Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 4
paqgal
0 Kudos

Parental controls for internet are a MUST for the next update!

My 11 year old daughter wants a NookColor more than anything for her birthday, but since there are no parental controls for the internet, we had to say no.  PLEASE Barnes and Noble....... include internet parental controls on the next software update since more and more kids are wanting a NOOK. We need to have the ability to control what they can view online as well as be able to turn the internet connection on and off with a password.  Along the same lines, any of the "free books" or other books from Barnes and Noble that are inappropriate for kids (even to look at the cover!) should be in a section by themselves that is inaccessible without a code if you want it to be. The NookColor is fabulous and I am completely enjoying mine, but I would love to be able to get one for my daughter as well as soon as there are parental controls..... Thanks!

Correspondent
Rose_Bee
0 Kudos

Re: Parental controls for internet are a MUST for the next update!

Get her a Nook 2.0.  It has no web browser so there's no internet to try and lock up.

Correspondent
Rose_Bee
0 Kudos

Also this is the Nook General Discussion board.

You might also want to try posting at the Nook Color General Discussion Board.

Distinguished Correspondent
Nerdgirljenn
0 Kudos

One thing you can do is not enter the passcode to your wifi. (I know our wifi is set up with a passcode).  That way there is no internet access, only what you load...that is one way to do it.  When you want to update or add (YOU enter the passcodes, then delete them again when you turn the wifi off)...the table will function without access to the internet with the games and books it has already loaded...

Just a thought...

"The earth laughs in flowers."~Emerson
"Where there is love, there is life." ~Ghandi
Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Nerdgirljenn wrote:

One thing you can do is not enter the passcode to your wifi. (I know our wifi is set up with a passcode).  That way there is no internet access, only what you load...that is one way to do it.  When you want to update or add (YOU enter the passcodes, then delete them again when you turn the wifi off)...the table will function without access to the internet with the games and books it has already loaded...

Just a thought...

That's great—if the NC never leaves the house and/or nearby neighbors don't have a powerful, unsecured Wi-Fi hotspot. (I live in an apartment complex & you'd be amazed at how many people leave their system open.)

I have no call for it personally, but you would think parental controls for the browser would be a simple no-brainer.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

Actually while I agree Parental controls would be a good and desireable thing, I deny that it is a must.

If one positively MUST have Parental Controls then one MUST do some research and buy a device that has that functionality OOB.  To purchase a device and then demand a change seems a bit overboard to me.

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

Weird.

I never worried about Parental Controls when my children were young because the only computer hooked to the Internet was in the family room, which was a public place that everyone used.

Now days with all the small personal devices such as iPhones, iPads, etc.. which have internet access it would be much harder to monitor a childs usage.

P.S.

I've never seen Parental Control software which took more than one day for a child to by-pass (typically finding out how by asking friends and school mates)

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

If one positively MUST have Parental Controls then one MUST do some research and buy a device that has that functionality OOB.  To purchase a device and then demand a change seems a bit overboard to me.

Do any e-readers have Parental Controls? All I know is the Kindle and the NOOK do not...

Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram

Parents need to parent, period.  No 'parental controls' or nanny software is going to work.  Something ALWAYS gets through.

People have to learn that you can't shelter your children from everything all the time, you need to teach and instill your morals and talk with your children on a regular basis.  Nothing they see is going to scar them for life.

Sorry, needed to vent, I tried resisting the urge to respond to this thread but, oh well...

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

KingAl wrote:

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

Do any e-readers have Parental Controls? All I know is the Kindle and the NOOK do not...

As far as I know, none of them do, but I could be wrong.

Even so, buying something that has never advertised it could do X and then complaining because it doesn't do X is disingenuous.  

HOWEVER, this particular poster hasn't bought yet and is hoping/wishing/requesting a feature so that she may buy another.  Totally different than the multitude of threads prior where the posters had already purchased and threw temper tantrums because said features were not present.