhappy:

In a perfect world the chicken would be able to cross the road without his intentions being questioned.
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Leftie here, too.  This is the swipe I use. :smileyvery-happy:

I figured it out by doing the mirror image of icebike's video.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Contributor
Joanna44JL
0 Kudos

Thank you!  You may want to add that you have to wait until the touch screen goes black before you can use it for page turns. 

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers.
Charles W. Eliot, The Happy Life, 1896
US educator (1834 - 1926)
Frequent Contributor
xtina823
0 Kudos

I have been using the right to left method, but sometimes it doesn't turn the page. I will have to try this method too. I don't really like using the buttons to turn the pages.

Owner of a Nook, March 22, 2010
Name: Gizmo
Frequent Contributor
Dyrinn45
0 Kudos

the right to left quick swipe in the middle seems to work about 25% of the time when i do it. the diagonal corner swipe seems to work 80%+.

Frequent Contributor
psjcal
0 Kudos

I'm a righty but most often use left thumb to swipe -- however, have found left index finger, right thumb or right index finger also work. My swipe is short from right to left & from any upper to lower point of the touch screen. The swipe has become so much 2nd nature I had to think about how I actually accomplish it.

Frequent Contributor
MLBerry
0 Kudos

I think that the trick is to make sure you start the swipe from the white border.  Your finger should be moving before it reaches the touch screen.

Reader 2
chasity1
0 Kudos

It says it will do it in the intro, but it doesn't have very detailed instructions! Thanks a bunch!

Inspired Contributor
tattooedmommie
0 Kudos

Before the recent software upgrade I could never get the touch screen page turn to work...

But now.. that's all I use!! Love it!! That's probably one of my favorite features now, it's like turning the pages on a real book... kinda!

-- Jonna

When the Power of Love becomes stronger than the Love of Power, the world will know peace - Jimi Hendrix
Inspired Contributor
Sapphire329
0 Kudos

I'm new to my Nook and I tried for about a week to do the swipe and couldn't do it. I felt crazy. Then I read the guide again and it said the touchscreen has to be black in order for it to work. Ever since then it has been working like a charm.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Since I swipe/page turn most of the time I set my touch screen to turn off after 10 seconds rather than the default 30 seconds.  I'm assuming that also saves a bit of the battery as well.

►Without order there is chaos◄
New User
Roro426
0 Kudos

Folks,

I don't care if you are a leftie or rightie YOU ALL........ROCK!!! Thanks for the info.

Frequent Contributor
gram944
0 Kudos

not having any luck at all with any of the swipe methods. The few times I have gotten it to work the forward swipe turns the page backwards. I have a screen protector installed but still could not swipe before that. What gives???

Correspondent
jasmayer
0 Kudos

gram944 wrote:

not having any luck at all with any of the swipe methods. The few times I have gotten it to work the forward swipe turns the page backwards. I have a screen protector installed but still could not swipe before that. What gives???

Are you sure you're going from right to left? This was counterintuitive to me at first, until I realized I was mimicking turning the page, from right to left.

In general, I prefer the swiping method. I find that if I land on the screen with a soft "thump" and then just kind of quickly, well, swipe my finger, it works fine. But if I land on the screen too gently, it doesn't seem to register too well. Now, I'm not talking about abuse, just a definite contact, lol.

One other thing to remember - the touch screen isn't really "touch" sensitive, it's skin sensitive. Make sure it's the pad of your finger, not your fingernail or something.