Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
MegSLP

Re: Petition to B&N Management

I'm also one of those that has never had an issue with CS or my NOOK.  I have called CS a couple of times for various issues and I have never waited more than 5-10 minutes (which is reasonable to me) and the people were always courteous.  One wasn't sure exactly what to do to help so she immediately got her manager to help me out and they solved the problem. 

Overall, I have been more than pleased with my NOOK and have enthusiastically recommended it to friends. 

AndyfromVA

I've had no issues either in the seven months I've owned my Nook.  B&N's customer service isn't perfect - there's always room for improvement in any business.  But a petition to B&N seems a bit extreme to me.

Frequent Contributor
ellsbells930
0 Kudos

While I haven't had any issues (other than a few minor ones since the 1.5 update) on my nook, I have seen plenty of people on here & the facebook page who have had numerous CS problems.  Both of my daughters got a nook for Christmas & it was almost a week before we could download any books.  My one daughter didn't get the 1.5 update on her nook until last week.  It took two weeks before my other daughter got the 1.5 update.  Prior to the NC release & the NOOK 1.5 update, I rarely saw anyone have a customer service problem.  It seems as though BN was completely unprepared for the NC release, the 1.5 update & the # of Christmas sales.  It's just simple logic that if people got a NOOK or NC for Christmas they would want to register it & download books THAT day.   They should have been prepared.  I don't know if this is true or not, but someone posted that BN did a system update 12/24.  That just shocks me that they would attempt that the day BEFORE they should expect the highest access to their servers. 

As someone who has always worked in customer service heavy industries, being that unprepared is really unacceptable.

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

AndyfromVA wrote:

I've had no issues either in the seven months I've owned my Nook.  B&N's customer service isn't perfect - there's always room for improvement in any business.  But a petition to B&N seems a bit extreme to me.

And of no real use, other than making some folks feel better. :smileywink: 

Seriously, I've been very fortunate, overall. I've had my NOOK since hte lst week of November last year. The ONLY real problem I have had was access to this forum and the BN site on Christmas Day. 

I am having a problem with my NOOK for PC app. I called CS twice one morning, very minimal time on hold, though they were unable to resolve my problem. I"m thinking I'll try again in a month or so. 

LisaB

PBReilley

re410 wrote:

I haven't had a single issue that was worth posting about.  The two times I called support they were helpful and solved my issue.  The hold time was long, but really not longer than I've waited elsewhere. 

Same here re issues - I acquired my Nook wifi last August, and the only problem I have had is a frozen Nook (my fault - wasn't paying attention and the battery ran down overnight). I searched the boards for the solution and fixed it.

I have not had to contact B&N customer service, so can't comment on that issue. (I have had to contact CS of various companies over the past Christmas holiday - phone and email - and all were less than 100%, some far worse than others.) 

The staff of my local B&N are all extremely knowledgeable, so no problems there, either.

Contributor
iandix

Well with me ..it's now day three and still each time I call the "book Audit" section, the recorded voice goes to transfer me and the phone call drops out.

Also still no reply to my email ...

This is not a joke, I'm thinking about taking an add out in a newspaper asking for B&N to reply to me!

Bibliophile
Jenniisme

I haven't had any problems that warrant calling BN.

My nookclassic works like a dream.

My nookcolor is amazing as well. I have bought around 150 books since christmas, some free - some not. They download immediately, my charges aren't coming in as fast as I'd like so I am not sure of the GC balances BUT that is a minor nuisance.

I do wonder if the people who are having the issues are in a geographically *lost* area and that's why they're having download issues.

Inspired Contributor
aharey

We are a three nook family (one 3G, one Wifi, and one Color). I got mine last May and had the cracked bezel problem, which was immediately taken care of- phone CS was awesome- sent me a new one. A few months later, my 3G went crazy (still don't know what went wrong)- and the store immediately gave me a new one (along with some tea at the cafe). We bought the wifi for my 14 year-old and my husband got the color. We've had nothing but great experiences with ours.

I've never had any issues with downloading books and I have over 200 books. Any minor issues I've had, I solved by searching this board.

Sorry you're having trouble, but I think like previous posters have said- you need to talk with a manager. Don't write off BN for this.

New User
saythis
0 Kudos

I had been a satisfied user until like the OP, I began to have downloading issues where before there were none. I don't get how people who have no issues would even waste the time to post on this thread - just to say - they don't have issues. There are plenty of people who are having issues and I would gladly sign my name to a petition. Whether it is useless or not who cares? it's the effort behind it - you never know what can happen if enough people make noise. In the long run I can say I tried everything up to and including calling CS several times and wasting hours of my life on an issue with my nook that previously didn't exist. MY experience is that MY issue was not resolved within 5-10 min of calling customer service - maybe the people with satisfactory CS calls have easier issues to deal with and that's not what this thread is about. CS should be prepared to deal with any and all issues in a reasonable time frame. I was told it must be my wi-fi despite the fact that my nook would not download two paid for books at ALL using ANY wi-fi. We pay too much for these nooks and the books (I have over 200) to not have CS deal with an issue and essentially say something to the effect of "it's your fault". For those who don't have issues I hope you never do and if you do you may just understand how frustrating it is to have a useless piece of expensive equipment lying around and no one willing or able to assist you with it or even replace it when they find that they don't have the answer.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MWorrell
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm on my 4th Nook (just arrived yesterday) within the one year warranty period, so I am definitely acquainted with some shortcomings of the device. I'm a little worried about just how far I'll get with this current unit once my warranty is up. I handle these things like newborn babies; not sure what else I can do. That said, B&N phone support has been a bit of a bright spot, and the features of the Nook that I enjoy are must-haves now.

I'm hoping B&N will develop an improved e-Ink Nook in the next couple of years, and that mine lasts until then.

SlaughterS

saythis wrote:

I had been a satisfied user until like the OP, I began to have downloading issues where before there were none. I don't get how people who have no issues would even waste the time to post on this thread - just to say - they don't have issues.

And I don't understand people who create brand new user accounts to make just one post to a complaint thread :smileyhappy:

To Original OP:

If Nook Customer Service s*cks and your nook has enough problems that this is an issue then by all means, stop reading on your nook. 

I'm not quite sure how this makes the B&N Brick and Mortar Stores bad, or why you should quit going to one after having enjoyed it for "20 years".  But hey - you have as much right to a pissed off knee jerk reaction as anyone.

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
B&N Bookseller
MollyO

Doug,

There are multiple employees from B&N who respond here as noted by our "bookseller" badges. Obviously, for security reasons, we cannot and will not discuss policy or plans however we all work to address general problems as often as possible. As there are numerous valuable pieces of information for us as well as multiple users posting at any given point in time, the best way to go about receiving the most satisfactory one-on-one customer service will always be in-store or through our customer service lines of communication.

Thank you for your insight.

Molly - CRM2723
Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

I'd sign that petition,  I went from being a Nook/B&N cheerleader to feeling pretty crappy about it based on several negative experiences with customer service.     :smileysad:     It would have been nice to see B&N outshine the Kindle with the Nook but instead I find myself wandering over there thinking of switching because I'm tired of all the hassle.

Linda

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005

MollyO wrote:

There are multiple employees from B&N who respond here as noted by our "bookseller" badges. Obviously, for security reasons, we cannot and will not discuss policy or plans however we all work to address general problems as often as possible.

Molly, I know you folks are there and I appreciate that you are, and what you do to help. But as you've noted, the booksellers aren't in authority and can't discuss policy or plans. I don't think the original complaint was that there aren't booksellers on here. The complaint was that there was no official response to this thread, and you're not in a position to give an official response.

Official responses basically don't happen on the forums. Occasionally Michael-V will provide a bit of pre-approved canned party line, but it's hardly a response. Those tidbits are also totally lacking in candor. That's just how B&N operates; candor is a word that's not in their vocabulary. (This week's sacking of almost all of their book buyers and assistant buyers was characterized by B&N as "a small number of organizational changes ... designed to better align our resources with our business". [eyeroll])

By "general problems" I meant things like:

• failure to have enough server capacity in place for Christmas, or even now;
  • offshored "overflow" Customer Service people who weren't adequately prepared and/or weren't given sufficient authority to solve many of the problems they were presented with, and still aren't;
  • billing failures that are still happening almost four weeks after Christmas;
  • undownloadable e-books;
  • "zombie" e-books (as one poster called them) that resulted from billing failures and which can't be downloaded, can't be deleted, and can't be re-bought;
  • warranty exchange units that never were shipped or never arrived;
  • no eReader PDB support for NOOKcolor; and
  • the bugs introduced and features removed in the NOOK 1.5 update.

You booksellers can't help on these problems; they have to be addressed by the folks at B&N HQ and BN.com HQ, and they aren't reading this.

Again, thank you and the other booksellers for being here. We forum members just wish that someone with authority from B&N would drop in and actually respond to the issues being raised. We also wish we would win the Lottery. I'm not sure which is more likely to happen. [Voice of God: Help me out here. Buy a ticket, already! :smileyvery-happy:]

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Doug,

I absolutely agree with you.  That said, what are the alternatives?  Kindle or some un-branded e-book reader?  I hate the idea of the Kindle but if at some point if I ever have an unsolvable B&N problem I could see myself jumping ship. Right now everything works fine for meso it's not an issue.

I was never a B&N customer prior to the Nook.  I always preferred Borders because their sales were much better on DTB's.  Also most books I read came from the library (as they still do now only in e-book format).  I only purchased the Nook because of the device.  I hate the idea of buying into Amazon's infrastructure.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Voice of God: Buys a lottery ticket for Doug.
Voice of God: "Doug, Please enter your credit card number and billing information in your next post."

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005

Alan, what I do is just accept that B&N is an extremely secretive operation. Sometimes I shake my head in wonderment, like how they've kept the $5 NOOKbook sale a secret. Sometimes I scratch my head in puzzlement, like at this week's pink-slipping of their book buyers. In any event, I know better than to expect an answer, especially a straight answer. The B&N personnel I've personally dealt with have been fine people. The organization, though, could stand to learn a lot about communication, both internally and with their customers.

Personally, my NOOK has worked flawlessly for the past 10 months. I noticed that it's developed small cracks at the page turn buttons, and when I called Customer Service last weekend everything went fine, albeit at a slower pace than it did before NOOKcolor burst onto the scene, and for the first time I was talking to an offshore CS rep. I've never had a direct problem; if I isolated myself from the NOOK "scene", I'd be pretty darned happy with my experience.

My frustrations are purely from being involved. I see things going on with B&N that are sometimes inexplicable. I try to help folks and often find that there's no help for them short of B&N making some significant changes. And yes, many times its the customers who are out of sync—"I want free e-books of all of my print books… and a PONY!" Being involved in the NOOK universe is frequently a surreal experience, and it might be fun in a "trippy" sort of way if the NOOK universe didn't give birth to so many angry people.

Anyway, I'm sticking with my NOOK (well, the refurb replacement that's probably arriving today or tomorrow). If I ever give up on B&N, I can always load it with Adobe EPUBs from elsewhere. Which was the big reason I got a NOOK instead of something else. But before it comes to that, I'll just withdraw from the NOOK scene and enjoy the peace.

AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

My Nook has been great so far.  But if I ever decided to switch I'd buy a Sony rather than a Kindle.  I wouldn't buy a Kindle as long as it is incompatible with public library books.

Contributor
iandix
0 Kudos

I also love the hardware and I really don't mind the online book buying experience, I know that Amazon is easier (and better) search feature, but I have had no real problem finding any book I wanted on B&N site. (I would never buy a kindle.. don't like the hardware and it does not use epub)

My only problem has been the lack of support they give customers who do not live near a B&N store. This is a major area that they should have had up and running at the same time they decided to start selling the nook.

They do not respond to emails, I have tried for 3 days to call without being able to speak to anyone and they appear to avoid helping people on their own forum. The people who have stated "oh but they are still busy from the Christmas period" may I ask ..how long will this go on? Why didn't they hire extra servers during christmas (other companies do) and why don't they farm out the support service. There are companies out there and that is all they do, supply extra phones and staff to help out during busy periods.

Once you get a bad name in an area like after sales support, it's very hard to get a good name back, no matter how well you fix things. Remember one unhappy customer tells 3 or 4 other people about their problems, it does not take long for a company to start seeing sales drop.

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

<snip>

Anyway, I'm sticking with my NOOK (well, the refurb replacement that's probably arriving today or tomorrow). If I ever give up on B&N, I can always load it with Adobe EPUBs from elsewhere. Which was the big reason I got a NOOK instead of something else. But before it comes to that, I'll just withdraw from the NOOK scene and enjoy the peace.

I'll be interested in hearing how your refurb is. I missed what the problem was that required a replacement? All I know is, you are on the bright spots on this board and have had numerous posts that have helped me and others. I take your pros and cons more seriously than the one timers. 

LisaB