Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
want2know
0 Kudos

Re: Phasing out Nook?

OK, I got mine too but what happens if it breaks and you need it replaced because you purchased the extended warranty?

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

So far there has been NOTHING official from B&N regarding this that I know of.  It's a rumor started by engadget.  I wouldn't worry about it until B&N makes some sort of official statement.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
Scooter_Moonpie
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

Scooter_Moonpie wrote:

Ugh! This morning I stumbled across this :

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/01/barnes-noble-phases-out-nook-3g-e-book-reader/

They state that Amazon KIndle is the king of the hill....quite an annoying thing to read first thing in the morning,especially since I haven't had enough coffee to make me human.

All of this is probably based on the engadget article from yesterday.   I'm just sitting back and wating to see what the Nook 2nd Generation will be.  I  personally don't care if they phase out the 3G model.  I've already got mine.  :smileyhappy:

I get what you're saying.I have the 3G as well and love the silly thing but what if my baby explodes?What will I do?Where will I go? Oh the agony!!!
Hopefully,this is just a rumor and if not,well,maybe they will come out with a new and improved 3G Nook.Maybe Amazon is trying to scare the dookie out of us.Ya never know :smileywink:

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Reader 2
needsanswers
0 Kudos

I understand the difference between the 3G and the WiFi, however, I have the most time to use it in a place that does not have WiFi access.  I don't have access to WiFi internet anywhere but going to a McStarbucks or the like, and if I'm going to trot all over creation to get the thing to work, I might as well just go to the real library/bookstore.  The purpose of an e-reader to ME is convenience.  I do have internet at home, but it's not wireless, and I don't want to pin my hopes on some neighbor having forgotten to password protect their wireless internet.  If this is errant, please explain to me, as I'm just learning this fancy technology stuff.  I don't have TV by choice, and my phone is a basic cell, so anything more complicated is a learning experience (you should see me operate a laptop mouse...!)

My question is basically this:  I want both the 3G and the library access, limiting my options to the Nook 3G and the Sony Reader Daily Edition (which has worse reviews from what I can see).  If they are going to be phasing out the 3G, I am not sure if this is smart to purchase one now before we have enough information.  Should I buy something that sounds perfect for my needs atm, and risk it going away soon?  I don't have a lot of funds at my disposal, so this gift to me is a Big Deal.

And if Barnes and Noble was phasing it out, why in the world would they go public with it officially this early when it would drop whatever sales they were getting from them?  Money is money...  They still have stock, but may or may not be interested in manufacturing more d/t lower demand.  They still have to sell their stock.  (Not to mention majorly tick off people that just got them for Christmas and are probably within the return window?)

Grr, I'm going to call them.  Doubt that gets me anywhere, but who knows??  I can have a little hope, right?

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

@needanswers,

Two things:

1. You don't NEED either wi-fi or 3G to make use of the nook.  You said you have internet access at home - simply connect the nook (either nook classic or NookColor) to your computer via the USB cable and sideload all the books you want to the nook.  You would also use the same method (as a matter of fact YOU HAVE TO!) to borrow ebooks from your library and then transfer them to your nook using Adobe Digital Editions.  Having 3G ability is convenient yes - but not essential.

2.  Barnes & Noble, at least to the best of my knowledge, have NEVER officially said that they were going to discontinue the 3G model.  It has been posted on the engadgets website, but at this point, it is still a rumor.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Reader 2
needsanswers
0 Kudos

Soooo, I just got off the phone with the Barnes and Noble people, and they had no idea that this was even an issue, they wrote down both the websites that are claiming that, and state that they are absolutely NOT phasing out the 3G version.  They also stated that they would be making a statement about that in the next few days as well, as they are bringing this matter to the powers that be right now. 

And still Mr. Guy, I want the 3G so I can dl books when i have the spare time at the OTHER place, NOT home (where I hardly am, lol).  I know it's not necessary for most people, but for me, it is.  Hence why I want that one, lol.  I'll save the little time I have at home for browsing the library : )   Glad they are not phasing it out, now I can happily get some Nookie : )

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

want2know wrote:

Just wondering what would happen to the extended warranties on the 3G models that we purchased if they can't replace them?  Anybody have an idea?

IF B&N has actually stopped importing 3G/WiFi models -- still unconfirmed -- there are still units in the pipeline.  And even when they run out, there are probably still plenty of refurbs on hand. 

I expect that there will be replacement units for anyone who needs one under an extended warranty.  And if by chance they run out, they can do as Square Trade will do on their extended warranties, and pay out the value in money.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+