Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
mezimer
0 Kudos

Periodical notification on nook screen

I have both a nook and a nook color registered to my account. I purchased a subscription to a magazine on my nook color and now on my nook I have a constant pop-up on my the main screen of my nook telling me I have a new periodical available. It's driving me nuts and I was wondering if anyone knows how to disable the function.

Wordsmith
Tweedledee
0 Kudos

Re: Periodical notification on nook screen

I have the same issue on the home screen e-ink, it is there for a while then, goes away on its own after about a week or so.

I think that it is B&N's way of being courteous and letting you know that the magazine or newspaper was delivered in case you forgot.  At first it was annoying, but now after about 9 months, I ignore it.

It will go away on its own, but I have never found a way to eradicate it. 

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
Bertrand Russell
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Yep.  I'm glad it's there.  My assumption is that it's there until the periodical is opened.  I've never tested this, though.  My magazines are short story magazines so I don't necessarily read them when they show up.  I read them when I'm between other books.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Contributor
SherylNantus
0 Kudos

Actually, I've been unable to open the NYT book review for a week or two - it downloads fine to my PC so I can read it (and it works better on the laptop screen, to be honest) but the notification message refuses to leave the Nook home page *and* I can't open it on the Nook at all. When I try it flashes and then goes back to the list screen.

it's not a dealbreaker but I've rebooted a few times and it persists. Easy way to work around it is to leave the Nook on another page, such as My Documents or B&N Library but it's a bit annoying...

???