Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Re: Phasing out Nook?

[ Edited ]

If not I'll bite the bullet and figure out how to remove DRM and put my books on whatever I get to replace the Nook.  It's just a device.

That is, of course, assuming that my Nook stops working.  No reason to replace it if it still works and does what it's supposed to do.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238

[ Edited ]

mjk2007 wrote:

I really, really hope they don't.

E-Ink is so much better than a backlit LCD screen for normal, long-form reading.  It's still the better choice for readers who are primarily interested in reading standard books that consist of just text.

Plus the battery life advantages that go with the E-Ink display are especially useful for an eReader.  I like being able to take my Nook with me for a week-long vacation, and not have to worry about bringing a charger along with me.

I adore my e-ink NOOK as well, but I would never be able to bring it on a week long vacation without a charger.  While B&N and others like to measure the battery life in days, it's really meaningless since it says nothing about how many actual hours of reading one gets out of a charge.  I get about 10-11 hours or straight reading time, or about 1000 page turns.  I easily go through that in 1-3 days.  In fact, my NOOK has never lasted longer than 3 days without needing a charge if it was being used.  My battery life is average and considered normal.

It's all well and good to state that the battery life on the NOOK is better than that on the NOOKcolor, but it isn't that much better.  I get 8-10 hours of reading time on my NOOKcolor, which is pretty close, actually.

As to the OP, all electronic products get phased out eventually.  It wouldn't surprise me to see a new e-Ink NOOK soon to replace the current one.  I'm quite happy with the one I have.  It isn't going to suddenly be unable to read ebooks, so I don't see any reason for worry.

New User
drac2you
0 Kudos

I sure hope this is only a rumour!! I just got my nook last year! :smileysurprised:

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

The Nook only came out in December 2009 so 99.9% of us here probably only got it last year...

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

sooner or later of course there will be a nook classic 2.  Apple is like up to version 5 (or maybe even more) of their ipods.  There are different driod phones out there, always new ones being released.  There was the Nintendo DS, then a DS Lite, then a DSi, now they will have a 3d version in the spring.

I am not concerned at all if they come out with a Nook II as long as the original still can download books, connect via wif etc.  which I am sure it will.

as far as thinking folks should get a discount on future releases, that is just completely nuts.  If I by a Samsung TV today, I cannot go into Best Buy in 14 months, say I want to turn it in and want a deep deep discount on their latest model.  Heck I can't take my Weber Grill back to Lowes next summer and say I want the newer one with the auto light feature and with a discount.  it just does not work that way.  WHY WHY WHY do folks think they should get some discount on the next gen device (if the color is even that).

If there is a nook classic II I am telling you this place will be flooded with just as many comments from folks that got a classic within 4-6 months that they should get that for a discount or even free.

The nook will only be phased out if they change the FORMAT of the books.  Just likethe fact you can still play mp3's on a ipod gen 1 or 2 device (or whatever itunes format there is - you get my point).  may not be as flashy but if the format is still the same then what does it matter if it still works?

Inspired Contributor
dtmarshall
0 Kudos

I doubt they'd stop producing the nook at least until there's a touchscreen color e-ink version to replace it. Even then, they'll surely keep supporting it until there aren't any left under warranty.
Don't Panic.
Contributor
jon-the-elder
0 Kudos

Just as you say....we have been so well trained from birth to rush out and get the "latest, biggest, improved....etc". Now the next step is to be given discounts for the next generation gadget we convince ourselves that has to be held in our possession.

On the other hand, I have an 8 year old MP3 player that still performs very well and a five year old iPod that does the same..

"As in music, so in life"
Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA

jon-the-elder wrote:

Just as you say....we have been so well trained from birth to rush out and get the "latest, biggest, improved....etc". Now the next step is to be given discounts for the next generation gadget we convince ourselves that has to be held in our possession.

On the other hand, I have an 8 year old MP3 player that still performs very well and a five year old iPod that does the same..

I agree with you in principle, but I know darned well that if B&N comes out with a new and improved Nook Classic, I'm going to buy it.

Frequent Contributor
Bearymore

RSC_Nook wrote:

as far as thinking folks should get a discount on future releases, that is just completely nuts.  If I by a Samsung TV today, I cannot go into Best Buy in 14 months, say I want to turn it in and want a deep deep discount on their latest model.  Heck I can't take my Weber Grill back to Lowes next summer and say I want the newer one with the auto light feature and with a discount.  it just does not work that way.  WHY WHY WHY do folks think they should get some discount on the next gen device (if the color is even that).

I would guess that B&N has made far more money from my Nookbook purchases than they did from my original purchase of the Nook. Should they update the Nook to compete with an updated Kindle, I would imagine they would like to retain the revenue stream from my book purchases rather than give it to Amazon or some other competitor. If so, it would be in their interest to give me a discount for a Nook upgrade to keep that revenue stream coming rather than seeing it go to a competitor. It's kind of like a cellphone contract. Verizon (or whoever) gives you a discount on a phone when you renew your contract to keep you from going to a competitor. The money's in the software not the hardware.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

great points bearymore - kind of the old strategy of giving away the razor so you can sell the blades.  I agree B&N would be smart to offer some type of discount, but what I am somewhat addressing are the folks that are coming on here basically demanding they get some type of discount or whine becuae they did not when the nook color came out.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Bearymore wrote:

Should they update the Nook to compete with an updated Kindle, I would imagine they would like to retain the revenue stream from my book purchases rather than give it to Amazon or some other competitor.

Since most of us have opted for open systems over closed systems, Amazon isn't really much of a threat. 
Now, if some future updated Kindle is ever EPUB compatible, THEN the cat will be among the pigeons for sure, and pricing will go crazy.  :smileyvery-happy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Bearymore wrote:

Should they update the Nook to compete with an updated Kindle, I would imagine they would like to retain the revenue stream from my book purchases rather than give it to Amazon or some other competitor. If so, it would be in their interest to give me a discount for a Nook upgrade to keep that revenue stream coming rather than seeing it go to a competitor.  

Seeing as you can't (and are unlikely to any time in the near future be able to) read your B&N epubs, your other  vendor epubs, your .pdbs on a Kindle, this incentive isn't really as big as you'd like to claim.

If you have invested a lot in B&N ebooks, you're not going anywhere.  You can't read them on (almost) anything else.  There's no reason to incentivize your purchase of a new device, unless they drop the epub format.  Most of us won't dump our libraries because the competitor added a few bells and whistles.  They need to get other people to buy the hardware so they can sell them books, too, so the incentive needs to be to non-NOOK users.

Does it suck to be us?  Possibly, but there's no incentive to B&N to offer us any sort of upgrade; we have their hardware, the main competitor's books don't work on it, and most NOOK users particularly appreciate the open format compatibility of other vendor's books and the feature of using the library.

Frequent Contributor
RobinDB
0 Kudos

If they bring out a thinner model that would be nice.

Inspired Contributor
ivondale
0 Kudos

Just as an aside, if you buy a new Ipod through Apple, you can turn in your old one (it used to be "in any condition" not sure if it still is) and receive a 10% off credit on a new one.  That would be a nice gesture, but I agree not necessary. 

Distinguished Correspondent
smiller492

RobinDB wrote:

If they bring out a thinner model that would be nice.

I compared my nook classic to a Kindle (I think it was a 3).  The K was smaller, thinner and lighter with the same size screen to read from.  It also had the ugly buttons at the bottom and was dark gray which IMO seems harder to read from.

If the next gen nook classic stayed the same with the replaceable battery, eink and was smaller and lighter I would probably buy one.  But the NC is not for me.  And a K will not be welcome in my house  :smileytongue:

Contributor
JessParizek
0 Kudos

I really like my Nook Classic too. As an adult, I do not read books with colored words, pictures so there is no need for the NookColor. If I need access to the internet for anything other than to purchase a new NookBook, I will get on my laptop, Droid phone, or PC.

I just hate how the support is slowly dwindling for the Nook Classic and the accessories options as well.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

JessParizek wrote:

I just hate how the support is slowly dwindling for the Nook Classic and the accessories options as well.

What makes you say the support for the nook classic is dwindling ??

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1

Anthony1970 wrote:

beachreadJN wrote:

Nook owners should be given the opportunity to purchase a Nook Color at a discounted price. Very dissappointing to be unable to select some of the new magazine and newspaper offerings in addition to the books I already purchase for reading on my Nook. Time to move on to other alternatives I suppose.

Do you know how many have posted this same thing since NOOKcolor came out???? Too many. Its disheartening to see that there are so many people out there that think like this. Sorry but that is just not common sense thinking. You are of course not entitled to any kind of rebate on a nookcolor. Your current book purchases will work on any other nook platform. You are not losing your purchases. You wouldnt expect a rebate on a $900 computer 6 months down  the line would you????

Funny how we get so many of these 1 post newbies saying the same thing.

This actually got me thinking...  If you have a nook but want a nookColor you can kind f get a discount if you no longer want you nook classic.  You can do a trade in at Best Buy for your nook classic and use the Best Buy gift card or check towards the purchase of a nook color.  When you do a trade in ypu have 2 options - a Best Buy gift card or a check to be mailed to you which is for less than the gift card (since they're not getting your "business back in return).  I just looked on their site and if you were to trade-in your nook classic 3G you could get either a $98 gift card or a $63 check.  Since they sell nooks you could get the gift card to apply towards a nook color.  (wi-fi only nook classic currently has a trad-in value of $73 for the BB gift card or $47 for the check).  This might be something worth looking into for individuals who feel the need for a "discount" to "upgrade".  They tae many different gadgets and you can get a trade-in estimate on their site.  I've personally never used their trade-in service but thought I'd mention it since a lot of people have never heard of it.

Contributor
whorledcrzy
0 Kudos

yeah....no kidding......I love my nook color but wouldn't give up my nook classic for anything.  I love the fact that with my Nook Classic I can still download books if I'm not near a wi-fi spot.  It's a great backup and I don't want to be without it.  

My nook color is a whole different ball of wax..it's a great e-reader with perks...but it isn't the same as my classic.  I can't imagine buying a VCR and then two weeks later, taking it back and wanting a discount on a Blue-ray..player. 

B&N Bookseller
RedRapier
0 Kudos

Sales for the classic NOOK are very strong at my location, and there has been no indication of the NOOK being phased out in any way shape or form.  I doubt highly that the people you heard this from were speaking from any informed source

my life is a Soap Opera, and I want a new head writer!