Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
HoldenMH
0 Kudos

Re: Parental Controls

To GreatDaneMom,

The books and apps are worth the risks, but that doesn't mean we allow them open access to the internet without any restrictions.  That would be the equivalent of having violent and obscene books, images, and videos lying around your house and just telling your children not to let curiosity get the best of them.  It's human nature to be curious and explore, and we can't sit with them hand in hand ever moment they are looking at their e-reader.

New User
HoldenMH
0 Kudos

To Gandalf1369, who said the following: Seems to me that the above items should be controlled by the parents and not the device's manufacturer. It just seems too easy now-a-days to get someone else to take over our responsibilities.

And To Sygram, who said the following: I'm sorry, but are you people for real? The last few post here seem made up to me. Does everyone really want the Nanny State to take over for you? Do all of you have some kind of blocking software on your PCs? Do you have the V-chip activated on your television? Do you follow your children to their friends homes?

You must not have kids.

The books and apps are worth the risks, which is why we bought it, but that doesn't mean we allow them open access to the internet without any restrictions. That would be the equivalent of having violent and obscene books, images, and videos lying around your house and just telling your children not to let curiosity get the best of them. It's human nature to be curious and explore, and we can't sit with them hand-in-hand every moment they are looking at their e-reader.  That’s not good parenting either.

Parents who are looking for parental controls are the ones who are doing the job of parents.  It’s the parents who think they know what their kids are doing (so they think that they don’t have to implement controls) who are being irresponsible.  Even the best kids could accidentally (or on purpose) come across some seriously disturbing images/content on the internet – we all know that.

We are just trying to let our kids be kids for a while before having to face the reality that there are seriously twisted individuals in our society that post images and content that would be offensive to 99.9% of society.  We have to do our best to protect them from this garbage while not sheltering them so much that they don’t ever get to benefit from the perks of technology.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

It is not an unreasonable request to have an account setting that simply says "Do not show me erotica in seach results."  Simple and straightforward, or it would be if B&N ever bothered to put ny effort into categorizing their books.  I do searches for Science Fiction and a significant portion of the results are mystery, romance, and yes, erotica.  If they don't accurately categorize the books in the first place, all the tools in the world won't help.

New User
Safety1st
0 Kudos

Agree - even google search engine provides some safety measures - their site allows a safesearch feature (though I don't know how well it works - but I applaud the attempt).  I would love to see some similar feature in the BN Shop for Nook.  Here is what Google offer.

• Strict filtering filters sexually explicit video and images from Google Search result pages, as well as results that might link to explicit content.

• Moderate filtering excludes sexually explicit video and images from Google Search result pages, but does not filter results that might link to explicit content. This is the default SafeSearch setting.
        •      
        • No filtering, as you've probably figured out, turns off SafeSearch filtering completely.
New User
debngrizz
0 Kudos

I purchased a nook hd for my grandson for Christmas and I want to know how to prevent him from being able to access my profile on his nook. I haven't been able to figure out any other way than creating his own account and that isn't the solution I want.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Well... First off...

You posted in a forum dedicated to the 1st Edition Nook -- which hasn't been sold for almost two year!

As for the question...

If you don't want to share the B&N account, you have only one choice -- create a new email/CC registration on B&N and assign it to his Nook.

Otherwise, you have to create yourself as primary profile on his Nook, password lock that profile (as it is the one that controls the shop account and other profiles); password lock the shop, and create an adult (I presume) user profile on the Nook for him.

Baron Wulfraed