Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
bambi10
0 Kudos

Pandigital Novel vs Nook

Looking to purchase an ereader.

Any input on the new panadigital novel vs nook, like nook for eink but love the color of the

panadigital novel... any input?

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Re: Pandigital Novel vs Nook

@bambi10

The Novel will have the same issue as any other LCD display -- you're staring into a light source.  Not so bad for working on your computer, where you're looking away frequently -- although I for one still end the day with a lot of eye fatigue -- but most people will find it much more tiring for reading a book than an e-ink display is.

It DOES look neat, though.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Aside from the LCD display, the big issue with the Novel is that they don't claim Adobe EPUB compatibility. At this point, it's not known if it works with Adobe EPUB or not. If it doesn't, for DRMed e-books you would have to buy from Barnes & Noble, and you wouldn't be able to check e-books out from the library.

One retailer (Kohl's) has claimed the ability to read library e-books, but nobody else is claiming Adobe EPUB capability for the Novel. FrogAlum sent an email to Pandigital asking if the Novel supported Adobe EPUB, and their reply was basically, "What's that?"

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

bambi10 wrote:

Looking to purchase an ereader.

Any input on the new panadigital novel vs nook, like nook for eink but love the color of the

panadigital novel... any input?

Battery Life, Battery Life, Battery Life.

Try reading the PanDigital in direct sunlight vs. reading the nook.

I used to read eBooks on a PocketPC and thought it was great.   I liked the backlight and color screen, especially at night.   BUT, I'd get about 4 hours of reading per charge and it was next to impossible to read in direct sunlight.

The nook, while 'black and white' is far easier to read, it gets better in direct sunlight and it's battery life of about 10 or more hours is vastly superior.

I'm so happy with it...that I'm selling off my PocketPC as that was the only app I used regularly.

If you read a lot, the longer battery life will be a major consideration.   If you want to read outdoors or anyplace that's brightly lit, the eInk vs LCD screen is another huge plus.

Color is nice, but unless you're reading technical books with lots of charts and illustrations, or trying to look at an atlas or collection of photos....it is of little value in book reading.   And to be honest, for a technical reference manual or the like...I'd prefer the hard copy to an eReader.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary. 

---------
Don
Correspondent
Rasyr
0 Kudos

Here is a CNet introduction to the Pandigital Novel - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLSv3yLutd0&feature=related

Some of the things mentioned.....

1) No 3G connection, but it does connect via wifi.

2) No e-ink page, so you have to deal with glare, if you plan on reading outside or near light sources. However, it does have the night reading feature that reverses page/text color.

3) In this review - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKQbOBUP18A&feature=fvw - the reviewer mentions that Pandigital is supposed to come out with an update in a few months that will allow for loading whatever android apps you want on the device.

I am hoping that the next nook upgrade allows for #3 as well. It would be nice to do without softrooting. :smileyvery-happy:

Tim Dugger
TANSTAAFL